New Homeschooling Mom

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
MShell1215

New Homeschooling Mom

Post by MShell1215 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:39 am

Hello,
I am new to homeschooling and need some advice. My daughter is 10 (going into 5th-using Preparing this year) and my son 8th grade. I'm debating whether to use Revival to Revolution or Missions to Modern Marvels with him. He will be 14 in Oct. Both have been in public school...do I start him out slow and start with RtoR? Any suggestions would be great! Thankyou!!

Michelle :D

Mumkins

Re: New Homeschooling Mom

Post by Mumkins » Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:38 am

Have you had a chance to look to the placement chart? I'd possibly consider going with the lower one, if he places between the two, since many of the skills would probably be new to him.
7 awesome kids!

2 graduated
2 at highschool
3 coming home to homeschool in the fall💕
DD5 LHFHG
DS9 Preparing
DS12 RTR

We’ve enjoyed LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, Preparing, CTC, WG

Rice

Post by Rice » Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:29 am

I'll second Mumkins' suggestion - go with the lower guide.

If you get part way through and things seem too easy (he's finishing early every day or whatever) you can always up the difficulty. There are lots of ways to do that: go up a level in grammar and/or do more of it written instead of oral, use a more difficult level of reading or work book (or both) in DITHOR, add the Extensions as scheduled - just for extra reading or include the suggested narrations as well, use more challenging math, etc.

I erred last year in going with the upper guide - what I hoped they could handle instead of what I knew he could do - and we had to make a mid-year switch for 2 kids. It was a very difficult year for us. It would have been so much simpler to start with the lower guide.

Blessings,
Rice

DS 21 - GRAD '20: after WG
DD 19 - GRAD '21: after WH
DS 17 - GRAD '22; did CTC-WH + 2yrs non-HOD (🇨🇦)
DS 15 not using a guide this year (DONE: LHFHG-MTMM)
DS 13 MTMM (DONE: Prep-Rev2Rev)
DS 11 +
DD 9 CTC (DONE: Prep)
6yo DS phonics

3greatkids

Post by 3greatkids » Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:52 pm

I too would agree that erring on the side of using a lower guide is best. I also pulled my kids out of ps (after grades 2 and K). I was amazed at the number of "holes" there were even at such young ages (no grammar, history, science; not great phonics instruction, etc.). There wasn't a love for learning when we started and placing them too high would have ruined their self confidence and any hope for them being life-long learners.
Happy To Be Homeschooling In Maine

MShell1215

Post by MShell1215 » Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:11 pm

Thanks ladies! I think I may take your advice!!!

Michelle

mrsrandolph

Post by mrsrandolph » Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:43 pm

I think it's always wisest to go with the lower guide.
Shannon Randolph LOVING HOD & Running 4 Guides & DITHOR
Mommy to 4 Precious Blessings
Cassie (15- World Geography),
Will (14- Rev2Rev,
Ellie (12- Res2Ref), and
Jack (10- CTC)