DITHOR question

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Alison in KY

DITHOR question

Post by Alison in KY » Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:41 am

If I used the book packs with DITHOR, based on Reading level I'd buy level 2/3 for my 10 yr old son. Do you read through every one of these books in a year? Or is it a 2 year program where you read the level 2 side one year and then the level 3 side the next. In the book packs where there are more than one book listed under a genre, are those choices to pick for your book pack, or are you reading both? I'm trying to figure out if this is doable for my son who doesn't love reading so much. I don't want to overwhelm him with these books and extension books and fun reading books so I'm trying to see how things balances out.

Thanks for any help.

Alison in KY

mamaloves4

Re: DITHOR question

Post by mamaloves4 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:03 am

Hi,

We are using DITHOR this year and we love it! I purchased the 2/3 level student book, but the level 3 book pack. (there are two separate book packages--level 2 and level 3). Conveniently with the books was a 'reading schedule'--what I mean, is that it indicated which book was for each genre and how many days to spend on it--5, 10, or 15. If you use DITHOR 3 times a week I believe it will take two years to get through the 9 genres, however, for us, we will get through 7 genres this year and my plan is to start next year by finishing up the level 2/3 student book (we would have 2 genres left) and then rolling into the level 4/5 student book and book recommendations for each genre.

The amount of reading varies, sometimes it is as little as 3-4 pages and sometimes up to 9 pages a day. It all depends on the length of the book and whether or not you are reading it through in 5, 10, or 15 days. The best part about this program is that is so customizable!! (is that a word?) My daughter devours books without really thinking about what she is reading and I wanted her to learn to savor and to slow down and really get to the 'heart' of the book--it has done that. I love to hear her say--oh! I love this book!

I want to encourage you to customize it for your son. Just pick one book and read it over the course of 15 days. Use this to 'whet' his appetite for more--so pick a really great book and give him a little bit to read in it everyday and see what happens!

Jess
Jessica
married for 12 years to Chuck
dd10--Creation to Christ
dd7--Beyond
ds4--LHTH
dd2--filling our days with joy and LHTH fingerplays and stories

RachelB

Re: DITHOR question

Post by RachelB » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:27 am

Thanks for sharing your excitement Jess! My daughter devours books too, so I'm excited about her learning to slow down, and think about what she's reading. We're starting today with our biography kick-off!
Rachel

mommy to
Kailee - 12
Gracie - 8
Kaden - 7
Mollie - 3
Brynlee - 5 months

2 ^^ in heaven
happily married to Brian for 12 years

2014- 2015 - Using RevtoRev, Preparing, Beyond & maybe LHTH!