Rod and Staff orally in World History

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
new2homeschl

Rod and Staff orally in World History

Post by new2homeschl » Fri Aug 02, 2024 12:03 pm

Hi,
My daughter is starting the World History guide, and she's gone through HOD since Beyond. We've been doing Rod and Staff completely orally, and were planning on continuing that this year, with the exception of the specific writing "projects" assigned. But as far as everyday lessons, is that ok to continue to do orally at this stage? We find we can get grammar done very quickly this way.
Thanks,
Pam
Pam

christianmom

Re: Rod and Staff orally in World History

Post by christianmom » Mon Aug 05, 2024 8:01 am

Book 8 in US History I and II is over 1/3 written composition.

I personally wouldn’t recommend doing R&S orally except perhaps in the very early books of 2 and 3 (We have used the entire series from book 2 thru 9/10).

Rod and Staff has them draw their own diagrams, and many of the lessons are teaching composition and grammar simultaneously through the written exercises for grammar. In addition, it includes composition, outlining, and essay lessons.

You could give writing out the lessons in World History a try, and see what you think.
Last edited by christianmom on Mon Aug 05, 2024 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

new2homeschl

Post by new2homeschl » Mon Aug 05, 2024 8:28 am

Thank you for your advice.
Pam
Pam

StephanieU

Post by StephanieU » Tue Aug 13, 2024 8:09 pm

We only made it through 75% of Level 7, but we did some days completely orally. Diagramming we did written, and I only assigned 1 set (not two). Basically, if the exercise could be done as easily orally, we did it orally. If it made more sense to do it written, we did it written.
Mom to
DD16 (completed LHFHG-WH, parts of US1 and 2)
DS14 WG (completed LHFHG-MtMM plus some of LHTH)
DD13 MtMM (completed Rev2Rev)
DS8 Bigger (completed LHTH-Beyond)