Newbie intro and ?'s

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
LoriT

Newbie intro and ?'s

Post by LoriT » Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:01 pm

I am new here and wanted to say hello. My name is Lori I have 5 DC and have been homeschooling 11 years. DS is 20 and already graduated, DD1 is 18 and will graduate in June. Then I have 3 little girlies ages 8, 4 and 8 months. My 8 year old is in second grade. I have heard a LOT of good things about HOD from an online friend on another board. I am thinking of ordering Beyond and starting it now with DD. I love the real books and Christ centered approach of HOD and the fact that it looks more doable and affordable than sonlight. DD is what I would consider an emerging reader.

So what insight or advice do you have for me? we are slow starters in the first few grades right now we do daily bible, math (R&S), writing of some sort either handwriting or copy work or creative writing, phonics (ETC) and reading (she reads to me and I read to her). up until now no formal history or science I usually do that in 3rd grade but she seems ready for more.
Blessings,
Lori T
helpmeet to J 22 years
momma to the fab five
DS 20, DD 18 and
3 reversal babies DD 8, DD 4, and DD 8 months

Jessi

Re: Newbie intro and ?'s

Post by Jessi » Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:46 pm

Hello Lori!

Welcome to the boards. I think placing your daughter in Beyond is a great idea! From what I have read over and over again is that Beyond is a lot of fun. Are you planning on doing any preschool with the four year old?

Glad you are here!!!
Jessi
~~~~~~~~~
Wife to Brad for 10 years
Emma- 7 Beyond, DITHOR,
Logan- 4.5 LHTH, R & S workbooks
www.ourmodernmemories.blogspot.com - personal blog
www.modernmemoryfilms.com - our wedding videography site

netpea

Post by netpea » Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:49 pm

Welcome to the boards! I look forward to getting to know you. Have you checked out the placement chart to see where your DD would fit best. If she's already 8yo, she may be ready for Bigger. We are doing Bigger with my 8yo but we are not quite at full speed. If you haven't already, check the chart, it's usually a pretty good indicator of what program you need.
:D

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:17 pm

Lori,

I just wanted to pop-in and welcome you to the boards too! :D We're glad to have you here.

Here's a link to the placement chart netpea mentioned: http://www.heartofdakota.com/placing-your-child.php

We'll looking forward to getting to know you better! This is a wonderful group of ladies who really encouarge and uplift one another. We're glad for you to be a part of it! :wink:

Blessings,
Carrie

LoriT

Post by LoriT » Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:20 pm

Thanks for your input ladies.

According to the placement chart, to start my 8 year old now, Beyond is where she should be. She is still what I consider an emerging reader. I could wait 'til fall and start her in Bigger I suppose but I would like to start now.

The four year old JUST turned four last month so I won't be starting anything with her now, perhaps in the fall.

anyone want to talk to me about singapore vs. R&S for math?

oops, just saw that Carrie posted ...thanks for the warm welcome
Blessings,
Lori T
helpmeet to J 22 years
momma to the fab five
DS 20, DD 18 and
3 reversal babies DD 8, DD 4, and DD 8 months

StillJulie

Post by StillJulie » Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:46 pm

I agree with starting Beyond now. I recently started my kids in various programs, even though they could have started the next one if I'd waited til fall. I was just too eager to get started. :D

I debated alot back and forth between Rod & Staff and Singapore for math. In the end, I decided to go ahead with Singapore. I like being able to totally follow the HOD plans. I like it that Carrie has activities written into the guides )through Bigger) (they've become my non-mathy kids' favorite part of school). I very much like that they are able to write right in the workbooks (not an option after second grade with Rod & Staff). If for some reason, Singapore was a bust for us, Rod & Staff would be my next choice, but I'm not anticipating that.

Welcome!
16yo DD using US History 1 for 11th grade
14yo DS using World Geography for 9th grade
13yo DS using Rev to Rev for 7th grade
10yo DD using Creation to Christ for 5th grade
8yo DD using Bigger for 3rd grade
7yo DD using Beyond Hearts for 2nd grade

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:51 pm

I agree from what you've shared that it looks like Beyond will be a good fit for you starting now. It's a great idea to get going with Beyond to help you prepare your sweetie for the upped level of skills in Bigger. :D

If you're wanting to give Singapore a try, it's easier to switch to it in the earlier years, rather than later. However, if you're currently enjoying success with your own math program, you could just keep on going with it instead. :wink:

Blessings,
Carrie

Samuel'sMommy

Post by Samuel'sMommy » Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:39 pm

Hi and welcome to the boards! All of the ladies here are great and will be happy to answer your questions!
Stephanie
Wife to Adam for 25 years
Mom to Samuel (18 - freshman in college), Isaiah (8), and Judah (4) through the miracle of adoption
Using and loving LHTH & BLHFHG

Loved using LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, BHFHG, PHFHG, CTC, & RTR!