Descriptive Writing can be hard to teach...

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
my3sons

Descriptive Writing can be hard to teach...

Post by my3sons » Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:01 am

BUT NOT with the way it's done in PHFHG! :D

I cannot say enough how thrilled I am with the writing lessons in PHFHG! My ds is flourishing. This past week, we read Robert Louis Stevenson's "Where go the boats?". Here he drew a scene to match the description of several stanzas of the poem, and then he added a new element to his scene. He chose a fish of course, since he fishes with my dh. :D I am very pleased with his description of his pictures. I can see bits and pieces of Robert Louis Stevenson in it, but I also see a lot of my ds's personality in it too - which is completely what I want! Emulating an excellent poet's writing, but also making it his own - just what I've been wishing he would do for awhile. He also added in some personification, which is a lesson we have several weeks back. PHFHG is doing a wonderful job of teaching my ds to not only learn great writing skills, but to enjoy it as well! :)

Here's what it says:
The dark brown river flows beside the golden sand.
The foam castles stand until leaves flow through their gates.
The fish swim while trees on the banks watch!
And while all this is happening, the boat watches it all.

How have your dc grown in writing? I'd love to hear about it!

In Christ,
Julie :D
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Samuel'sMommy

Re: Descriptive Writing can be hard to teach...

Post by Samuel'sMommy » Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:55 pm

Your son did a great job on his drawing and on his poem!
Stephanie
Wife to Adam for 25 years
Mom to Samuel (18 - freshman in college), Isaiah (8), and Judah (4) through the miracle of adoption
Using and loving LHTH & BLHFHG

Loved using LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, BHFHG, PHFHG, CTC, & RTR!

mamaloves4

Post by mamaloves4 » Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:14 pm

Your son did a great job! I love to see all the great pictures!

Yes! I love what PHFHG is doing for my dd!! We just started a few weeks ago and she has always loved to write and work on short stories, BUT I have had no idea to help her 'spread her wings' so to speak and she is loving writing creatively from Robert Louis Stevenson's poems. I just have to share this poem based off of Stevenson's poem 'To Any Reader', which was from Unit 4. (this is copied exactly as she wrote it, commas and all).

The Happy Memory

A Mother one day looks,
out a window to see,
me playing outside among
the garden trees. The mother
takes down a book that
is very interesting, to take
a look. She sees a child
in the book, playing in
another garden, not wanting
to look. She gets an invitation
to look at the wonderful
book. She tries to get his
attention, but he does not
stop. He does not come,
nor does he stop, but
The Mother thinks, of
a happy memory.

Anyway, I am also loving this guide--I feel I am learning such wonderful stuff--it makes me wonder what I spent my school years doing? Thanks for letting me share---it is great to have a place to share our struggles and victories!!

Jessica
Jessica
married for 12 years to Chuck
dd10--Creation to Christ
dd7--Beyond
ds4--LHTH
dd2--filling our days with joy and LHTH fingerplays and stories

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:54 pm

Oh ladies, those budding poets bring tears to my eyes. Robert Louis Stevenson is one of my favorite poets, and I know he'd be thrilled to see his poems inspiring others to write too! :D

Here's one of my son's recent poems from Preparing Hearts titled "The Wind":

The wind flies all around,
Dancing through the trees.
It blows the grass to the ground
And shakes the shutters -
Just for fun.
He'll whistle in your ear,
Then, take your hat and run.

Blessings,
Carrie

Candice

Post by Candice » Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:03 pm

To all,

So very neat to hear your children's accomplishments, you must be so proud! I really enjoyed reading the poetry and seeing the artwork, really beautiful and quite amazing! Thanks so much for sharing. I love being able to "peek into the future" and look forward to all the really great learning opportunities with HOD.

Candice :D

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:51 pm

Oh, those poems are all wonderful! You all have me really excited about next year! :D :D It's going to be so fun to see Grant start some creative writing. At this point he has a wild imagination and loves to talk (ALL the time! :shock: ), but if he's writing something he approaches it from the "how can I say this in one word" standpoint. :lol:

:D Kathleen
Homeschooling mom to 6:
Grant - 19 Kansas State University
Allison - 15 World Geography
Garret - 13 Res2Ref
Asa - 8 Bigger
Quinn - 7 Bigger

Halle - 4 LHTH

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:47 am

Kathleen wrote:... but if he's writing something he approaches it from the "how can I say this in one word" standpoint. :lol:

:D Kathleen
You are describing Wyatt last year here! So do be encouraged - I think PHFHG will help Grant put all those wonderful verbal ideas into written form quite happily! 8)

Jessica - I really enjoyed reading your dd's poem. Thank you so much for sharing it, and she has a good grasp of creating a mood to her writing already, which is hard to teach. I think some dc naturally have that emotional link to their writing, and your dd obviously already does!

Carrie - Shaw did such a good job with his wind poem! His "wind" was kind of a fanciful wind, and it really showed off Shaw's creative imagination and joy for writing. What a blessing to be able to enjoy poetry in this way! I wish I had learned it in this manner as a child. I would not be so leery of writing it myself had I gone about it this way as a child.

Thank you ladies - Wyatt will be beaming when I tell him what you all said about his writing. :D

In Christ,
Julie :D
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie