Audio Books Question

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
my3sons

Re: Audio Books Question

Post by my3sons » Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:20 pm

Rebecca wrote:Dear Julie,
We are out of town so that is why I haven't replied to this!
I wanted to say thank you and let you know how much I appreciated what you wrote...especially the third grade list and your chart. It opened perfectly!
...so helpful!

I am having a lot of fun planning our "collection" and can't wait to implement this year along with our other HOD!
I have the Sample Book List as well- and didn't think about using that for this!

Thank you so much!
Blessings,
Rebecca
Thanks, Rebecca! I'm glad to hear it opened up alright - all of my computer savvy comes from trial and error... and sometimes there's more error than success! :wink: Blessings sent your way too!

In Christ,
Julie :D
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

gracelikerain

Post by gracelikerain » Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:40 pm

Georgette~
Isaiah 54:13
Blessed with 5 awesome gifts from God!
Trail Blazing 4 HIM!
dd-12-CTC
dd-9-Preparing
ds-6-LHFHG
dd-3-tagging along & keeping life real fun!
ds-5 months

MainelyJen

Post by MainelyJen » Sat Aug 16, 2008 3:11 am

The librarian in me just had to chime in on this! :lol:

Don't forget to check your local library for audiobooks. Often there are more classic children's books on audiobooks than on the shelves as books! Also, if your library is good about interlibrary loan, you can save a small fortune by not having to purchase.

Having said that, we love to listen to books on cd. Some of our favorites have been from Focus on the Family - Chronicles of Narnia, the girls set (Little Women, Secret Garden, Anne of Green Gables). We loved the Railway Children. Jonathan Park is a huge hit with both my kids. We also listened to the Little House on the Prairie series read by Cherry Jones (inter-library loaned it!). If relatives ask what to get the kids for Christmas, I usually suggest at least one audiobook!

Mommamo

Post by Mommamo » Sat Aug 16, 2008 5:08 am

Checking your library is a fabulous idea. Our library has a service where we can download audio books from home. You only get to keep them for 2 weeks, but it has been a really great service for us. My children have enjoyed listening to the books. Since we're doing it this way we haven't had the book to read along with but they've had fun anyway, and mine are 4 (almost 5) and 2. We're also going to get them cheap MP3 players and let them listen to their books that way. My 2 yo has been using headphones for a while (maybe I shouldn't let him?). I always just check the volume for him and we're very careful about how he uses them, but he does fine.
Momma to my 4 sweeties:
DD 14 - MTMM and DITHOR (completed LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, took a couple years off, and now she's back!)
DS 11 and DD 9 - Preparing(completed 2 rounds of LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, and Bigger)
DD 6 - LHFHG

marypoppins

Post by marypoppins » Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:19 pm

Thought I'd share a neat website I just found. The site is http://www.librivox.org, and it has loads of free audio book downloads which are in the public domain. The books are read by volunteers, so the quality may vary between different books. The first book I sampled sounded just fine, but in another book I sampled, the lady had a bit of a southern accent as she narrated an English novel. :lol: But that is okay with me, when $ is tight, I can't complain. :wink: