What books do I need to start Singapore halfway through?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Mamabug

What books do I need to start Singapore halfway through?

Post by Mamabug » Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:12 pm

THis is my first year HS and we are trying HOD. We had been using Time 4learning Math for both my 8 y/o girl and 6 y/o boy. My DD wants to do a more textbook style math this semester. What books do I really need to purchase? If I understand it right, there is a textbook, workbook and home educator/instruction manual to choose from.

We are working on placing her correctly right now. THose tests online don't seem to match very well with what the workbooks seem to have them doing. We are going to start with 2A tomorrow and go from there.

Also, we are doing Beyond so I can combine the two kiddos. Are there lesson plans that go along with 2A or 2B?

3whizlets

Re: What books do I need to start Singapore halfway through?

Post by 3whizlets » Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:08 am

I have been using Singapore Math since the beginning w/my kiddos and honestly have never used the instructor's manual. We are on 3A this year. I have honestly never felt I needed it. I would say you only need the workbook and textbook. :D
Shelley

Mama to dd 9, dd 7, ds 5, and dd 10 months and a new someone coming in November!
Using PHFHG, LHFHG and LHTH

Mom2Monkeys

Post by Mom2Monkeys » Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:36 pm

You'll just need the workbook and textbook for both the A and B books. A is one semester, B is another and it's common to have a year where you might start with, let's say, 1B then move on to 2A.

There is a schedule in Beyond appendix for 2A and B to tell you what lessons to do. The hands on activities in Beyond are for 1A/B. If you want the activities for 2A/B, you can get those in the Bigger Hearts guide. We are doing Beyond right now while using 2A and B and although it would be nice to have the hands on activities written out in front of me, it still works out nicely just to have the daily assignments and my dd7 is enjoying Singapore.
~~Tamara~~
Enjoying HOD since 2008

DD15 long-time HODie finding her own new path
DS12 PHFHG {dysgraphia, APD, SID}
DS9 PHFHG
DS6 LHFHG
DD new nursling

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:56 pm

Ditto to what's been said here! If you have the funds for the Bigger guide, the hands-on math activities in there were wonderful. But if not, the textbook/workbook combo will be just fine. We're in the 3A/3B set, and we're still loving Singapore math. Hope you enjoy it too!
In Christ,
Julie :)
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Mamabug

Post by Mamabug » Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:46 pm

Thanks for the info! The manual was the most expensive part so I love the idea of only using the textbook and workbook.