HODie Retreat

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
anointedhsmom

HODie Retreat

Post by anointedhsmom » Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:24 pm

How does this place hit you? We LOVE the Sea Mist Resort. www.seamist.com I'm all for organizing this if everyone wants to get together. We can do one on the east coast and then one on the west coast :mrgreen: I got cheated out of my week at the beach this year so I'm game ANYTIME you guys want to schedule this.

What say you fellow HODie addicts? :D
Blessings,
Paige in TN
Joshua 14 & Jacob 7
http://www.anointedhsmom.blogspot.com

Mom2Monkeys

Re: HODie Retreat

Post by Mom2Monkeys » Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:11 pm

What? no meeting in the middle?!
~~Tamara~~
Enjoying HOD since 2008

DD15 long-time HODie finding her own new path
DS12 PHFHG {dysgraphia, APD, SID}
DS9 PHFHG
DS6 LHFHG
DD new nursling

mamas4bugs

Post by mamas4bugs » Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:46 am

I do love the beach. :D

Jessi

Post by Jessi » Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:58 am

What a neat idea!!! I checked out mapquest already and that would be a 14 + hour drive for us to get to Sea Mist :shock: !!!!!! Hmmm, 14 hours with young children.....scenarios are spiraling out of control in my head. I think I'd start the trip looking like this: :D , about 8 hours into the trip I'd look like this :| , 12 hours into the trip I'd look like this :evil: , and then upon arrival I'd look like this :mrgreen: 8) :lol:
Jessi
~~~~~~~~~
Wife to Brad for 10 years
Emma- 7 Beyond, DITHOR,
Logan- 4.5 LHTH, R & S workbooks
www.ourmodernmemories.blogspot.com - personal blog
www.modernmemoryfilms.com - our wedding videography site

mamas4bugs

Post by mamas4bugs » Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:33 am

I once took a 17 hour car trip with my (then) three children. They were 2, 5, and 8 at the time. I have to admit that I probably looked like this :evil: about 8 hours in. In June of this year, we traveled from Austin, Texas to Brighton, England. It took one car ride, 2 airplanes, 2 trains, and a taxi and encompassed 22 hours. My children were 1, 6, 9, and 14 at the time. I think I probably looked like this :shock: the entire time. :D

Amey

Post by Amey » Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:44 am

Oh, I LOVE Myrtle Beach! This is where we always took our family vacations every year when I was a kid. I also took my first steps on the grand strand as a 1 yr old! Lots of warm fuzzy memories there for me! Of course I live in Mexico, so this would be an international trek for me. :( I'd probably just have to hear about it after you gals got back..unless God miraculously intervened :D
Amey
Missionary Mama in Mexico to Benjamin 02, Averic 04 and Deacon 07 and our first GIRL, Phoebe, born August 16, 2009
using Bigger Hearts for my 2nd grade son, finished Beyond last year for 1st
Come visit our family website! http://www.familyafair.com

mom2fiveboysnc

Post by mom2fiveboysnc » Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:17 pm

Sea Mist is wonderful!!! You guys would love it there. I love the beach :D :D but I was thinking of a place like Ridgecrest (in Black Mountain close to The Cove that Billy Graham runs). We always go to the Festivals of Marriage there run by Lifeway and love it!!! I think Glorieta NM has a place like it too. There is nothing like being in the mountains in October when the leaves are changing :!: We could go rafting or to the Linsville Caverns or to the Cradle of Forestry, I could go on and on and on :lol: I am so blessed to live in NC :lol:
Has anyone else ever wanted to go visit each of the 50 states during their lifetime? We could do a different state each year :D That is just another of my crazy dream ideas for my kids :oops:
mom2fiveboysnc
C 23 engaged
J 21 cc
K 18 farm
E 14 CTC, EIW, Yr 2 Rainbow/Landry labs, co-op: math, spanish & ancient lit; Landry Academy airpower hx & science
B 10 PHFHG, EIW, SM/MM, co-op: NC hx, science, art, OT/Ancient Egypt history

Jessi

Post by Jessi » Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:47 pm

momto5boys- I completely agree about wanting to see all 50 states in my lifetime. So of course I love your idea! :D

anointedhsmom- perhaps we could have an online poll for people to determine interest in a retreat, and perhaps some polls about best times of the year, and best centralized locations for people (either coast or midland). It might help with overall planning by keeping the info together and simple to see the results. Just a thought.

mamas4bugs- You crack me up!! :lol: I think if I had been you I'd have purchased the largest dog crate I could find and ship myself to England to avoid the trouble of that many different modes of transportation with young ones! EEK
Jessi
~~~~~~~~~
Emma- 7 Beyond, DITHOR,

anointedhsmom

Post by anointedhsmom » Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:34 pm

