Question about supplementary things for LHTH

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Dustybug

Question about supplementary things for LHTH

Post by Dustybug » Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:06 pm

I'm starting officially on Wed. with my 3y.o. daughter with LHTH. I have all the books recommended to go with it, but I was just wondering if anyone who has done this curriculum had suggestions for other supplementary or additional items to go along with it if I wanted to expand a lesson? I picked up a few storybooks today that went along with some themes like Creation and Moses. What else could I use?
Dusty
Mommy to
Gabriella (7) BLHFHG, ETC, Song School Latin
Aron (5) TMJ's Fruit for Tender Hearts, ETC, Singapore Essentials Math K
Lydia (3) Learning letters, numbers, shapes, and colors
http://www.tothemoonandbackblog.net

netpea

Re: Question about supplementary things for LHTH

Post by netpea » Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:38 pm

There are little golden books that have bible stories, they would be a nice addition. Also, any bible stories you already own could be reread when you hit the appropriate story.

mansmom

Post by mansmom » Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:00 pm

Our church library has kid's movies with different bible stories as their themes...my 3 year old LOVED these after we had done that story for the week...it was just a sort of special way to end that week's story and he was SO proud that he already knew that story!

Have fun!
Joy

Mary '00 Preparing w/ LLATL orange & Horizons math
Alison '02 some LHFHG and a collection of other things
Nathan '04 LHFHG, RME, and Horizons math
Samuel '07 Constantly talking....

netpea

Post by netpea » Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:44 pm

mansmom wrote:Our church library has kid's movies with different bible stories as their themes...my 3 year old LOVED these after we had done that story for the week...it was just a sort of special way to end that week's story and he was SO proud that he already knew that story!

Have fun!
Good idea, my daughter likes to watch the Beginner Bible Videos and Veggietale videos after doing a related lesson.
:D

my2guys

Post by my2guys » Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:37 pm

We also like to watch Veggie Tales that go along with our Bible Lessons. (This week we'll be watching Daniel.)
I also happened upon a little book called "Even The Soundwaves Obey Him". If you have kiddos that loves science like my little guys, this book has very simple science experiments that go along with different Bible stories. It lines up very nicely with both LHTH and LHFHG. We'll be doing both of these programs in the fall and I bought the book to use maybe once a week when the experiment lines up with where we're at in HOD.
Sharon
2017-2018
Ben (14yo) 8th with MTMM
and
Sam (12yo) 6th with RTR
Have already used and enjoyed: LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR & Rev to Rev

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:46 pm

How did it go today? :D :D :D I love to think of LHTH starting off in someone's home - just had to ask! I hope it went well, but if it didn't - no worries. Those little wiggly ones take a bit of time to grow into things. :)
In Christ,
Julie :D
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Dustybug

Post by Dustybug » Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:29 pm

Thanks for all of the suggestions everyone! I went and checked out The Beginners Bible Creation story movie from the library, picked up a few bible storybooks, and I'm looking into some coordination Veggietales episodes as well. I will check out that book as well my2guys!

Today went fantastic! Thanks for asking! My daughter LOVED everything and when we were finished with today's lesson, she was begging for me to "teach her some more!" I'm so relieved and look forward to continuing!
Dusty
Mommy to
Gabriella (7) BLHFHG, ETC, Song School Latin
Aron (5) TMJ's Fruit for Tender Hearts, ETC, Singapore Essentials Math K
Lydia (3) Learning letters, numbers, shapes, and colors
http://www.tothemoonandbackblog.net

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:25 pm

Dustybug wrote:Thanks for all of the suggestions everyone! I went and checked out The Beginners Bible Creation story movie from the library, picked up a few bible storybooks, and I'm looking into some coordination Veggietales episodes as well. I will check out that book as well my2guys!

Today went fantastic! Thanks for asking! My daughter LOVED everything and when we were finished with today's lesson, she was begging for me to "teach her some more!" I'm so relieved and look forward to continuing!
Oh that's great, Dusty! Thanks for sharing - I love to hear about little ones doing LHTH, and moms enjoying it. :D I'm already getting sad thinking I'll only get to do it one more time with our last ds. There are always grandchildren though, right?!? Seriously though - I'm so glad you had a happy start!
In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

moedertje

Post by moedertje » Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:46 pm

I added things to each letter that started with the letter and hung them up for reference. For instance corn on C. So they just have to look at what's on the letter and they have the visual. To help them know the sound of the letter. There is something to it, to do it yourself and see it displayed! There is a website that has all the letters ready to be printed off as well. Than it all looks uniform if you care about that.
I also did a scripture memory verse starting with that letter. It's incredible to see what they can memorize in a week :D
Success and you will love HOD curriculum as the years move on! I am so blessed by it myself, I sometimes want to do the activities.
Raising Arrows; Psalms 127:4
ds17, Class of 2020, now at IHOPU
ds 15, WH
dd 13, MTMM
In year 1 of homeschooling it all started with LHTH for us.

moedertje

Post by moedertje » Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:49 pm

I should have added the website where you can print out the whole alphabet
http://www.dltk-teach.com/alphabuddies/index.html
I hope that it's o.k. to put other websites on the board.
Raising Arrows; Psalms 127:4
ds17, Class of 2020, now at IHOPU
ds 15, WH
dd 13, MTMM
In year 1 of homeschooling it all started with LHTH for us.