Assessment?????

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
trustinghim

Assessment?????

Post by trustinghim » Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:23 pm

Hi everyone

I am trying to get organised for my registration with the board of studies (wich is our legal requirment for our state to be able to homeschool) Anyway we need to show an assessment form to show what our children are learning. I was wondering if anyone else had to do a similar thing for their registration for homeschooling. I am not sure what I had in mind, but maybe a weekly or daily checklist of the subject areas covered????? I am not sure if this make sense. So far I have just been ticking the boxes in the actual teachers manual as I have completed each box in pencil, but I think they might want something a bit more "formal". Anyway I was hoping someone may have an idea, or even a "template" of an assessment type document thay have used that has worked for them.

Thanks in advance!

Love Deb
Loving, living and learning at home.

Wife to my dearest friend, Mummy to 4 little lovelies
Homeschooling with:

DD 7: BLHFHG
DD 5: LHFHG
DS 3: LHTH
DS 9 weeks...delighting us all with smiles and giggles!!

Living in Australia!!!!

my3sons

Re: Assessment?????

Post by my3sons » Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:01 pm

Hi Deb! A lot of people just run off the Introduction (all the way up to when the daily plans begin), and that will say exactly which things are done and how often they are done. If they would happen to question you more, you can also copy the first week of plans and send that in as well. However, the introduction should be enough.

In Christ,
Julie :D
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

trustinghim

Post by trustinghim » Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:27 pm

Thanks Julie!

I have looked at that too, and thought "what a great write up of the whole program"!!! I think for this, however, the "authorities" want to see a "checklist" or something like that,of the completed work. Not sure if that makes sense???

Thanks for your answer though, because I think that will be a great thing to show them when they come to do the registration/inspection :D :D :D

Homeschooling with:

Living in Australia!!!!

trustinghim

Post by trustinghim » Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:34 pm

Oh, I just remembered the word I think I am trying to explian. I think it is for "record keeping" keeping an account of what subjects have been completed when. Do you think I could just use a diary with what we have done each day? The only thought I had with that, was repeating stuff all the time, and basically re-writing each day in each unit again in a diary...it kind of seems like a waste of time. Maybe I just need to have a template of each subject, and a check list to tick off when it is done (just thinking out loud here!!) Oh I don't know, it's a bit confusing really...I am not very creative when it comes to paper work, and/or organisation :oops:

Well maybe this explains it a bit better (I am even confusing myself!!) If this makes any sense to anyone out there, feel free to comment!!

Thanks

Love ( a very confused!) Deb!!

Homeschooling with:

Living in Australia!!!!

MamaMary

Post by MamaMary » Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:50 pm

Deb,

Could you just date the pages in your manuel with all the lesson plans for every subject? Here in Florida I just photo copy the table of contents and then put the date next to it when we do each unit. I hope that you find the perfect answer. Hang in there, it's coming! :D :wink:
Mary, Mama to 4 amazing sons and wife to one incredible husband! Come check us out on the blog: http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

trustinghim

Post by trustinghim » Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:05 pm

Thanks Mama Mary, That's a great idea...so simple...and do find that doing this is enough????
I am really glad I asked the question, you guys have so many great ideas...Keep em' coming!!!

Love Deb

Homeschooling with:

Living in Australia!!!!

marypoppins

Post by marypoppins » Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:35 pm

Donna Young's site has a checklist form that might help you. Here is a link: http://donnayoung.org/forms/planners/checklist.htm

trustinghim

Post by trustinghim » Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:12 pm

Wow, that's a great site...thanks. I think that one of those check list sheets could be just the trick....Thanks :D

Between all this advise, I have some great ideas to show my planning,the timing of how I am going to do things and my reporting. I am feeling more confident already (it seems so scary to get organised for this registration :shock: )

Thanks again for all your help :D

Love Deb

Homeschooling with:

Living in Australia!!!!

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:23 pm

trustinghim wrote:Thanks Julie!

I have looked at that too, and thought "what a great write up of the whole program"!!! I think for this, however, the "authorities" want to see a "checklist" or something like that,of the completed work. Not sure if that makes sense???

Thanks for your answer though, because I think that will be a great thing to show them when they come to do the registration/inspection :D :D :D
Oh, I see what you mean. I like the ideas you've been given here. All of the HOD guides rotate subjects and activities each week, so you could make a table for that as a checkoff pretty easily. Which guide are you doing next year? Will you be finishing LHFHG or dong BLHFHG? I could put together a sample one for you pretty quickly if that may help. :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Sister to Carrie

trustinghim

Post by trustinghim » Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:46 pm

Hi Julie

As I am in Australia, our school year is different (Jan-Dec) So I will be using LHFHG for most of the year (I actually started it at the end of last year, but will still be using it for my registration) I would love it if you could have a look at it for me, but only if you have the time, I don't want to be an inconvience :oops:

Thanks in advance for any ideas you might have :D

Thanks

Love Deb

Homeschooling with:

Living in Australia!!!!

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:49 pm

trustinghim wrote:Hi Julie

As I am in Australia, our school year is different (Jan-Dec) So I will be using LHFHG for most of the year (I actually started it at the end of last year, but will still be using it for my registration) I would love it if you could have a look at it for me, but only if you have the time, I don't want to be an inconvience :oops:

Thanks in advance for any ideas you might have :D

Thanks

Love Deb
Would something like this work? You can click on it to make it bigger so you can see it better. If you want to give me your email, I can email it to you, and you can work with it to change things if you want.
HTH!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Sister to Carrie

trustinghim

Post by trustinghim » Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:41 pm

Wow Julie, this is great :D :D :D

Thankyou so much :-)

I would love it if you could e-mail it to me, I think the best e-mail would be:

debbenbradley@hotmail.com

Thanks again for this, it looks so easy to use, yet covers everything, you are wonderful!!!

Thanks everyone else for all your comments. This is all so helpful, and has given me ideas and answers for questions I had not even asked yet (but would have had to soon!!)

Thanks again

Love ( a not so confused, and very thankful) Deb!!

Homeschooling with:

Living in Australia!!!!

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:33 am

trustinghim wrote:Wow Julie, this is great :D :D :D

Thankyou so much :-)

I would love it if you could e-mail it to me, I think the best e-mail would be:

debbenbradley@hotmail.com

Thanks again for this, it looks so easy to use, yet covers everything, you are wonderful!!!

Thanks everyone else for all your comments. This is all so helpful, and has given me ideas and answers for questions I had not even asked yet (but would have had to soon!!)

Thanks again

Love ( a not so confused, and very thankful) Deb!!
Glad to help, Deb! :D After thinking it over more last night, I made a few changes - put the "date" at the top for each day, put the "checkoff when complete" at the bottom, and added in "large body movement" to the rhymes and Bible to show that light exercise is included as well. I'll email you both of them, so you can do either or change either however you want, but I'll post it here too in case anyone else could ever benefit from this:

In Christ,
Julie :D
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Sister to Carrie

trustinghim

Post by trustinghim » Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:30 am

Thankyou, thankyou, thankyou :D :D :D

I got the email and the layout is great! I really appreciate your time and effort :D :D :D

Love Deb

Homeschooling with:

Living in Australia!!!!