Placement of a child who is LD

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Our5kids!

Placement of a child who is LD

Post by Our5kids! » Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:12 am

Hello! So excited to finally be purchasing HOD for 3 of my boys this year! I have a placement question. I have a 7 year old boy who is dyslexic and this impacts his reading and writing. Looking at the programs, and his interests and ability to comprehend science, social studies and bible, he would fall in the Bigger hearts for his glory which is perfect because I can get the extension package to do with my 10 year old. They enjoy working together for these subjects. Should I get this and suppliment for reading and writing? That is what feels right. I don't want to complicate things but I want to feed into his interests and love of learning. Thank you :D

countrymom

Re: Placement of a child who is LD

Post by countrymom » Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:10 pm

I am wondering if you have looked at the sample week for Bigger at http://www.heartofdakota.com/pdf/BHFHG-first-week.pdf? HOD has a unique approach in the way the guides are written with much integration of skill sets as children progress. Learning comes alive through the various activities that are scheduled each week. Even if you do your own reading and writing, it would be so important for your son to be able to do the activities that go with the history, science, and Bible. Seven is the very youngest end of the guide and to be honest, many 7 yr olds without learning issues struggle to fully do Bigger. As one progresses through the guides the skill sets build upon the last guide, so a child that stretches to do a guide may reach their limit eventually as they progress through the guides.
My oldest is going through the guides at the younger end and it was tough for several years. He is a good student and we are in a good place now, but I slowed down through about 3 guides. My youngest is 9 1/2 with dyslexia/dysgraphia and we just finished Bigger but I had to do major tweaking. If I had realized what we were dealing with sooner I would have slowed way down in Little Hearts and Beyond. Truthfully we really didn't even do Beyond fully as is because he wasn't ready. So now I am working with him to prepare him to do Preparing 1/2 speed down the road. I would be very hesitant to put a 7 yr old with dyslexia in Bigger. I would encourage you to consider Beyond for your son, possibly beginning 1/2 speed to get a solid start. HOD is actually a great program for students with various learning issues and I am so glad we are doing HOD with my son. Even though he is running the very top age end of the guides and will actually be a little older than the top age, he is learning and progressing and doing very well.Welcome to HOD, it is a wonderful journey!
Countrymom
Wife to J
Big J - LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, Rev to Rev, Modern Missions, beginning parts of World Geography
Little J - LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, working in CTC

rumkimom

Post by rumkimom » Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:53 pm

I do not want to discourage you, but I would not suggest doing Bigger with a 7 year old with learning issues (is he second or third grade? Most people use this for 3rd grade), but it could work. One thing to think about is if you continue with HOD he might not be ready for Preparing by next year (independent reading). The other possibility to do Bigger 1/2 speed with him and take 2 years to finish it.

Bigger does have quite a bit of writing especially when doing the History & Science notebooking pages. Most of the writing is copywork so if he can do that well, he might be OK in Bigger. Take a look at Beyond. There is very little writing (a little copywork everyday) and it would give him time to get a little better at reading/writing. In Beyond they suggest either phonics or the Emergent readers.

My 8 year old is doing Beyond this year and will not be doing bigger until he is 9. He also can't read yet (we are working on that!!). My current 10 year old is finishing up Bigger and he did the ERs this year (he just had a hard time learning to read). He is now ready for that independent reading in the next level. Bigger was perfect for him at age 9.5!!
----
Wendy C.
DH-Owen
Emily (19 - graduatated from UCC spring 2018, Fashion Design Program)
Melody (17 - Rev 2 Rev-unit 21, IEW for writing, grammar, completed math)
Steven (12 - CTC, IEW for writing, grammar, spelling, TT Math)
Clarence (10 - PS)

StephanieU

Post by StephanieU » Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:25 pm

I personally would go with Beyond. I would only recommend Bigger for an advanced 7yo or a 7yo that has done LHFHG and Beyond already. Beyond is perfect for 2nd grade.
Last edited by StephanieU on Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

Our5kids!

Post by Our5kids! » Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:53 pm

Thank you ladies so much ! I need the honest answers because I don't want him even more frustrated and squelch his inquisitive nature . Thank you for your expertise :)