One Small Square Seashore...how do you do the activities

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Natreez

One Small Square Seashore...how do you do the activities

Post by Natreez » Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:01 pm

if you don't live by the ocean?? Just curious.

Thanks.
Natreez
Wife to the man of my dreams and mom to 14yr old ds going into public high school and 8yr ds doing BIGGER in the fall :-D

6timeboymom

Re: One Small Square Seashore...how do you do the activities

Post by 6timeboymom » Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:43 am

we didn't. :-) We just talked about it, looked up info in other books, and asked daddy because he grew up in CA and AZ so he's actually been to the ocean. My boys and I are land locked Midwesterners. *giggle*
Darci
mom to 6 great boys-"they've got me surrounded!!"
using: as much HOD as possible! :wink:

Natreez

Post by Natreez » Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:25 am

I was kinda of assuming thats what you would do but thought perhaps there were some alternative ideas some people have done.

Well...we live only about an hour away from Lake Michigan, do you think a field trip to Lake Michigan would work?? Just a thought. Also we have a river in our backyard, not going to be the same as the ocean but perhaps we could still use it in "some" way???

Thanks for your thoughts.
Natreez
Joining the "Bigger Buddies" this fall!!! (See Kathleen, told ya I was going to have to use it. Hope ya don't mind. :wink: :lol: )
Wife to the man of my dreams and mom to 14yr old ds going into public high school and 8yr ds doing BIGGER in the fall :-D

Jen in Va

Post by Jen in Va » Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:27 am

Do you have an aquarium nearby? Dvds of marine life? Maybe even online resources? Tons of books on the subject in the library. Still lots of ways to learn without doing the activities if you don't live near the shore--after all, Carrie's in South Dakota--I don't think you can get any further from the ocean in the US *grin*.

We visited the Creation Museum last summer and just were overwhelmed by it. I have since been hooked on AIG's resources; here are a few I found that would go along with the seashore topic.

Answers in Genesis has a sea life book: http://www.answersingenesis.org/PublicS ... 7,184.aspx

Also an aquarium guide:
http://www.answersingenesis.org/PublicS ... 0,339.aspx

Ocean book for older kids:
http://www.answersingenesis.org/PublicS ... 4,186.aspx

Another sea creatures book:
http://www.answersingenesis.org/PublicS ... 6,224.aspx

Even though we live within a half day drive of the ocean, we don't go often--maybe once a year. It's a trip I anticipate from the day we leave until the day we return. The rhythmic sound of breaking waves is one of my favorite sounds on earth--first has to be a baby belly laugh.
Jen
Hsing mom of 3:
DS (20) college, home educated k-12
DD (17) 12th grade (2009-10), home educated
DS (6) Beyond (2009-10, have already started--loving it, btw!)

Natreez

Post by Natreez » Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:24 pm

Wow Jen!! What a great response. Thank you so much for all the wonderful ideas. :lol:

Natreez

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:09 pm

Natreez,

The Bigger Hearts.. guide includes twice weekly experiments that go along with the readings (no seashore needed)! :lol:

Any additional seashore type things you do that go along with the suggestions in the book are just additional, but in no way necessary, since we wrote the needed experiments.

Blessings,
Carrie :D

Natreez

Post by Natreez » Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:27 pm

{Ah shucks!! I was so looking forward to telling my husband we had to take a field trip to the beach. :wink: :lol: } No seriously...thank you for clarifying this for me Carrie. I also appreciate the additional links Jen.

Natreez

MamaBear23Cubs

Post by MamaBear23Cubs » Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:28 pm

I also live near Lake Michigan (less than 30 minutes) but have yet to go. I prefer the smaller lake in the next town over. I feel more comfortable going there than LakeMichigan plus the beach keeps getting closed. Anyhoo we had just moved from the ocean so we compared the body's of wather. We are going to an aquarium in a few weeks even though we finished the book awhile ago. In the book we make plant pictures, the box thing and the activities in the guide. My daughter really likes the One Small Square books and wants to go them all. :)
Military wife and Mama to 3 (DD12, DS8, & DD7)
Have used: Little Hands For Heaven, Little Hearts For His Glory, Beyond Little Hearts For His Glory,
Bigger Hearts For His Glory, and Preparing Hearts For His Glory.
http://livinglifeonthehomefront.blogspot.jp/