Phonics question

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
my3sons

Phonics question

Post by my3sons » Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:24 pm

Hi gals! I'm getting ready to finish our very basic phonics program (Jolly Phonics), and then I'm going to begin Hooked on Phonics. My question is whether I should just keep doing it through the summer or not. I like to take the summer off, but I'm worried we may really end up backtracking if I stop in the middle. Have any of you been in the middle of phonics when you took a big break? If so, did it cause your child to forget a lot and have to redo parts? Thanks for any help in advance!
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

mn_kids

Post by mn_kids » Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:53 pm

My middle child was smack in the middle of phonics last summer and wanted so badly to read so I opted to continue with a little more relaxed schedule. I also didn't want him to backtrack or lose ground.

6timeboymom

Post by 6timeboymom » Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:27 pm

we usually follow a more relaxed outline in the summer, so I would vote for keep going but do less.
Darci
mom to 6 great boys-"they've got me surrounded!!"
using: as much HOD as possible! :wink:

Tansy

Post by Tansy » Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:48 pm

Here is a statistic from my dear ol Dad. its from the p.s. system tho.

Kid who get the whole summer off "3 months" will need one whole month of review to bring them back to where they were a the start of summer vacation.

This was why all though the summer we do a very relaxed form of school. a little bit of this and a little bit of that to keep those mental muscles flexed.

No flabby Mental muscles Pls! :shock:
♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫
Dyslexics of the world Untie!
Adoptive Mom to 2 girls
http://gardenforsara.blogspot.com/
♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:03 am

We go year round for that very reason. After a whole summer they forget what they learned and I forget my groove. We took a month off at Christmas and honestly they were fine but I was completely off my game. So I guess I am not good for more than a month off. :?
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)

MamaMary

Post by MamaMary » Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:50 am

My3sons,

I totally understand :) I would go to a 3 day a week schedule. It's a little break, but not a complete stopping.
Mary, Mama to 4 amazing sons and wife to one incredible husband! Come check us out on the blog: http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:00 am

Thanks so much, ladies! Mary - I like the 3 day a week idea, and that seems like a happy medium to me. I'm worried he'll backtrack in phonics otherwise. I like to get our dc reading as soon as possible because it opens so many doors for learning, and it also gives my very busy sons something quiet to do for enjoyment! :wink:
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie