OT: Schedulers - wake a sleeping baby???

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Lynnw

OT: Schedulers - wake a sleeping baby???

Post by Lynnw » Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:06 am

Hi friends,
I'm trying to get my MOTH schedule going again. I have a 9month old (and a 3.5yo, 5.5yo, 7yo, 10.5 yo). She some days sleeps as late as 8:30 - but when I try to "schedule" everyone it would make more sense for her to be up earlier so that she had already nursed and had cereal by 8 or so. Also, some days she takes two naps, but sometimes she takes one big one and then just goes to bed a little earlier that night. I have such a hard time waking a sleeping baby (I love the quiet and the opportunity to get things done :oops: ) - I'm trying to think about if I should wake her earlier in the mornings and if I should shorten her morning nap so she will always take an afternoon nap.

So.... advice? experiences? Better to wake her or let her get the sleep she needs when her body thinks she needs it?

Thanks!
Lynn
Married 19 years to Dh, Detective and Army Reservist: 1 tour in Iraq, 1 tour in Afghanistan
ds 12.5 (7th grade) RevtoRev
ds 9.5 (4th grade) Preparing

dd 8 (3rd grade) Beyond
ds 6 (K/1st grade) Beyond
dd 3

8arrows

Re: OT: Schedulers - wake a sleeping baby???

Post by 8arrows » Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:14 am

This can be a heated topic (so to each his own), but I wake mine. With soon-to-be 8 children in the house, schedules are pretty important. And, in our family, when children miss naps---well, it isn't always the day I dreamed it would be (smile!).
Melissa, wife to Jim for 28 years
3 graduated, 2 using US 2, 8th grade dd using Missions to Marvels
Isaiah 40:11 ...He gently leads those that have young.

pollo_la

Post by pollo_la » Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:07 am

Honestly, I think it is about what works best for your family. Does the day go more smoothly when you wake the baby up, or does it go better if you let her sleep? We are not strict schedulars at my house, but we definitely have a routine and flow to our day. For the most part I follow my baby's cues for when she is tired or hungry (she is just a couple weeks shy of turning 1). However, I do like her to nap with my toddler in the afternoon, so in the morning if she does seem to need a nap, I just let her nap for about 25 minutes. That is just long enough to "take the edge off," but she will still sleep in the afternoon when I need her to. I say do whatever you need to do to keep yourself, your children, and household running smoothly.
Laurie:
Wife to Daniel since June 2002
Mom to: Odessa (5) using LHFHG and Emerging Readers from BLHFHG,
Sophie (3), Nadia (2), and Elliana (newborn)

Dustybug

Post by Dustybug » Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:12 am

I have always let a sleeping baby lie. But, I also think that you should do what works best for your family. I only have two kiddos right now, so I'm not sure, if I had a few more if I would still follow that or not. lol
Dusty
Mommy to
Gabriella (7) BLHFHG, ETC, Song School Latin
Aron (5) TMJ's Fruit for Tender Hearts, ETC, Singapore Essentials Math K
Lydia (3) Learning letters, numbers, shapes, and colors
http://www.tothemoonandbackblog.net

Lynnw

Post by Lynnw » Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:13 am

Dustybug wrote:I have always let a sleeping baby lie. But, I also think that you should do what works best for your family. I only have two kiddos right now, so I'm not sure, if I had a few more if I would still follow that or not. lol
Yes, this is where I have been - letting the baby sleep... but now that I have five, I think it's time to change, LOL.

Thanks all for the replies - I appreciate it! The first schedule I came up with had a wake time pretty different from what she's been doing on her own, so I re-did the schedule with a wake time closer to what she is doing on her own. My thought is that it will be less of a shock to her and to me!

Thanks!
Married 19 years to Dh, Detective and Army Reservist: 1 tour in Iraq, 1 tour in Afghanistan
ds 12.5 (7th grade) RevtoRev
ds 9.5 (4th grade) Preparing

dd 8 (3rd grade) Beyond
ds 6 (K/1st grade) Beyond
dd 3

sharonb

Post by sharonb » Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:53 am

I've always let a sleeping baby sleep too. But about a month ago my baby (5 1/2 months then) was staying up until midnight and then sleeping till 9 am or later. That just wasn't working! So, I made sure she was waking up at 8 am with the rest of the children, and would not let her take a late nap (she was falling asleep at 7 pm or so and only sleeping for an hour before waking up for a few more hours). I admit, I had to let her do a little bit of cry-it-out at bedtime for a few nights, but fortunately she only cried for a few minutes before falling asleep. She now goes to bed by 9 pm at the latest and sleeps until 8 am. Sometimes she wakes for a feeding during the night but most of the time she doesn't. Suddenly her naps are more predictable and I'm able to get a lot more done. So, if you feel like you need to wake up your baby and encourage a different schedule/routine, then I say go for it. BTW, we don't do a strict schedule on when the naps happen. Those vary by a bit, but I do try to keep her awake in the late afternoon/early evening so she'll go to bed on time.

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:07 pm

I used to let my babies sleep as long as they desired in the mornings, however with our last couple little guys I did go to waking them up in the morning to get on schedule with our school day a bit better. :D I was surprised that it actually worked quite well, and it really helped my sanity as my planned teaching times worked better if the baby was more on schedule.

Blessings,
Carrie