Placing a delayed reader in Preparing

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Mumkins

Placing a delayed reader in Preparing

Post by Mumkins » Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:42 pm

My daughter is just finishing up Bigger. She's mastered the skills in Bigger, except still working on cursive. She's completed the ER set. We've decided to have her read through the level 2 book pack now and through summer and start DITHOR in the fall with level 3.

We've begun with Pioneer Kitten. I can see this book is really stretching her. The last two books of the ER set did too. It's hard for her to read out loud. She often lowers her voice and mumbles.

She's done well with Bigger, so, no need to repeat. Preparing is several months away, so maybe it'll be ok. But, she does have auditory processing and visual perception issues. Even if she can read the books in the fall, I'm not sure if allowing her to read independently is wise.

Any advice?
7 awesome kids!

3 graduated
4 at home this fall
DD6 Beyond
DS10 Preparing
DS13 MTMM
DS16 online high school

Gwenny

Re: Placing a delayed reader in Preparing

Post by Gwenny » Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:40 pm

I'm pretty sure that the only independent reading in Preparing is the science and the Independent History box. I think you will be able to tell her comprehension of it based on the follow-up activities they do. DITHR is her reading aloud to you.
Nancy
Dd29 married (w/2 sons 1/2/14, 5/24/16), ds27, dd25 married (w/dd born 8/9/16), dd25, dd22
Dd 19 HS in special ed
Dd14 RevtoRev
Ds12 RevtoRev
Ds 9 Preparing
Dd 5 LHFHG

Nealewill

Post by Nealewill » Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:07 pm

I think she will be fine. If you find that the reading is really stretching her, just go half speed. My son, until recently, was in the same situation as your dd. Only in the past month or so did his phonic just explode. I am now no longer concerned about Preparing at all. I think if you just go at her pace, you will be fine. I remember last year with Preparing that the beginning of the year was easier to read through than the end. I do remember there was time when I was working through the guide with her, she was on week 12 or so and I was looking ahead to week 16. I literally almost had a panic attack because the reading increased. And come week 16.....she did great. Last year was my first year with HOD though so I didn't realize how okay it truly is to go at your kids pace. No more panic attacks here :-) But if she needs a little bit of extra time because of the reading, then just enjoy that time. Preparing was wonderful because it really solidified and expanded my dd's reading.
Daneale

DD 13 WG
DS 12 R2R
DD 10 R2R

Enjoyed DITHOR, Little Hearts, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, RevtoRev, MtMM

Mumkins

Post by Mumkins » Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:16 pm

Thanks ladies. She has been steadily making progress. I'm going to keep her reading over the summer. Praying Preparing goes ok.
7 awesome kids!

3 graduated
4 at home this fall
DD6 Beyond
DS10 Preparing
DS13 MTMM
DS16 online high school

Nealewill

Post by Nealewill » Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:24 am

I will pray for you too :-) I definitely know how difficult it is with kids who are delayed in reading. My oldest and middle child had tons of trouble. But they are doing so well now. I have found that I just have them read, read, and read some more. I break it up during the day if need be. But I did make them read at least 30 min a day at age 8 because they just needed to read. I also got to the point that I would make my kids read along with me when I read. I would use my finger to track where I was in a book. And I think they followed along with me enough.
Daneale

DD 13 WG
DS 12 R2R
DD 10 R2R

Enjoyed DITHOR, Little Hearts, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, RevtoRev, MtMM

MomtoJGJE

Post by MomtoJGJE » Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:36 am

If she completed Bigger as written she should be fine in Preparing. You might have to go half speed for a while, or not start DITHOR for the first little bit just to hold down the amount of reading some. But then again, you have a whole summer between now and then! Who KNOWS what will happen in that time.

I would try and see how she does not reading aloud. Maybe have her read to you for the first couple of days, just to make sure she knows what she's doing. After that, try and see how she does reading to herself. It's a different set of skills.

crlacey

Post by crlacey » Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:24 am

I would think that if she's done Bigger as written, she should be ok to do Preparing next.
My daughter is dyslexic, so reading is very difficult for her. We often do a tag team reading for those things that are tough for her. So for science, she'll read some then I'll finish it for her. This insures she is getting the content. Maybe you can start the year off like that if it is needed as slowly hand over the independent boxes if she's ready.
Crystal
DD 20 married college graduate
DS 17 college student
DD 11 CTC

Finished: LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, BHFHG, PHFHG, CTC, Res to Ref, Rev to Rev, MTMM, parts of WG and WH