Newbie question about removing book binding

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
krismoose

Newbie question about removing book binding

Post by krismoose » Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:38 pm

This may be a silly question, but here goes...We're using The Reading Lesson with my son, and we're both very excited at his progress. The book, however, is hard for him to keep open in front of him. Has anyone removed the binding to 3-hole punch or spiral-bind it, and if so, what's the best way to remove the binding? Do I use an x-acto knife with each individual page? Can I hand it to someone at a large office supply store and have them do it all? Thanks for your help :D
Kristen
Loved LHTH & LHFHG :)
DS8 (2nd) WWE1, HOD dictation, Sequential Spelling, SM 2B, VP OT/AE & SOTW1 history, Song School Latin, Getting Started With Spanish
DD6 (K) Saxon Math 1, VP Phonics Museum K
DD3 cutting, gluing, more cutting :D

acts29stl

Re: Newbie question about removing book binding

Post by acts29stl » Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:49 pm

Our Kinkos in town (FL) will spiral bind a book for $5. I've done this with all my HOD manuals. It works great and keeps the manuals looking nice!
Psalm 27:4 "One thing I desire of the Lord, that will I seek; that I may behold the beauty of the Lord and meditate in His temple."
ds(13)& dd(12) MTMM, DITHOR
ds(10) CTC, DITHOR
ds(9) PHFHG, DITHOR
ds(7) LHFHG
dd(5) LHTH
dd(4) LHTH
dd(2)
dd(10-3-15)

krismoose

Post by krismoose » Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:02 pm

Do I have to prepare/remove the pages in some way, or can I hand it over as-is?
Kristen
DS8 (2nd) WWE1, HOD dictation, Sequential Spelling, SM 2B, VP OT/AE & SOTW1 history, Song School Latin, Getting Started With Spanish

Mom2Monkeys

Post by Mom2Monkeys » Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:10 pm

I was thinking about doing this with dd's R&S grammar textbook. It NEVER stays open to the right page! :?
Thanks for reminding me! :wink:

You should be able to just hand it over and tell them to remove the binding. They can 3-hold punch it for you, too.
~~Tamara~~
Enjoying HOD since 2008

DD15 long-time HODie finding her own new path
DS12 PHFHG {dysgraphia, APD, SID}
DS9 PHFHG
DS6 LHFHG
DD new nursling

icukirt

Post by icukirt » Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:10 pm

Just take it to Kinko's and they will do it all for you. If you don't have a Kinko's...Staples or Office Max might do the same.
Kirstin
wife to Scott since 2001
step-mom to ds (14) in private school
mom to ds (5 1/2) will start LHFHG 2009-2010
mom to dd (2) who is speech delayed and has just started speech therapy

mskogen

Post by mskogen » Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:21 pm

I have taken many books to OfficMaxx and had the spine cut off. Sometimes I have it 3 hole punched (which u can use theirs for free) and put in a binder. Others I have had them spiral bound. It isn't much and well worth it. HTH
Blessings,
Michelle

Wife to dh since 2000
ds 15 years old, World History
ds 14 years old, World History
ds 11 years old, RTR
dd 9 years old, Preparing
Enjoyed LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR, Rev2Rev, MTMM, WG, enjoying WH

krismoose

Post by krismoose » Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:46 pm

Thanks, all...It was incredibly easy. I did LHTH as well, so it would be easier to copy from. :)
Kristen

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:32 am

Kristen,

While you can easily do whatever you wish with your guides, I did want to mention (for any other moms that may be reading this thread) that we pay extra to have each HOD guide have a lay-flat binding. These work well if you just press down on the book's center when it's open. The pages are actually stitched so the book won't come apart! At our house all of our guides lay very flat and have held up well, and my boys drag them everywhere. :lol:

So, if you love a different binding, by all means do what suits you best. However, I wanted other readers to know the HOD guides do lay flat. :D

Blessings,
Carrie

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:36 am

Kristen,

My HOD guides lay open wonderfully! :D But...The Reading Lesson is falling apart at our house, too. I'm thinking I need to make a trip to Kinkos to spiral it before we lose any pages. :shock:

:D Kathleen
Homeschooling mom to 6:
Grant - 19 Kansas State University
Allison - 15 World Geography
Garret - 13 Res2Ref
Asa - 8 Bigger
Quinn - 7 Bigger

Halle - 4 LHTH

krismoose

Post by krismoose » Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:04 pm

Carrie,
Thanks for the info about the HOD guides. I had LHTH spiral bound because the little printer/copier we use at home is set up rather inconveniently for copying from large books. I don't imagine I'd want to change any later guides.
Kristen

LeAnna

Post by LeAnna » Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:02 am

I am going to have to have my Reading Lesson spiral bound too. It's falling apart, and I need it still for a couple of kids. :D I might spiral bind my LHTH too, just because I need to be able to copy it in my copier.

LeAnna :D
Love my husband of 18 years this year;
Love my 3 teenagers--13, 15, and 16. They keep me young, but hanging on for dear life! :lol:
Used HOD in the earliest years with all three of them!