Would _My Side of the Mtn._ make a good adventure ....

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Lynnw

Would _My Side of the Mtn._ make a good adventure ....

Post by Lynnw » Sun Mar 15, 2009 2:12 pm

Would _My Side of the Mountain_ make a good adventure read aloud (I've never read it)? And do you think it would be a good read aloud for ~7yo? We are starting Unit 5 of Beyond this week and I just realized I need an adventure book! I have Buffalo Bill and the Pony Express, but will need something else after we finish that.

Thanks!
Lynn
Married 19 years to Dh, Detective and Army Reservist: 1 tour in Iraq, 1 tour in Afghanistan
ds 12.5 (7th grade) RevtoRev
ds 9.5 (4th grade) Preparing

dd 8 (3rd grade) Beyond
ds 6 (K/1st grade) Beyond
dd 3

Daisy

Re: Would _My Side of the Mtn._ make a good adventure ....

Post by Daisy » Sun Mar 15, 2009 3:01 pm

YES! Well, actually I haven't seen DITHOR but I know My Side of the Mountain is a GREAT adventure book. We are reading it right now and my children love it. My son just turned 7 last month and my daughter is 9.5yo. They beg for it every day.
Wife of 18 years to Jon.
DragonFly (12yo)
Buttercup (14yo)

Lynnw

Post by Lynnw » Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:58 am

Thanks Daisy! I'm so glad to hear it's been such a great success. hmmm... maybe I'll skip Buffalo Bill and start My Side first :)

Thanks,
Lynn
Married 19 years to Dh, Detective and Army Reservist: 1 tour in Iraq, 1 tour in Afghanistan
ds 12.5 (7th grade) RevtoRev
ds 9.5 (4th grade) Preparing

dd 8 (3rd grade) Beyond
ds 6 (K/1st grade) Beyond
dd 3

marypoppins

Post by marypoppins » Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:17 pm

We actually just listened to My Side of the Mountain on audio book in the car a couple weeks ago, when we traveled out of state. It was WONDERFUL!! My dh even loved it! Our car trip flew by, and actually we arrived at our destination a chapter or two away from the ending, and we were all disappointed that we would have to wait until the next day to finish it. Great book!!

kiloyd

Post by kiloyd » Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:54 pm

Yes! I've read it myself 3 times since childhood and I read it to my 7 yr old son and he loved it!
Katherine
ds 9, Preparing
dd just turned 6, LHFHG
dd 3
and 15 mo old 3 days a week