A few questions for LHFHG

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
rodandmegs

A few questions for LHFHG

Post by rodandmegs » Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:15 am

My 5 year old son will be doing Little Hearts this year. He is very bright and picks things up rather quickly. However, his attention span is so incredibly short when it comes to "school". He wants to learn and wants his own schoolwork. He just tires quickly on certain activities. He doesn't have all of his leters and sounds mastered yet, as I haven't worked with him much, but he knows several and has a great memory. I ordered Reading Made Easy for him, but I've never used it before now. Is there an introduction to letters and sounds in the beginning? Or should I start teaching him those NOW so he will be ready for RME in august? Any advice will be appreciated. I love seeing how encouraging and helpful you sweet ladies are, and look forward to being active on this board!!
Mikaela - 9th - Bob Jones University DVDs
Eli - 7th - Bob Jones University DVDs
Mercie - 3rd - Bigger Hearts for His Glory
Silas - 1st - Little Hearts for His Glory
Titus - preK Little Hands to Heaven

http://Www.myfullhandsandheart.blogspot.com

Nealewill

Re: A few questions for LHFHG

Post by Nealewill » Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:59 am

I have not used the Reading Made Easy but I do know that my kids did not know the names of all of their letters before they started reading. My kids learned the letter name at the same time that they learned the letter sound. I think some parents do prefer that their kids know the name of the letter first but I am not necessarily one of those parents :-)
Daneale

DD 13 WG
DS 12 R2R
DD 10 R2R

Enjoyed DITHOR, Little Hearts, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, RevtoRev, MtMM

rodandmegs

Post by rodandmegs » Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:23 am

Thank you! That gives me encouragement. I think I'm going to use flash cards a few minutes a day until we start.

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sun Jul 12, 2015 7:36 pm

The Leap Frog Letter Factory is a great DVD to help with this! :D If LHFHG seems to much, you can always do Little Hands to Heaven first. That teaches letters and a sound for each, and it has super short activities. :wink: I'm excited for you and your ds to begin HOD too!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

rodandmegs

Post by rodandmegs » Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:20 am

Julie, I have Little Hands that I will be using with my 3 year old (half-pace, so it will last two years). My 5 year old would not be challenged enough in it. I used to have Leap Frog video...so I'm off to amazon to order another one! :lol: