Do I need to add spelling?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Mrs. Lilac

Do I need to add spelling?

Post by Mrs. Lilac » Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:47 pm

I tried to search for "spelling" but it said it was too common of a word.... :)

I was going to do MFW for this year, and they recommend Rod & Staff's Spelling by Sound & Structure.....
If I end up going with Beyond, do I need to add a spelling program or is what's included complete enough?

Thanks everyone?
Wife (2000)
DD "Opal" (5)..finishing K, making crafts
DS "Teddy" (3)..battling autism, loves everything Maisy
DS "River" (3)..puppies, lots of giggles

A blog about great books for kids.....http://lilaclibrary.wordpress.com

FiveLittlePeaches

Re: Do I need to add spelling?

Post by FiveLittlePeaches » Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:38 pm

Mrs. Lilac,

Spelling is included in HOD starting in Beyond. Actually, in that program there are two lists to choose from. Then Bigger offers spelling lists and dictation.

Joy
Using LHFHG and loving' it!

Mom2Monkeys

Post by Mom2Monkeys » Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:20 pm

Not only is it included in all guides, (either as lists or dictation), it's quick, easy, and highly effective! So much more effective than any formal spelling program I've ever used! You'll love it! After a short time, you'll see the first fruits and in time, you'll be amazed! :D Can you tell I like it? LOL
~~Tamara~~
Enjoying HOD since 2008

DD15 long-time HODie finding her own new path
DS12 PHFHG {dysgraphia, APD, SID}
DS9 PHFHG
DS6 LHFHG
DD new nursling

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:25 pm

Ditto to what Tamara said! I have loved the spelling in HOD. It has truly turned our boys into terrific spellers. I like that the way it teaches spelling is a way that can be used to spell well for the rest of our lives. The "does it look right" CM technique of spelling is priceless - one of those gems of a skills that seems too simple and too good to be true... but it's not. :wink:

Mrs. Lilac - please give Beyond a good look. We are doing it for the second time right now, and it is such a find. I think you'd truly enjoy it with your little princess! Also, the twins would love Little Hands to Heaven at some point. Just some food for thought - welcome to the HOD Board! :D

In Christ,
Julie :D
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie