Separating?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Patience

Separating?

Post by Patience » Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:39 pm

I have been thinking about the separating thing for some time and since we are discussing it I will ask for feedback on my situation. I can see some benefits to doing this and am praying about what would best serve my kiddos for next year. My daughter would be a perfect fit for Preparing next year, but my son would fit better in BEYOND which we are already doing now. If I was going to go the separating route I'm not sure I'd be real eager to do Bigger and Preparing separate because I feel these combining these two programs would take more time than I'd have. Are there any other options I am not thinking of if I decide to go the separating route? (Most likely I will add Little Hands to Heaven next year too)
Wife of 10 wonderful years
Mom to three
9 yo girl and 7 yo boy doing BIGGER
3yo girl listening in to all our reading

Patience

Re: Separating?

Post by Patience » Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:37 pm

So I'm kind of kicking myself that I didn't consider doing Little Hearts with my son and Bigger with my daughter this year. God is sovereign over these minute choices...and in the big scheme of things it's all very unimportant, but if I do decide to separate, I'll still be kicking myself a little.
Mom to three

mansmom

Post by mansmom » Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:44 pm

Patience

I absolutely zero advice for you as it is strange that this is such a topic right now on the board and in our home!! God works in wonderful ways...and sometimes I need the extra push to figure it out!!

I was just agreeing of "kicking myself" for not putting my dd6 in LHFHG this year...my oldest daughter is a perfect fit for Bigger next year...but I'm really struggling with what to do with the second daughter...she will be 7 in the fall...okay...I'm not hijacking your thread I promise...just know there are many of us with the same situation...a friend told me earlier today that it will work out bc God gave us amazing hsing friends to help us through!!!

So...I'll just sit back and watch and read some more....
Joy

Mary '00 Preparing w/ LLATL orange & Horizons math
Alison '02 some LHFHG and a collection of other things
Nathan '04 LHFHG, RME, and Horizons math
Samuel '07 Constantly talking....

Patience

Post by Patience » Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:03 pm

Hey thanks! :D ...One idea I'm considering if I do decide to go the separating route, is to come up with another year's worth of material at the Beyond level? But then I wonder if this is me trying to force it to work.
Mom to three

mansmom

Post by mansmom » Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:21 pm

I was thinking that too...this coming year would be a perfect fit for my second in Beyond...again...but how do you do that? I'm just at a loss...maybe it's the lack of sleep?? Oh the nights I can lay awake pondering such things... :lol:
Joy

mansmom

Post by mansmom » Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:24 pm

...or I was wondering if I could beef up LHFHG for her bc there are many parts of that she would really like....
Joy

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:47 am

Ladies,

I feel your hearts here with the separating threads on the boards right now, but in looking at both of your little sweeties' age levels, it is looking like you both are combining kiddos that are only 2 years apart. When kiddos are that close in age, it makes sense to combine them if at all possible. :D

Once you get your kiddos in Bigger Hearts, you will also have the Extension Package, which will add an additional element to your older kiddo's learning. So, before you spend nights laying awake thinking you should separate your sweeties, take some time to enjoy your journey and know that you're doing a good job right now. It's easy to allow your joy to be stolen by looking at other's situations and applying it to yourself. Let the guides do their job of preparing your kiddos well for the next level, and try not to overanalyze too much. Kiddos grow and change so much in 6 months. You'll be amazed at what they'll gain between now and the next guide. You're truly going in the right direction!! :D

Blessings,
Carrie

Patience

Post by Patience » Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:13 am

Yes, I must confess I think I am guilty of overthinking right now. Doing Bigger with the extensions is the other excellent option. And there are ways to consider making each kid more responsible with his own work even while combining. Either way, I agree it's a good idea to shelve even thinking about all of this until it's time. I still have plenty left to do in Beyond! :D Sorry if we silly mom's are driving you crazy, Carrie!
Mom to three

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:57 pm

No worries! :lol: I do the same thing with over-analyzing everything about my latest writing project, driving both my husband and my dear sisters to the brink sometimes! :wink:

Blessings,
Carrie