Grammar Question

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Great2kids

Grammar Question

Post by Great2kids » Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:43 pm

I am currently using Growing with Grammar 3 with my DS who is eight and in the third grade. We were already using this when I decided to switch to HOD. We are on unit 14 of Bigger and I really like it :D . I am getting my books together for next year (Preparing) and was wondering if anyone else was familiar with GWG? Is it similar in style to R&S or how does it compare? My son does a great job with GWG and it doesn't have a lot of writing which is good because he has a dysgraphia issue we are dealing with. I would love to hear any input you have on this. I'm just not sure if I should switch something that is working well, but I'm not familiar with R&S either :? .
2015-2016
We are looking forward to our eighth year with HOD!

DS14 WH (Completed BHFHG, PHFHG, CTC, RTR, Rev to Rev, MTMM & WG)
DD10 RTR (Completed LHFHG, BLHFHG, BHFHG, PHFHG & CTC)

mansmom

Re: Grammar Question

Post by mansmom » Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:51 pm

I don't know much about GWG and I'm usually of the mindset...if it isn't broken don't fix it!! But, here, I would encourage you to really explore R & S...we switched from FLL 3 and my daughter really likes it and is REALLY getting it...it's a great approach that really makes them "get" it...not just memorize some random definitions...I feel like they really focus on "using" the information so the child can understand what seems to me to be an abstract thought for an elementary child. Anyway...just my two cents...but I have NEVER gone wrong with an HOD suggestion...and as far as writing...you will hear on the board how MANY of us use the R & S and do lots orally...so don't let that intimidate you at all...
Joy

Mary '00 Preparing w/ LLATL orange & Horizons math
Alison '02 some LHFHG and a collection of other things
Nathan '04 LHFHG, RME, and Horizons math
Samuel '07 Constantly talking....

inHistiming

Post by inHistiming » Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:29 pm

If you are happy with what you are currently using, you may want to stick with that. It is easy to incorporate your own L.A. into any of the HOD manuals. However, if you think you might need a change for whatever reason, I would recommend exploring Rod & Staff. We switched to it for this school year and I have been so pleased with the children's progress. There is some writing (level 2)it's but mostly copying sentences or coming up with a few of their own using specific words or about pictures in the book...nothing extensive. I'm not sure what level you would need...R&S is supposed to be more advanced than most, so you would need to check out the Table of Contents of each level to find out where you think your child would place. A lot of the home schoolers who use it do much of the work orally or on a white board with their child...leaving just a bit of written work to complete for each lesson. I'm sure you could adjust it to fit your son's writing ability. Just my 2 cents...hope that helped some. :wink:

eazbnsmom

Post by eazbnsmom » Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:37 pm

If I remember correctly from what I read on the well trained mind boards a couple of years ago, Growing with Grammar was created as a secular alternative to R&S. I am sure there are other differences as well, but if you are using it sucessfully I would stick with it! :0)
Kay in PA

Mom to dd12, dd11, ds9, ds7 & ds3 1/2

BHFHG with dss 7&9 and dd11

Alison in KY

Post by Alison in KY » Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:25 pm

I briefly looked at R and S a couple years ago so I'm by no means an expert. However, I am currently using GWG. From what I remember, R and S is a hardbound textbook where you would write out the answers on paper, or as I've seen here alot of people do it orally. I believe it is written more for a classroom (unless I'm getting confused with another program) so the wording sidetracked me. GWG seems alot easier to use, but I have no idea if it is as "good" as R and S. We are doing the Grade1/2 book with my 9 yr old...it's his first taste of grammar except for some grammar from Learning LanguageArts Through Literature. I'm going to give GWG grade 3 a try and see how it goes when we finish up this book. Good luck with your choice, sometimes there is just to much good out there in homeschool land.

Alison in KY