Preparing Science: Reading too Difficult

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
aecastleberry

Preparing Science: Reading too Difficult

Post by aecastleberry » Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:07 pm

My 9 yo son fits perfectly into Preparing in every way *except* for science. His handwriting is impeccable (both print and cursive), he is fine with written narrations (of course, at just unit 6, I am still helping him formulate his paragraph), he literally loves dictation, he loves the books, etc. I truly have no concern about his placement other than science.

My daughter is in WH for her sophomore year, so we are very familiar with HOD. :)

My concern comes from my second son (13) who is extremely dyslexic, and he has always been far "behind" in guides. He is currently using CTC with modified reading and writing assignments.

All of that to say...I am worried that my 9 yo is going to fall behind in science since he is not able to read the books assigned independently in Preparing. I know what's coming in CTC and beyond -- but I don't know how to get him ready for those science books, which will have a LOT more informational reading.

Am I worrying too much? (My 13 yo has definitely thrown me for a crazy loop throughout his schooling, but I don't want to project those concerns onto my youngest son.) Is there something I can do to help him with the science reading?
It's hard to be discontent when you count your blessings.
Amber - Amazed by Grace, Wife to Scott, Mama to 3, Teacher, Photographer, Writer
daughter, 15 WH
son, 13 Boys Adventure Co-OP, CTC
son, 9 Preparing

StephanieU

Re: Preparing Science: Reading too Difficult

Post by StephanieU » Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:24 pm

I see two possibilities. First, you could record the science texts, and then have them listen to them (and follow along in the book). This will allow him to do the guide basically as written. But, it means taking time to record the science. And it would mean continuing this plan in future guides, unless his reading takes off. And I am assuming you might have to do it for some of the independent history as well (some are easier reads than others).

Or, you could wait to start CtC until his reading catches up.

If you think he is dyslexic, it is probably wise to not hold back on the other subjects just because of reading ability. He likely will never be on grade level for reading. And public schools would make accomodations like audiobooks, so it is fine to make those accomodations to homeschoolers as well.
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

The2youngs

Post by The2youngs » Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:27 pm

I have a 9yo in Preparing this year too (currently in unit 12). She is thriving and enjoys her schoolwork, but there are definitely days where I have needed to help with the science readings. Whether it’s sitting next to her while she reads or even just doing the reading myself (or a combination of both), the OSS books used in the first few units require a different kind of understanding; I think it’s because they’re not story-based, but fact based. They’re interesting reading but sometimes my daughter would struggle to be able to put all the information together into a coherent narration, so I could tell she wasn’t totally comprehending. So, I usually ask her how she wants to handle science for the day. I’ve already seen some growth in her willingness to try to do the readings herself but I’m also willing to help to keep her day moving.

With your son only being 6 units in, I wouldn’t be too concerned that he needs some hand-holding for science still. As the year progresses, I’m betting you’ll see great growth in his abilities and can be working toward more independence. Further, the fact that he’s handling everything else so well should encourage you that he’s placed well and is progressing. This is just an area that will take a little more time. :-)
Heather
Wife to Brandon for 19 years, Mommy, and Missionary in PNG

In 2023-2024:
DS 16 in US1 with a couple DE classes,
DS 14 in WG,
DD 13 in MTMM,
DD 11 in Res to Ref

Rice

Post by Rice » Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:45 pm

I am uncertain from your question whether or not your concern is about the science preparing them well for the later science in general, or if your concern is about your son, specifically. Does he have dyslexia, like your older one?

If dyslexia is not suspected, how is he doing with the Independent History Study? If hes doing fairly well (still needing some hand-holding, but gradually coming to understand what is expected and able to do the work independently), then I wouldn't be concerned. The skills of one guide do prepare them well for the next.

In fact, the biggest challenge between Preparing to CTC is usually the first Reading About History book! Many of us at least start by reading it aloud, then transfer independence over as they get used to the more challenging vocab and syntax of that book. Science is not usually too much of a challenge, though there's nothing wrong with helping with the Apologia text which starts the year, either.

