Questions about read alouds

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
gracelikerain

Questions about read alouds

Post by gracelikerain » Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:03 pm

Hi all, :)
I am really looking forward to purchasing HOD! :D I was wondering if anyone checked books out from the library instead of buying them. I really won't be able to buy all the packages that I want. :cry: So, I thought I could get some of the books at my library. Are all the books scheduled in the guides? Or do you get a guide with each separate package. On the samples I don't see the read alouds scheduled.

Thanks so much!!! :D
Georgette~
Isaiah 54:13
Blessed with 5 awesome gifts from God!
Trail Blazing 4 HIM!
dd-12-CTC
dd-9-Preparing
ds-6-LHFHG
dd-3-tagging along & keeping life real fun!
ds-5 months

Lisa E

Post by Lisa E » Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:20 am

I am new to HOD, but I have researched all the books that HOD uses with my local library. It has a borrowing service of all the books within the county, it is a blessing that I live a very large county because I have access to about a few dozen libraries and if they have the book it is courried to my library within a day or so. I have found that many of the books she uses for DITHOR are in my library and I plan to use them as much as possible. I have also found alot of the read alouds to be there too.
It just took me an evening to do the research online, I didn't even have to go to my library to do it I did it right here in my home. I love the internet it saves me alot of time sometimes :D .
HTH
Lisa

gracelikerain

Post by gracelikerain » Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:15 am

Hi Lisa, :D
Yes, I did the same thing with my library service. It is so helpful isn't it!

Thanks,
Georgette
Georgette~
Isaiah 54:13
Blessed with 5 awesome gifts from God!
Trail Blazing 4 HIM!
dd-12-CTC
dd-9-Preparing
ds-6-LHFHG
dd-3-tagging along & keeping life real fun!
ds-5 months

holyhart

Post by holyhart » Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:18 am

I'm a little jealous that your library has a website that allows you to look stuff up!

Ours has hours, event schedule and that is about it. You can't look up to see if they have certain books. You can only do that from the computer in library.
~Kelly~
wife of CB since 10/99
mother to:
~Evelyn Grace 5/03
~Joshua Ryan 11/05
~Lillian Rose 8/08
~Caleb Charles 8/10

Lisa E

Post by Lisa E » Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:31 am

Georgette,
Yes, everything is scheduled in the appendix, at least that is how it is done in Beyond. It also gives alteranate lists of books that can be used. It really is very user friendly and with lots of options.
Sorry I quess I forgot to answer your question.
:oops: Lisa

mom2boys030507

Post by mom2boys030507 » Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:25 am

Yes you can use the library for the read aloud books. The main concern is if you will finish in the amount of time that you can have the book out. For us it is 3 weeks. I use the Library for some of our books and then purchase the ones I know all 3 of my boys will use, for example, the emergent reader set. The other thing I have been doing is carrying a list of the books I need in the car and when I go garage saling or get a chance to stop at Half Price books I look for the books on my list. I am surprised at the number of books I have been able to find.

Karen
Karen - mom to Bryce 02/03, Micah 03/05, and Matthew 05/07

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sat Jun 21, 2008 1:50 pm

Hi Georgette! There was a past thread on library books that you might find something beneficial in. Here's that link:
http://www.heartofdakota.com/board/view ... ht=library

In Christ,
Julie :o
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie