Singapore Math ??? and Guides

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
1shortmomof4

Singapore Math ??? and Guides

Post by 1shortmomof4 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:19 am

I love how the guides provide hands-on lessons for the Singapore Math-this is invaluable to me because I don't have to take the time to think up something ahead of time. I'm currently using BJU Math K for my K child and we'll be working through Little Hearts this fall for 1st grade and I am going to make the switch to Singapore (while I love BJU for math, this child just doesn't seem to flow with it very easy - I have this "something out of sorts" feeling everytime we sit down for a lesson which I didn't have with my 9 year old). Now, after all that rambling, he will be ready for the Primary Math 1A/B in the fall but the hands-on lessons in the LHFHG give lessons for Earlybird. I know there is a schedule in the appendix but does it give the hands-on ideas or would those be found only in Beyond? Also, if the Bigger level, are there hands-on ideas for 3A/B (thinking of trying Singapore with my then 4th grader then) or would that be in the appendix? I'm guessing that the higher levels provide less hands-on?

Does my message even make sense?

Heidi
Heidi - LEO wife for over 21 years
Mom to 4 - ds 21 (college), ds (RTR), ds (visual-spatial learner who needs to see the big picture first) and future educator dd 18 (college)

Mom2Monkeys

Re: Singapore Math ??? and Guides

Post by Mom2Monkeys » Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:12 am

The hands on lessons really are incredible aren't they! They are really cementing the lessons for my 2nd grader!

If you want the hands on lessons for 1A/B, you'll need to get the Beyond guide. There is a schedule for it in LHFHG, but the activities are in Beyond. Activities for 2A/B are in the Bigger Hearts guide. Once you get to 3A/B, you'll have a schedule for it but will rely more on the pictorial lessons provided in the Singapore textbooks as the kids mature a bit and are weaned from needing something in their hands. I have the 3A/B texts and the pictures are great and make sense. The kids will learn to picture the objects in their minds in order to solve the problem instead of actually having it in their hands. It's a great and logical sequence as they progress to less concrete math into the more abstract math.
~~Tamara~~
Enjoying HOD since 2008

DD15 long-time HODie finding her own new path
DS12 PHFHG {dysgraphia, APD, SID}
DS9 PHFHG
DS6 LHFHG
DD new nursling

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:13 am

1shortmomof4 wrote:I love how the guides provide hands-on lessons for the Singapore Math-this is invaluable to me because I don't have to take the time to think up something ahead of time. I'm currently using BJU Math K for my K child and we'll be working through Little Hearts this fall for 1st grade and I am going to make the switch to Singapore (while I love BJU for math, this child just doesn't seem to flow with it very easy - I have this "something out of sorts" feeling everytime we sit down for a lesson which I didn't have with my 9 year old). Now, after all that rambling, he will be ready for the Primary Math 1A/B in the fall but the hands-on lessons in the LHFHG give lessons for Earlybird. I know there is a schedule in the appendix but does it give the hands-on ideas or would those be found only in Beyond? Also, if the Bigger level, are there hands-on ideas for 3A/B (thinking of trying Singapore with my then 4th grader then) or would that be in the appendix? I'm guessing that the higher levels provide less hands-on?

Does my message even make sense?

Heidi

Hi Heidi! We are kindred spirits - I also am so thankful for the hands-on math accompanying the Singapore workbooks. :D The hands-on math for Earlybird is part of the LHFHG Math Exploration box, and there is only a schedule for 1A/1B in the Appendix of LHFHG. The hands-on math for 1A/1B is part of the daily plans in the BLHFHG Math Exploration box, and there is only a schedule for 2A/2B in the Appendix of BLHFHG. The hands-on math for 2A/2B is part of the daily plans in the BHFHG Math Exploration box, and there is only a schedule for 3A/3B in the Appendix of BHFHG. By the time they reach 3A/3B, the hands-on math is replaced with the Singapore Textbook, which is then considered the instructional part of the lesson, with the workbook being independent. If you do not use the HOD guide to do the hands-on math in the earlier years, it is suggested that you do use the Singapore Textbook. We've enjoyed the hands-on math so much in our home though - it makes math seem like a breeze, and also helps add a more visual and bodily-kinesthetic component to math. HTH!

In Christ,
Julie :D
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:15 am

Tamara - we were co-typing here! :D :D :D Two peas in a pod...
In Christ,
Julie :D
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Mommamo

Post by Mommamo » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:09 am

We are finishing up LHFHG and DD is in Singapore 1A so we got the Beyond guide so that we'd have the hands on activities. It was DEFINITELY worth it!! We have LOVED the activities. Plus, we are going to start Beyond when we finish LHFHG so it's just a bonus to already have the guide!
Momma to my 4 sweeties:
DD 14 - MTMM and DITHOR (completed LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, took a couple years off, and now she's back!)
DS 11 and DD 9 - Preparing(completed 2 rounds of LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, and Bigger)
DD 6 - LHFHG

1shortmomof4

Post by 1shortmomof4 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:32 pm

Thank you for clarifying the lessons for Singapore. I've lent out my Beyond guide for the year but have sheepishly asked to have it returned by the end of summer so that I'll be good to go and since I'm buying Bigger for my other ds I'll have all the hands-on stuff for Singapore - yippeeeeeee!!!!! My youngest seems advanced in learning the math skills but his handwriting, well, I'd say his patience or there lack of, is holding him back from really taking off in math. Reading is the same but he's a young man not unlike the other 2 young men that reside in this house and it just takes time........which I've got plenty. ha ha!
Heidi

I soooo can't wait to get back into the HOD groove!!!! I wish I hadn't covered Ancients with a different program for my dd (she's 12) because the new program is totally awesome and much more like I would have loved for her to experience but what can you do but live and learn.
Heidi - LEO wife for over 21 years
Mom to 4 - ds 21 (college), ds (RTR), ds (visual-spatial learner who needs to see the big picture first) and future educator dd 18 (college)