5 subject spiral notebook

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Gwenny

5 subject spiral notebook

Post by Gwenny » Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:32 am

I just wanted to share for anyone whose child also struggles with loose papers, 3-ring binders,keeping things in order, and losing things. This year for RTR I got her a 5 subject spiral notebook for the first time. We had been doing 3 ring binders and lots of composition notebooks. She came to me to do her dictation about 3 days in and said she LOVED the notebook! So far, her box is neat with all of her supplies and she hasn't lost anything! Papers are not crumpled and lying everywhere. The only 3 ring binders are the student notebook pages we bought from HOD for the guide and those have never been trouble.

Actually, she has lost something. I bought her a six pack of mechanical pencils that she likes and I put her initial on them all. She has a little bin for supplies and they are all in there. I told her she couldn't use any other pencils but those and if they are lost, she can buy more. 1 week in and I looked in her box. ALL of the pencils were gone and there was one of mine in there (a Dixon Ticonderoga). I called her and asked about it and she found one of the pencils in her box with the books! I reminded her that she couldn't use other pencils. She went on the search around the house. She told me she found 2 of them and some other mechanical pencils. I reminded her AGAIN that she couldn't use any other pencils than the ones that I bought so she can't use those. :) I also reminded her that I'm doing this to help her to be mindful of what she is doing and to keep track of her things, etc etc. Last year pencils were a BIG issue, haha. Seems like such a little thing!
Nancy
Dd29 married (w/2 sons 1/2/14, 5/24/16), ds27, dd25 married (w/dd born 8/9/16), dd25, dd22
Dd 19 HS in special ed
Dd14 RevtoRev
Ds12 RevtoRev
Ds 9 Preparing
Dd 5 LHFHG

MelInKansas

Re: 5 subject spiral notebook

Post by MelInKansas » Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:07 pm

Pencils drive me crazy. I should do what you've done. I am the one who picks them up all over the house and returns them to the bucket in the kitchen where they are supposed to reside.

Thanks for sharing that the 5 subject notebook is working well for you! I should look at that for my oldest, as a lot of the assignments are now more of a writing nature, rather than notebooking or drawing. I can see how that would work really well. I too feel papers everywhere are sometimes a problem, though my oldest is actually pretty good at keeping them organized in her notebook.
Melissa
"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases
His mercies never come to an end"

DD12 - Rev to Rev + DITHOR 6/7/8
DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven

Mumkins

Post by Mumkins » Fri Sep 04, 2015 4:20 pm

After too many torn sheet last year we went with a 5 subject book and it worked so much better.
7 awesome kids!

3 graduated
4 at home this fall
DD6 Beyond
DS10 Preparing
DS13 MTMM
DS16 online high school

Gwenny

Post by Gwenny » Sat Sep 05, 2015 5:55 am

I forgot that I also got her a bound sketchbook for her science experiments and notebooking. I started that with her in Bigger but dropped it in the next guides for papers and then putting them in page protectors. We are back to what is best for her. It's very simple.
Nancy
Dd29 married (w/2 sons 1/2/14, 5/24/16), ds27, dd25 married (w/dd born 8/9/16), dd25, dd22
Dd 19 HS in special ed
Dd14 RevtoRev
Ds12 RevtoRev
Ds 9 Preparing
Dd 5 LHFHG