thinking about next year

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Kelly

thinking about next year

Post by Kelly » Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:07 pm

Hello everyone. It has been a long time since I have posted but I have been checking in regularly. This school year has been great. I still love HOD! I have been thinking about next year......
This year my son, (3rd grade) used Beyond and my daughter(1st grade) used Little Hearts. What I have found is that they are listening in on each others history and sometimes science and we do Bible together at breakfast(from both guides.) I had been assuming that I would do Beyond next year with my daughter, but I know that the listening in will continue so I am thinking about just doing the left side of Bigger with both and having her do the right side in Beyond. This would save me time.
So I am posting to ask if using two guides with her would be too confusing. Just wanted your thoughts on this... I know that the right side in Bigger would be too hard for her.
Thanks for your thoughts.
Kelly

Carrie
Site Admin

Re: thinking about next year

Post by Carrie » Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:36 pm

Kelly,

If your daughter is doing alright listening in with Beyond, she could most likely listen in to the left side of Bigger Hearts, and the storytime, and science from the right side of Bigger too. She will actually fit within the target age range of the Bigger Hearts guide. Then, you could add in the right side of Beyond for her 3 R's as you mentioned. This would be one way to keep your kiddos together. :D

We have many, many moms who work out of multiple HOD guides. It is much easier to do than working out of a separate guide for every subject areas (as often is the case with many other curriculums). I'm sure more moms will be along to share their opinions, but I know that I work out of 3 separate HOD programs each day, along with all of my oldest son's additional school work, and we don't find it difficult at all. In fact, my hubby is able to do it, and he is SO not a teacher (by his own admission). :lol:

And, if you found that Bigger was too difficult for your daughter, you'd already have Beyond and could just bump her down to doing all of it without losing anything. :wink:

Blessings,
Carrie

my3sons

Re: thinking about next year

Post by my3sons » Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:15 pm

Kelly - I think that sounds like a great idea! :D I also like that you already have a back-up plan in place if you decide your younger dd needs Beyond. :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie