4 year old in Little Hearts?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
mn_kids

4 year old in Little Hearts?

Post by mn_kids » Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:15 pm

We are currently doing Bigger with my two older boys, eager to move onto Preparing and have worked through most of Little Hands with my soon to be 4 year old girl. Would it be too much to start her slowly(taking 2 years to finish) Little Hearts? If not do you have any other suggestions? Thanks!!
Christa

Jessi

Re: 4 year old in Little Hearts?

Post by Jessi » Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:53 pm

I started when my daughter was 4. We did half pace and it worked great. We are now going full pace. If you think she can handle listening to chapter books with few pics, K math level, handwriting, and phonics, I'd say go for it. :-)
Jessi
~~~~~~~~~
Wife to Brad for 10 years
Emma- 7 Beyond, DITHOR,
Logan- 4.5 LHTH, R & S workbooks
www.ourmodernmemories.blogspot.com - personal blog
www.modernmemoryfilms.com - our wedding videography site

mariaw

Post by mariaw » Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:57 pm

I am doing Little Hearts with my 6yo, and my 4yo tags along. He does fine in most of it, but I don't have him do any of the writing or reading (unless he initiates it). He does the math games (without the workbook), listens to the stories, and does the crafts, but he has trouble sitting still and will run around for a lot of it. He has had very thoughtful questions relating to the Bible topics that have surprised me, but I don't think he really gets it like my 6yo does.

I haven't decided yet how I will proceed with him when it's his turn for Kindergarten...I'm just taking it a step at a time. But, on the one hand, I would hate for him to "miss" the real meaning of so much of what we're studying because he wasn't mature enough to get it yet. On the other hand, he may be retaining more than I think, and he'll progress just fine with his older brother through the next books (but still on level with the reading and writing). We'll see.
dd9 - Preparing with R&S 3 and Singapore 2
ds7 - LHFHG
ds5 - LHFHG
dd1.5 - in charge of hiding all our pencils

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:14 pm

mn_kids wrote:We are currently doing Bigger with my two older boys, eager to move onto Preparing and have worked through most of Little Hands with my soon to be 4 year old girl. Would it be too much to start her slowly(taking 2 years to finish) Little Hearts? If not do you have any other suggestions? Thanks!!
Christa
We started LHFHG when our ds was 4 1/2 yo. If you take around 2 years to finish it, I think it would be just fine. I like Jessi's advice here...
If you think she can handle listening to chapter books with few pics, K math level, handwriting, and phonics, I'd say go for it.

I also like Mariaw's advice here...
I'm just taking it a step at a time. But, on the one hand, I would hate for him to "miss" the real meaning of so much of what we're studying because he wasn't mature enough to get it yet. On the other hand, he may be retaining more than I think, and he'll progress just fine with his older brother through the next books (but still on level with the reading and writing). We'll see.

With dc on the young side of HOD programs, these are excellent considerations. My dc are on the young side of the target age ranges, and I've just taken time to choose the pace carefully, always with the thought of slowing down to half-speed when needed. :D We've loved it, and things have gone very well. :)

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie