Silent reading question

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
jsusgrl

Silent reading question

Post by jsusgrl » Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:46 pm

Hi everyone! I was wondering if there is silent reading time written in the schedule of the manuals? The books all look so wonderful and I know my kids will want to read some by themselves, as we are used to doing that too. i just know they will want to grab a book and go read. I noticed some of the books are selected for them to read aloud and others for the storytime. Are Any selected for silent reading? Just curious or any ideas on planning that in the schdeule?
Thanks so much and God bless you all,
Angie

Melanie

Post by Melanie » Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:13 pm

I think (could be wrong, not this far yet :wink: ) that Drawn could be used this way.

It's not scheduled in Beyond in the guide, but there's no reason you can't throw that in. When I was teaching, we had SSR time every day. My kiddos like to sit in bed and read for about 30 min. before lights out every night. ( I bought some quilt hanger shelves from Pottery Barn, hung them upside down,and voila....instant book shelf hung right beside each bed and yes, they all 3 have matching beds...do I need therapy?) It is just for fun and I don't monitor it at all...I just provide the books.

:D Mel
Using LHFHG with
ds - '00
dd - '00
dd - '02

jsusgrl

Post by jsusgrl » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:38 pm

Thanks Melanie:-)
You're right......that would be easy to add in:-)
I'm so excited about all of the books with HOD and was hoping to use some of those for silent reading time, but don't want to spoil it if they are on the storytime/ read aloud list!
I love the idea of the quilt rack turned upside down for a book case. Too Cute!! You must be evry creative.
God bless and thanks so much!
Angie