SINGAPORE MATH 1A/1B

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
savedbyloveandmercy

SINGAPORE MATH 1A/1B

Post by savedbyloveandmercy » Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:14 am

Hi, there. I'm trying to finalize my order, and I saw that there is a textbook and workbook required for 1A & 1B Singapore Math, and I'm wondering - Is the textbook just basically teaching the concepts, and then the workbook is for working the problems out?

Thanks,

Briana

spidermansmum

Re: SINGAPORE MATH 1A/1B

Post by spidermansmum » Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:27 am

The text book is very picture based,it just provides additional material to help with the workbook.Sometimes we dont even use the textbook but I have discvered that my 5 yr old seems to grasp math really easily.
- Delighted to have used LHTH,LHFHG and Beyond, Bigger , Preparing and DITHOR
currently Using
LHTH slowly with my 2 year old
Starting Bigger with my 8 y/o About to add on DITHOR
Finishing Preparing with my 12year with ASD/LD

netpea

Post by netpea » Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:40 am

The math activities for 1A and 1B are in Beyond. If you are doing those, you do not need to order the textbooks. Which program are you getting?

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:50 pm

We are suing 1A and I do not even have the textbook. Carrie has it worked out well. But also at this level is really easy to use and understand what the main point is. It's very easy to use. :D
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)

savedbyloveandmercy

Post by savedbyloveandmercy » Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:03 pm

I'm using the LHFHG book (which I have already - I'm just ordering the supplemental books now), and it's recommended that I order 1A & 1B, both textbooks and workbooks, but it sounds like we'd probably be o.k. with just the workbooks, or am I missing something?

Thanks for the help! :D

Briana

netpea

Post by netpea » Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:28 pm

savedbyloveandmercy wrote:I'm using the LHFHG book (which I have already - I'm just ordering the supplemental books now), and it's recommended that I order 1A & 1B, both textbooks and workbooks, but it sounds like we'd probably be o.k. with just the workbooks, or am I missing something?

Thanks for the help! :D

Briana
Well, the math activities in LHFHG correspond with Singapore Earlybird 2A/2B. So if you want the math activities that go along with Singapore 1A/1B, you would need the Beyond manual and it corresponds to 1A/1B. Once you get to 3A/3B, there are no more hands-on activities and you go back to using textbook and workbook.

Does that help?

savedbyloveandmercy

Post by savedbyloveandmercy » Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:30 pm

Actually, in the LHFHG Appendix, there is an alternate math schedule for 1A/1B, so it can be used with this curriculum. So, I guess my main question is, are the textbooks needed, or can you get by with the workbooks?

Thanks,
Briana

inHistiming

Post by inHistiming » Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:30 pm

Up 'til level 3A/3B HOD does not schedule the textbook, just the workbook. So, you should just need the workbooks. Once your child is working in level 3A, you'll need both the textbook and the workbook. There are math activities in the manuals that coordinate with the Singapore books through level 2B, and they realy help cement the concepts.

Mommamo

Post by Mommamo » Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:57 pm

The way it's explained in the catalog and the LHFHG manual if you're using the alternate schedule for math that uses 1A/1B with LHFHG you either need to order Beyond.... or get the 1A/1B textbooks along with the workbooks. The activities that are scheduled in the LHFHG teacher manual go with Earlybird 2A/2B. Hope that helps!
Momma to my 4 sweeties:
DD 14 - MTMM and DITHOR (completed LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, took a couple years off, and now she's back!)
DS 11 and DD 9 - Preparing(completed 2 rounds of LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, and Bigger)
DD 6 - LHFHG

busybee4

Post by busybee4 » Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:22 pm

Briana,

This is what I've done with my dd who's 6 and in "first grade". She does all of the activities from Little Hands along with her younger sister but because I felt like she was ready for the challenge I purchased the Beyond Manual to use the spelling, grammar and MATH ACTIVITIES.

Yes, the 1A/1B pages are included in Little Hearts but I wanted Carrie's activities for my dd so I purchased Beyond. I'm glad that I did too!! :P I'm sure that the workbooks and textbooks would be fine but my dd really seems to enjoy the hands on activities that Carrie's come up with. It really seems to bring the concepts to life instead of working through a workbook/textbook alone.

If you'll read the math activities that are scheduled in Little Hearts for the Earlybird math books you'll see about how the Beyond manual will work for 1A/1B. The decision is completely up to you and what you can afford and what you think your child will be best with.

However if you don't purchase the Beyond manual then you will probably need both the workbooks and textbooks as the textbooks will help you and your child understand what's expected for each lesson a little better because, at least in my opinion, Singapore has a different approach than the "traditional" math that I'm use to.

We've just enjoyed having the activities and will be using the manual again next year for both girls (just moving my 6 year old up to the next manual for grammar, spelling and math) etc. Hope that helps!!!
Krissy, wife to a great man for 10 years and busy Mom to
dd '02 (BLHFHG)
dd '03 (BLHFHG)
ds '05
dd '08 watching it all happen...but not doing it very quietly!!
http://www.rubyslippersschool.com

savedbyloveandmercy

Post by savedbyloveandmercy » Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:06 am

Thanks to all of you moms who helped me get these math questions straightened out! I appreciate the help!

Briana