Questions on Ordering PHFHG

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
momto3ms

Questions on Ordering PHFHG

Post by momto3ms » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:25 am

I have talked to my husband and he stated that he wants us to use Preparing next school year for our 6th grader and 8th grader. I just need to come up with the figures financially so that he will know what a tentative budget will be. Am I supposed to order the Economy with the Science along with the Extensions? Then I order the DITHR for 6/7/8 with the student book and the sample book list? Explain to me because I have looked at the sample pdf introduction and layout, and I see the language arts, science and math, but I don't see anything as far as the reading schedule for the history extensions; is that in another manual? Or is it left up to me to decide how many days it is to be read? Does DITHR have a schedule too? Sorry so many questions, but I am just trying to have everything to present to my husband, so he will be aware of what our schedule is. I do understand adding my own grammar, and math and also extended Science at least on Friday for my 8th grader. Thanks again.

Sonya
www.momto3ms.blogspot.com
------------------------------------------------
Matthew 13yo - 7th grade
MacKenzie 10yo 5th grade
Mason 4yo Preschool
Soon to be official HOD in the new school year

MainelyJen

Re: Questions on Ordering PHFHG

Post by MainelyJen » Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:01 am

Sonya,

Glad to hear that you'll be giving PHFHG a try! We're really enjoying it!

The extension package readings (Uncovering the Mysterious Woolly Mammoth, and so on) are scheduled for you in the Appendix of the book. As in, day 1. . .read pages 10 - 13. Very clear. For myself, I didn't want to be flipping around in the guide too much, so I simply wrote the assigned extension reading right in the daily plans. If I can't see it, if it isn't written down right in front of me. . .well, it doesn't happen. I was pleased that Carrie had these all planned out for us!

In the lesson plans for Preparing, DITHOR will be scheduled with the reminder "do one lesson today from DITHOR." I'm about to order DITHOR today so that we can add that to our PHFHG lessons, so I haven't had my hands on a copy yet. I'm sure experienced DITHOR moms will chime in!
~ Jennifer
http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/JennyMaine

Catherine, 14, Where Brook and River Meet
Samuel, 12, Preparing Hearts

dale1088

Post by dale1088 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:52 am

DITHOR is scheduled in the sense that the reminder is there for you every day. Then when you decide what genre you want to do now (I let my dd pick so long as it's different than storytime) there is a reading calendar that you fill in based on the book(s) you have chosen for that genre. Each genre I believe is supposed to take 15-20 days. So if it's an easier book, you might do it more quickly, and do 2 books that genre, or even 3. But it's not difficult to figure out how many pages to read in a sitting. Then the workbook for that genre has assignments for introducing the genre and workbook pages are assigned on day 3, day 5, day 9, etc. So they do the workbook page on the day of the reading about whichever book they are in according to the reading calendar. It sounds complicated but it's not once you get the hang of it! And it's very independent. I give my dd her pages for the genre with the book and the calendar is filled out for her. She then has to do it all herself - track her pages read, and complete the assignments (I put a star on the calendar to remind her that there is a workbook page for that day). Right now my dd (3rd grade - in Bigger) is reading aloud to me because she is having some problems with a stammer/stutter and I am trying to work with her on that, but there are days when I need her to read to herself so i can get something else done, so it's great that way. I believe in Preparing it's pretty much all independent reading to themselves.
~Amy
2009-2010:
Lucy, 9, PHFHG and DITHOR
Elliot, 5, LHTH

momto3ms

Post by momto3ms » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:40 am

Thanks now I understand what I need to order. I only wish I could see a list of the 6/7/8 genre for DITHOR.
www.momto3ms.blogspot.com
------------------------------------------------
Matthew 13yo - 7th grade
MacKenzie 10yo 5th grade
Mason 4yo Preschool
Soon to be official HOD in the new school year

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:22 pm

I'm so glad you'll get a chance to use Preparing Hearts. We are really enjoying it with our son this year! :D The Sample Book Ideas List that comes with the DITHR package has suggestions for Level 6/7/8 books for each genre. So, you can easily use those suggestions. If you prefer to have a book set, you could think about using one of the Read-Aloud packages for the ancients guide as Level 6/7/8 books for DITHR instead (even though they were intended to be read aloud they would work for DITHR 6/7/8). Here's a link to those packages: :D http://www.heartofdakota.com/hearts-for ... ame-prince
http://www.heartofdakota.com/hearts-for-him-boys.php

If those sets look too difficult, you could consider the Level 4/5 packages instead:
http://www.heartofdakota.com/drawn-into-optional4-5.php

Blessings,
Carrie