However, if your younger son does also have dyslexia, I'm guessing that science will be something you will have to assist with many years. I'm not sure, other than working on reading skills through a program specifically for dyslexics, if there's anything specific you can do.

Assuming that Dyslexia is not a concern for the younger one (just the basis of the challenges for your older one), the only thing I can suggest to help stretch reading level in Preparing is to use DITHOR books at his instructional reading level (ones that are slightly challenging, though not frustrating). We do this at this level, which means we drop the DITHOR workbooks, because asking them to do instructional-level reading and then adding literature analysis on top of that is too much to expect. I have my kids read about a chapter per day and narrate orally, then try to have them do 2-3 book projects per year. (They usually get through a full book pack this way, which increases reading skills by at least a full grade level.) I save the DITHOR workbooks for middle school when they are reading more independently in other subjects.

Lots to consider, but I think that if you're not dealing with any learning challenges, you should be good to go, and if you are, you'll just need to be prepared to help out, no matter what curriculum you choose for science.

Blessings,
Rice

DS 21 - GRAD '20: after WG
DD 19 - GRAD '21: after WH
DS 17 - GRAD '22; did CTC-WH + 2yrs non-HOD (🇨🇦)
DS 15 not using a guide this year (DONE: LHFHG-MTMM)
DS 13 MTMM (DONE: Prep-Rev2Rev)
DS 11 +
DD 9 CTC (DONE: Prep)
6yo DS phonics

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:03 pm

So good to hear from you! I cannot believe your oldest is in WH - oh my! Time flies!!! :D This is a really good question! I'll just start by saying remember this is a new skill in PHFHG. This is the first year kiddos begin reading independently for science and for a portion of their history (Independent History Study box). It is important for kiddos to take on both readings, as they are essentially practicing this new skill twice a day then. New skills take real time to learn. They are harder at the start, but as kiddos move through the guide, they gradually become better at them. So, remember this is a new skill to practice all year long! :D

So, how can you help build this skill? Well, you can go over difficult, often used words prior to the reading. You can point out headings, special words, etc. This is somewhat like prereading together. Often simply taking time to enjoy looking at the pictures and reading the captions/headings/etc. (if there are any) is a great way to get the mind set upon the topic at hand. (I did this with the Emerging Reader's Set with one of my sons, and he did so much better with the reading after 'studying/prereading' it first.)

You can also 'set the stage' by reading aloud the first paragraph or two or the first page. This can be done if kiddos need you to 'get the story going' for them. Often times, this is enough to get them started off on the right foot. They now know the gist of the reading and how to pronounce some of the main words.

Be sure you don't require the child to read it all aloud. Independent reading is to be done silently, in the child's head. Reading aloud requires many skills that interfere with comprehension (i.e. thinking how you sound, trying to use exact pacing/tone/pronunciation, etc.). So, trust the child to read it independently, as long as the level of the reading is within reach.

If the reading is truly just too difficult of a level, Sound Bytes phonics might be worth going through. It can often be finished in about 4-5 months, and it is a great way to fill in any gaps for sounding out words/word attack skills. If a student is having to sound out many words as he is reading (rather than just the newer, lesser known longer words), Sound Bytes may be beneficial to do, and if necessary, PHFHG can be slowed to half-speed (and you can help with reading aloud more of the independent reading) until Sound Bytes has been completed.

This son is his own person; just because older brother has dyslexia, that does not mean this son does. However, if over time this son does show himself to be dyslexic, God will walk with you through that too. I know this is so hard, so I am not saying this last part lightly. I had such difficulty with my first son being born so prematurely (though I was thankful for him making it to 32 weeks, as I'd had a miscarriage and lost our first baby before him). I had to work so hard to get my son to do each 'first' thing - to roll over, to crawl, to talk, etc. Then my last baby was premature too. I was so worried, as he had more difficulties than my first. But you know what? God walked with me through all of that. Right by my side. He carried me. Today, I have 3 healthy sons thriving!

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. You can do this - no matter what you find now or ahead. God has especially equipped you for this; your children are so blessed to have you. Enjoy each day! No need to worry for what is ahead. You are already equipped for it. And your children are amazing! Just as they are - hope something here helps!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie