I'm Back with HOD

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
1shortmomof4

I'm Back with HOD

Post by 1shortmomof4 » Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:18 pm

Oh my, I have to say that there has been this missing link since I started the kids back to school in September. Something was just not quite right - just a bit off center. I started using Beyond with my then 2nd grade ds and we were having a wonderful time. And the best part was that my youngest, then just a pre-k fellow, was joining in for some fun in science and the arts and crafts. I enjoyed taking pictures of them doing the work, projects, etc and planning on scrapbooking this pictures. Well, being the generous sort, a friend from church was struggling financially and needed something that would work for her 2 kids and Beyond was going to be a perfect fit so I lent it to her for the year. Gone were my plans to finish the other half of Beyond and then start Bigger here in January but that just didn't seem to work out (I had to find something else to us that I could afford). Well, I finally came across a Little Hearts set for my K ds and so I'm coming back to HOD! I'm so happy and soooooo relieved! My heart has longed for those fun and happy days of HOD. I had originally planned on doing this for 1st grade (he's 6 in January) but I've come to realize that he is totally bored with what I've presented thus far and I need to catch his interest and work at his speed - boys can be either very immature or suddenly surprise you in a moment's notice, don't you know? I'll try it at half speed to start and then we'll see how things go and I'll adjust as needed. Just so glad to be back where at least one of my kid's belong - can't change them both just yet because of funds - need to pace myself.

Heidi
Heidi - LEO wife for over 21 years
Mom to 4 - ds 21 (college), ds (RTR), ds (visual-spatial learner who needs to see the big picture first) and future educator dd 18 (college)

Mommamo

Re: I'm Back with HOD

Post by Mommamo » Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:43 pm

Oh that's so exciting! Isn't HOD great?!
Momma to my 4 sweeties:
DD 14 - MTMM and DITHOR (completed LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, took a couple years off, and now she's back!)
DS 11 and DD 9 - Preparing(completed 2 rounds of LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, and Bigger)
DD 6 - LHFHG

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:25 pm

Glad to see you again Heidi! (My most generous friend in college was named Heidi, too! :wink: ) I had actually wondered where you were, when we were back at it this fall.

:D Kathleen
Homeschooling mom to 6:
Grant - 19 Kansas State University
Allison - 15 World Geography
Garret - 13 Res2Ref
Asa - 8 Bigger
Quinn - 7 Bigger

Halle - 4 LHTH

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:14 am

So glad you are back. I know exactly what you mean. Peace is what HOD has brought to us. I am so happy for you that you have found it again. :D
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:30 pm

Heidi,

It's good to "see" you again. I love this quote of yours...
boys can be either very immature or suddenly surprise you in a moment's notice
It's so true!

Hopefully your friend in enjoying your generosity and her year with HOD. I'm so glad you'll get a chance to use LHFHG. We're finishing it this year with my third little guy and are really having a good year. My little guy is surprising me with what he can do! He's really come a long way. :D

Blessings,
Carrie

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:07 am

I'm glad you're back, Heidi! :D I have 3 boys myself and know what you mean. :wink: I think you'll love LHFHG as much as we did. It really fills that need children have to MOVE! :)

In Christ,
Julie :D
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Candice

Post by Candice » Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:22 am

Heidi,

Welcome back...there is no place like home. Heart Of Dakota Home that is! :D
I hope you have a wonderful time with LHFHG, it is a super program!

Happy New Year filled with blessings,
Candice

1shortmomof4

Post by 1shortmomof4 » Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:49 pm

Awww, thanks guys. I'm so excited but mostly relieved - you know how you feel when you are searching for something, not sure what it is, but then when you find it you feel so peaceful - yep, that's me at this point. Can't wait for some of the books to arrive and get started with my youngest. I can only just imagine all the little wise information he'll pass along to me over the course of the year......

Heidi

P.S. If you read this tonight, New Year's Eve, please say a little "keep safe" prayer for my dh as he is working 2 double shift - the temps are very cold and the wind is blowing like crazy and his job as a law enforcement officer doesn't lend itself to a warm and cozy office - not to mentions the dangers tonight brings.....
Mom to 4 - ds 21 (college), ds (RTR), ds (visual-spatial learner who needs to see the big picture first) and future educator dd 18 (college)

MamaMary

Post by MamaMary » Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:06 am

Oh Heidi,

I am so glad to see you. I can't wait to hear all about your HOD adventures again;-) (((Big Welcome Hugs))) I pray your husband had a good night and that he is safe and warm, snuggled at home :D
Mary, Mama to 4 amazing sons and wife to one incredible husband! Come check us out on the blog: http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:19 am

Praying your dh had a safe night and is home resting now! Glad you have a sense of peace about schooling now, and welcome home to HOD! :D
In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

anointedhsmom

Post by anointedhsmom » Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:07 am

Heidi,

I completely understand how you feel. I looked and looked at HOD and even bought a manual and then sold it :( It was totally a God thing and I ended up back at HOD and we are so...................content. Yes that's the word. Content. I so wish I would have started with HOD. I'm literally counting the days until my 2.5 year old is ready to start LHTH :D He will be completing HOD from start to finish. I plan to have the older boy do some of the teaching so he can be exposed to the early levels of HOD :lol: I am serious too. :wink:

I said prayers for your husband last night. How did it go for him?

Welcome back to HOD!
Blessings,
Paige in TN
Joshua 14 & Jacob 7
http://www.anointedhsmom.blogspot.com

1shortmomof4

Post by 1shortmomof4 » Thu Jan 01, 2009 2:34 pm

Yes, he did return safe and sound although very tired from a 16 hour plus shift! He has the next 2 days off and then it is back to work and starting on 1/11 he'll be working 12 hour shifts 6 days per week through the Inauguration so we'll just be watching him pass through until January is just about over. Ugh!

Heidi

Samuel'sMommy

Post by Samuel'sMommy » Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:05 pm

Welcome back, Heidi!
Stephanie
Wife to Adam for 25 years
Mom to Samuel (18 - freshman in college), Isaiah (8), and Judah (4) through the miracle of adoption
Using and loving LHTH & BLHFHG

Loved using LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, BHFHG, PHFHG, CTC, & RTR!