Online Planners vs Paper Planners

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
AMurphy3081

Online Planners vs Paper Planners

Post by AMurphy3081 » Sat Nov 13, 2021 3:38 pm

Does anyone use an online planner/gradebook? I currently use one but it was with a different curriculum. I was able to purchase the lesson plans and it would automatically enter them into my schedule. It was great with the other curriculum but HOD isn’t available on it. I’m considering getting rid of it but I love how I could check off each assignment and enter grades. It also allowed me to enter our school year dates and days off and I could reschedule days as needed without hassle. I’m looking at not using it anymore because I honestly don’t have the time to type in the lesson plans myself which I would have to do once we start HOD. My handwriting is awful so I’m not really wanting to write plans out but I need a way to keep track of school days, attendance, lessons done and grades that isn’t nerve wracking and time consuming. What are your go to’s for planners, lesson planning, attendance and grades?

LovingJesus

Re: Online Planners vs Paper Planners

Post by LovingJesus » Sat Nov 13, 2021 7:12 pm

I find the way I record these items is different when I am using HOD then when I am homeschooling without HOD.

With HOD I am doing the following:

We highlight the small boxes with I’s, S’s, and T’s each day as they are completed. This shows the work that is being done for school. Since the HOD guide is the school plan, I don’t do a separate planner when I use HOD.

I put a start and finish date on the inside front cover for each guide with my children’s names to show the months that went towards completing the 140 days in each guide. We don’t have to turn in attendance so this is my annual attendance record along with other types of learning that is part of our home to count for the other 40 days we need if I was asked to show proof.

I am recording grades in the front of each guide. The High school guides have a place to record all of the grades for the year along with course descriptions. I did tape in some school record pages for math & grammar which I grade daily. Some of the areas I add lines for daily grades, and then I use Carrie’s lines for the final grade. Some subjects I only use her lines; it depends on the subject. All of the grades are being recorded in each guide, except for LHTH which is only highlighting each box as completed. This serves as a record for the year for each guide for each of my children. I prefer purchasing a new guide for a new level rather than trying to re-use them for the next one of my children. So I really do see the guide with grades and checked off work along with samples and notebooks as their school record for the year.

I take the final grade for each subject from the guide and enter it onto their transcripts which I have through an on-line transcript service. I print them in case it ever crashes, but I do see the on-line transcript service as my record keeping for courses and transcripts.

To keep me on track, I do have a calendar that I have marked out with days to do HOD so we know the start date and finish date and which days are without school.

I hope that helps!

mama4z

Post by mama4z » Mon Nov 15, 2021 7:11 am

You may find this thread helpful. I posted pictures of the check off sheets I created to keep track of lessons completed. As it has the dates and unit numbers, it could also serve as an attendance record. Grades could easily be placed in the boxes instead of a checkmark for whatever subjects you prefer. I find this has helped me stay very organized and I can see all of my kiddos' schedules with a quick glance.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=17972&p=123128&hili ... le#p123128

Hope this helps!

StephanieU

Post by StephanieU » Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:45 am

For my daughter currently in WG, I have a checklist we use for each unit. It is actually one page for all four kids. The boxes are big enough that I can jot down anything that is a real grade (much is just marked completed). I will then use the information from the introduction to assign a course grade (you can print off the introduction from the website, so you can use it for multiple children). I will likely just put it into a spreadsheet, as I am used to that. But the checklist is nice in that I can keep it with me and mark things as she brings them to me. I can then file all of these, so I have a record in case I ever get "audited" by our state.
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)