Transitioning from Learn to Read to TRL

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Jaimejac

Transitioning from Learn to Read to TRL

Post by Jaimejac » Wed Jul 17, 2024 9:30 am

We are struggling with the transition from the Learn to Read: An Ant books to The Reading Lesson. The schedule says to jump into TRL at Lesson 9 after the Learn to Read books, but there seems to be some things we missed by not doing the earlier TRL lessons. Some of the notations are different for the sounds and they are using some sight words I don't think he learned in the An Ant books. Has anyone else made this transition or have any tips?
Christ Alone Homeschool
DD10 - Res to Ref
DS7 - Bigger
DS6- Little Hearts
4 babies in heaven

StephanieU

Re: Transitioning from Learn to Read to TRL

Post by StephanieU » Thu Jul 18, 2024 7:38 am

We haven't used Learn to Read, but I did have one child that did Phonics Pathways, get to a point where she was stuck and frustrated, and then do some of TRL to get over that hump (before going back to Phonics Pathways). What I did is start at the beginning of TRL but only do the pages with lists of words or stories. If my daughter could read them easily, we did many pages at once. And she liked it and boosted her confidence. It helped us catch any sight words or other things she might have missed. Once it got to the point where she couldn't read most of the words and had to really work to read, we slowed down and did everything.
Mom to
DD16 (completed LHFHG-WH, parts of US1 and 2)
DS14 WG (completed LHFHG-MtMM plus some of LHTH)
DD13 MtMM (completed Rev2Rev)
DS8 Bigger (completed LHTH-Beyond)