Notebooking Pages: plans to print in NON high-gloss paper?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
ChandraJ650

Notebooking Pages: plans to print in NON high-gloss paper?

Post by ChandraJ650 » Sun Nov 20, 2022 2:33 pm

This is our first year with HOD (Preparing) and the high gloss notebooking pages are giving us much trouble. Does HOD have plans to revise and publish them in NOT glossy paper? It would be much, MUCH appreciated! I'd even be willing to order a special copy for next year as a print on demand version of them as long as they're not glossy (even if I need to pay more for them). Is this an option? PLEASE???

LovingJesus

Re: Notebooking Pages: plans to print in NON high-gloss paper?

Post by LovingJesus » Sun Nov 20, 2022 2:49 pm

Have you tried extra fine sharpie pens? They work really well on the high-gloss paper. I buy a pack of multiple colors to help with the coloring of the time-line drawings. They can be found at Staples or Office supply stores or on Amazon.

I have read over the years a number of moms wanting the paper to be changed. They have more of a keepsake look than regular paper, but they don’t work with all writing tools.

I don’t know if they plan to revise them. Maybe! If you called HOD, I’m sure they would be happy to talk to you about solutions or if they would revise. Maybe, you could get permission from them to color copy on quality, regular paper that is easier to write on? Since they are copyright protected, you would need permission from them.

I hope something here is helpful.

Blessings,

Rice

Post by Rice » Sun Nov 20, 2022 5:48 pm

I would love if they had a non-shiny finish, too! While we have found solutions, they are not ideal, my kids don't like writing on them and they really dislike coloring on them.

While my leftie is done school, the fact that pen didn't absorb or dry quickly was a particular trial for him.

This is one thing that affects almost every guide we use and is commented on often in the FB groups.

If you were to change the finish on the NBing pages, Carrie, you would have MANY happy families!

Blessings,
Rice

DS 21 - GRAD '20: after WG
DD 19 - GRAD '21: after WH
DS 17 - GRAD '22; did CTC-WH + 2yrs non-HOD (🇨🇦)
DS 15 not using a guide this year (DONE: LHFHG-MTMM)
DS 13 MTMM (DONE: Prep-Rev2Rev)
DS 11 +
DD 9 CTC (DONE: Prep)
6yo DS phonics

ChandraJ650

Post by ChandraJ650 » Mon Nov 21, 2022 7:49 am

Rice wrote:
Sun Nov 20, 2022 5:48 pm
I would love if they had a non-shiny finish, too! While we have found solutions, they are not ideal, my kids don't like writing on them and they really dislike coloring on them.

While my leftie is done school, the fact that pen didn't absorb or dry quickly was a particular trial for him.

This is one thing that affects almost every guide we use and is commented on often in the FB groups.

If you were to change the finish on the NBing pages, Carrie, you would have MANY happy families!

Blessings,
YES!!! I have a leftie coming up to Preparing next and I am absolutely dreading these high gloss pages. He's a melancholy, and I'm 10000% positive if the pages are still high gloss by the time he gets to them I won't buy them! A moody lefty smearing ink on high gloss notebooking pages are something I will resolutely refuse to deal with!

I am ***IMPLORING*** HOD to make a change to regular paper. Use the same printing methods and paper that other companies use with good reviews, and you'll have hundreds of happier parents and students!! I guarantee it!

ChandraJ650

Post by ChandraJ650 » Mon Nov 21, 2022 7:59 am

Last edited by ChandraJ650 on Sun Jan 15, 2023 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mama4z

Post by mama4z » Mon Nov 21, 2022 2:04 pm

These tips may help ease your frustration a bit. For narrations and other written work, my children use the Frixion Erasable Pens on them in black ink. They dry very quickly, and if there is an error, they are easily correctable. My kids draw their timeline entries with Prismacolor colored pencils and we are happy with the results there. For any other drawings, we cut a piece of white paper to fit the box in which it is to go. All drawing and coloring is completed on the white page. When it is complete and to their liking, they simply glue the drawing into its appropriate box. It truly takes very little time to do this and my kids are much happier with the results on regular paper. For pictures they feel will need more room than the box provided, they will double the size and fold it in half; similar to a lapbook entry. I hope you find this helpful!

StephanieU

Post by StephanieU » Tue Nov 22, 2022 11:33 pm

My kids type anything that isn't copy work (mostly narrations). At times, they also just scraps of cream last for the drawing and coloring (left over from their narrations). They make due with the timeline and sorry copywork boxes.
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

ChandraJ650

Post by ChandraJ650 » Tue Jan 10, 2023 12:37 pm

Thanks for your suggestions. I ended up calling HOD and asking if they'd allow a print on demand option with regular paper for us. I told him I'd be willing to pay a bit more for it. The person said he'd never received such a request but would ask about it. I'll be calling again to follow up. I also don't care if the notebook pages are in color-simply that they're not glossy.

Rice

Post by Rice » Tue Jan 10, 2023 1:02 pm

I would definitely be interested in seeing what those look like!

I think they might be surprised how many people would take that option if they knew it was available!
Rice

DS 21 - GRAD '20: after WG
DD 19 - GRAD '21: after WH
DS 17 - GRAD '22; did CTC-WH + 2yrs non-HOD (🇨🇦)
DS 15 not using a guide this year (DONE: LHFHG-MTMM)
DS 13 MTMM (DONE: Prep-Rev2Rev)
DS 11 +
DD 9 CTC (DONE: Prep)
6yo DS phonics

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Fri Jan 13, 2023 5:31 pm

Ladies,

I've been away from the board for awhile while writing new products. We've also been with our son Greyson back and forth to Mayo clinic many times this past year (and just got home Tuesday again) as he has Crohns/colitis and continued complications from the total removal of his colon he experienced at age 16. He is now 20, and we are contemplating an entire revision of his internal pouch which is another major surgery. We know so many of you pray for Greyson, and we truly appreciate your prayers! :D

I have to admit as I'm stopping in to read the thread here that I am troubled by the tone in this particular one. There are many different ways to inquire and ask questions, and this thread just misses the mark in the kind, encouraging tone we have spent years cultivating on this board. I will gladly answer the inquiry, but I would ask that the tone change going forward as the questions are asked and answered.