Sorry this is the first time I've been on the computer today :shock: I am all for organizing one and it can be where ever we would decide. I just threw out the Sea Mist because I really like it and they have great lodging for large groups and their prices are very reasonable too. The last time I was there was when my now 9 year old was 2. But if we are seriously considering a cruise I can look into that too. I was just on Carnival's sight last night :D There was a link there for get togethers too.

Now I must say that if someone else wants to organize it they sure can. I just offered because I travel more than I stay home :lol:

So all that to say if we want to get serious with this then lets do it :D I'm all for what ever. Just to be able to get together with other HODies will be awesome. My husband just can't get this no matter how hard he tries :lol:

Literally about to burst with anticipation!
Paige

oh and mom2fiveboysnc! I would so love to visit every state! I tell my husband all the time I want the boys to see THE WHOLE WORLD. I also have been thinkinghow I might be able to slip in a state study around our HOD stuff. It would be great to SEE each state when we study it. Too Cool. 8)
Blessings,
Paige in TN
Joshua 14 & Jacob 7
http://www.anointedhsmom.blogspot.com

mamas4bugs

Post by mamas4bugs » Sat Oct 25, 2008 4:46 pm

Jessi wrote:mamas4bugs- You crack me up!! :lol: I think if I had been you I'd have purchased the largest dog crate I could find and ship myself to England to avoid the trouble of that many different modes of transportation with young ones! EEK

:D :D Jessi, you made me laugh so hard I had tears, and my husband had to come read the thread! :D :D

Jessi

Post by Jessi » Sat Oct 25, 2008 9:04 pm

mamas4bugs- Glad I could add some humor to your day! Your hubby probably thinks we're a bunch of cuckoos on here now...oh well. We probably are...but let's keep that between us.

hehehehehe
Jessi
~~~~~~~~~
Emma- 7 Beyond, DITHOR,

mom2fiveboysnc

Post by mom2fiveboysnc » Sat Oct 25, 2008 9:37 pm

Paige, I hope you don't think I was trying to take over your planning. I just got all excited when I saw this thread and honestly, with our FOM coming up in October, I was truly thinking how wonderful a HOD retreat would be :D I just started spilling all the ideas out that I have been carrying around for a few weeks now :D I'm great at ideas but horrible at actual planning. I think it would be wonderful for you to volunteer and get everything together :D And let me add that I would be willing to go to a HOD conference ANYWHERE even if it were on top of the moon or in a swamp :shock: And if I had to dog crate myself and my kids to make sure we get there, FEDEX, here we come :D You just call me and I'll help out in any way I can since I'm close to there anyway. Just give me the word and I can go do a pre-conference research session for a week :D
mom2fiveboysnc
C 23 engaged
J 21 cc
K 18 farm
E 14 CTC, EIW, Yr 2 Rainbow/Landry labs, co-op: math, spanish & ancient lit; Landry Academy airpower hx & science

Jessi

Post by Jessi » Sat Oct 25, 2008 9:44 pm

And the award for the most dedicated First ever HOD retreat attendee goes too.....momto5boysnc!!!!!! Wow..the moon or a swamp. Interesting locations and an unusual couple of choices to put in the same sentence. :lol: I love your enthusiasm!
Jessi
~~~~~~~~~
Emma- 7 Beyond, DITHOR,

mom2fiveboysnc

Post by mom2fiveboysnc » Sat Oct 25, 2008 9:52 pm

Thank you Jessi, you have made me blush :oops: I am so glad I'm not the only one up at midnight catching up on the HOD board :D I really do love this program and the love of God that I'm putting in the hearts of my children. Now if only there was a high school program for my 9th grader :wink: Don't worry, I'm still on the prayer chain for that too.
mom2fiveboysnc
C 23 engaged
J 21 cc
K 18 farm