Need reassurance about CTC for older!

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Love2Learn

Need reassurance about CTC for older!

Post by Love2Learn » Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:59 pm

I have a rising 7th grader, 12 y/o, as well as 5th, 1st, and PK. We are just finishing PHFHG (the olders, that is) and have enjoyed cementing the flow of history this year. The kiddos commented recently that they have learned the most this one year than any other :) .

I have a concern that just won't go away :? - my oldest is at the upper age/grade range for HOD. I am a little uneasy that the CTC guide is written with the 4th/5th grader in mind and although the extension package gives more mature reading, the assignments and core history and science books are the same as for a 4th/5th grader.

Is the work load enough for the older students, with high school right around the corner? :shock:

Thank you for helping me with this question. :?

my3sons

Re: Need reassurance about CTC for older!

Post by my3sons » Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:25 am

I think that the extensions are perfect for the ages they're intended. CTC is going to be a very meaty program, so as long as you are having your older do the extensions and have appropriate LA/math, I'd feel very confident it's enough. :wink:

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Carrie
Site Admin

Re: Need reassurance about CTC for older!

Post by Carrie » Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:56 pm

I just want to pop-in and assure you that the content in CTC is very appropriate for the target age range on the guides (which is ages 9-11 with extensions for ages 12-13). The Student Notebook really raises the level of the study and the independent level of the guide makes a huge difference in the level of the lessons as well. CTC is definitely not for kiddos who do not place into the guide on that part of the placement chart, and it will require a strong learner. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at the level of content in the program! :D

Blessings,
Carrie