First, I'll begin by saying that we have used our notebooks with 4 different personalities of boys in our home over the last 15 years. :D We are using the World History pages now. Our older son just finished using the pages for U.S. History II. We haven't made a point of using specialty pencils or specialty pens. Our boys just wrote on the pages with what we had. We usually had ticonderoga pencils on hand for our young boys and clicky Bic pencils on hand for our older sons. These worked well. None of our boys used pen on the pages until high school. Only a few of our boys did choose pen even then. One of our boys had two fingers with weak grip due to an injury as a child, and his writing was always lighter but still readable. :D Our boys honestly have never complained about the paper in all our years of use.

Next, I'll share that the design of our notebook pages is different from the design of other notebook pages we have seen. :D We were desiring a timeless keepsake look for our notebooks, which is different than the look of a workbook. This is why the color on our pages is noticeably deeper and richer. So, comparing our notebooks to workbook pages is like comparing apples to oranges. To achieve the color effect - along with the parchment like finish in the boxes - means the pages have ink in many layers. The layers of ink create their own gloss on whatever base paper is used. The type of printing helps reduce the gloss, but changing the paper does little to affect it. We know, because we have changed paper multiple times with little effect. Only offset printing helps with this as the pages absorb the ink better. :wink:

Right now there is a paper shortage in our nation. Paper companies have gone out of business. Others cannot get the needed materials, or the workers. This means minimal varieties of paper are currently available. We are often given one choice of paper. Printing companies have similar problems. Getting things printed right now is very difficult. Printing costs have risen and many printers have gone out of business too. Our printer of two decades stopped printing new jobs for all of last year. The cost of printing notebooks even when we can find a printer is very high right now. All of these factors mean that we are very happy to have been able to keep our notebooks in print and in stock in spite of the hurdles! :D

Last, I'll share that after 20 years of being in business, our notebooks are actually one of the things families love most about Heart of Dakota. Even though we have successfully used all of our notebooks ourselves, we are trying a different paper and offset printing in our next printing to make writing on the pages easier. :D

One thing we often hear from families is that their kids love to get out their notebooks and page through them. They are proud to share them with friends and family. Mentor teachers often comment about the functionality and beauty of our notebooks as both student portfolios and keepsakes. This is a very different reaction than a workbook page that is used once and never returned to again. Think back and ask yourself, how many workbooks do you lovingly page through upon completion? :wink:

We choose to offer something different at HOD as far as timeless keepsake-style pages. These pages are often one of the favorite time capsules families have of their time with HOD. With our own boys' success with the pages in mind, I would encourage you to try consistently using pencil on the pages with your children. You might try ticonderoga pencils or Bic clicky pencils like we used. You may find your kiddos get used to it over time. I can see where using markers or pens might be hard to edit. I think some families use pens that erase, but we have never tried that. As always, you are welcome to try whatever you think works for you! Each family has to find their own way on their homeschool journey. :D

We pray you may enjoy the memories made using Heart of Dakota as much as we do! :D

Blessings,
Carrie

Mgs

Post by Mgs » Sat Jan 14, 2023 8:22 am

Nm
Last edited by Mgs on Tue Mar 14, 2023 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Sat Jan 14, 2023 2:44 pm

Ladies,

I wanted to pop back and share some photos I snapped this morning from our boys notebooks over the years. The samples are from 7 different guide's notebooks I pulled off the shelves. My photography skills leave something to be desired, so I know there are some shadows and reflections on the pages from my phone! I just thought it might help to see the way pencils (both regular and colored pencils) work well on the pages. :D

I will also share that we are using a combination of different paper and offset printing in the next round of notebooks. This was already planned long before I read this thread. :D Printer and paper availability will definitely play a role in what we are able to do. Our most important goal is to keep the notebooks in stock for families who need them. :D We do not plan to revise the notebooks, as they are well-matched to the guides and have stood the test of time. We also are busy working on other projects we hope will bless many families.

Blessings,
Carrie

Image Image Image

Image Image Image

Image Image Image

Mgs

Post by Mgs » Sat Jan 14, 2023 3:13 pm

Nm
Last edited by Mgs on Thu Jan 26, 2023 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

LovingJesus

Post by LovingJesus » Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:37 am

Carrie wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 5:31 pm
Ladies,

I've been away from the board for awhile while writing new products. We've also been with our son Greyson back and forth to Mayo clinic many times this past year (and just got home Tuesday again) as he has Crohns/colitis and continued complications from the total removal of his colon he experienced at age 16. He is now 20, and we are contemplating an entire revision of his internal pouch which is another major surgery. We know so many of you pray for Greyson, and we truly appreciate your prayers! :D
Carrie,
I just want to extend prayers and sympathy to you, your son, and your family. Having medical issues with a child brings particular challenges to everyone in the family. Our youngest was born with medical, developmental challenges and I understand the time and energy it takes and the many days at Children’s Hospital that can occur. I will be praying for you. I am sure our LORD Jesus Christ is carrying you through these trials. ❤️

I also wanted to let you know that as a mom I’ve always loved the HOD notebook pages for their color and keep sake look. 😊

Mgs

Post by Mgs » Thu Jan 26, 2023 9:38 am

Nm
Last edited by Mgs on Tue Mar 14, 2023 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.