CTC writing

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
PoppyD

CTC writing

Post by PoppyD » Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:25 am

Hi ladies,
We are planning to use CTC next year for my 5th grade daughter. I was planning to just go with whatever writing is suggested. But we are doing a combination of Classical Academic Press' Writing and Rhetoric and a new program called Treasured Conversations. We will finish that one but Writing and Rhetoric has a lot more to cover. My daughter and I are both loving these programs. It's her favorite part of the day. But I don't want to miss out on something that's critical with HOD. What are your thoughts on this?
Thanks
Poppy
2016/2017 Preparing - 3rd grade daughter

Nealewill

Re: CTC writing

Post by Nealewill » Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:20 am

Normally I recommend everything from HOD hands down. But as a homeschool mom, I also know how it feels to want to use something different in one area at times. For me, I chose HOD because of the ease of using the products and the schedule that they set. Don't get me wrong, I love the products themselves and that is a huge reason why I selected HOD. But i don't tend to deviate. I think if you and your DD hands down love that program, I personally would hate to sway you from it. You could always use WWTB 1 with MTMM instead of WWTB 2 if you want to use it then.
Daneale

DD 13 WG
DS 12 R2R
DD 10 R2R

Enjoyed DITHOR, Little Hearts, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, RevtoRev, MtMM

gratitude

Post by gratitude » Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:06 pm

I love R&S English, but if I were you I wouldn't change to it if you and your dd are loving and doing well with what you are using.

If you look on the CTC sample you will see in the Language Arts box R&S scheduled with dictation, DITHOR, and Writing With the Best. You will also see *Or your own grammar program underneath the scheduled R&S and *Or your own writing program underneath the scheduled Writing With the Best. I have been given the impression that HOD makes suggestions for families to choose, but also wants families to choose what is best for them in the areas of grammar and writing and math.

You may want to consider DITHOR for reading and dictation for spelling, since they are scheduled as a portion of the full CTC writing.
Last edited by gratitude on Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PoppyD

Post by PoppyD » Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:29 pm

Thanks for the replies so far.
I actually use R&S for grammar and love it so I will keep that. I'm just talking about the writing specific portion. We also really like CLE reading, but it only occupies about a half a year. So I think I can alternate that with DITHOR.

PoppyD

Post by PoppyD » Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:02 pm

Anyone else want to weigh in?

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Thu Jan 01, 2015 4:43 pm

Any writing program can be used with HOD. In weighing which writing program to use, I think it is helpful to see the bigger picture of how CTC's writing fits within not only the overall progression of writing in HOD but also within writing across the subject areas. This helps explain the thought that Carrie put into choosing each writing curriculum for each year, and how those choices keep intact the balance of writing within each guide considering what is done for other subject areas. Carrie wrote an excellent post about this that I will link you to below (I see we need to update it with the latest guides' writing progression)...

Progression of Writing Through the Guides:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=8731&p=64455

I personally felt WWTB Vol. 1 was a turning point for each of our dc in their writing. It has much depth, it is quite difficult, and the reading excerpts of the classic literature model higher level writing styles. I found it to be very Charlotte Mason-like, with excellent living books at the heart and soul of the writing program. Each of our dc connected with different author's styles, and tried to emulate them in their own writing. I was also thankful we had completed WWTB Vol. 1 prior to working through WWTB Vol. 2. Finally, I love being able to fully use my HOD guides and take advantage of all of the careful plans laid out, rather than taking precious teaching time to plan something different. :wink: I also like that my dc can begin without me if need be. Here is the description of what is covered in WWTB Vol. 1...

In Write with the Best, literary passages from respected and well-loved authors are used to teach students how to write. Creative activities break the writing into manageable chunks and help students identify what makes a literary work "great". Students are encouraged to make writing more vivid, and the student ultimately produces writing that models the genre of the literary passage. Guidelines for evaluating and grading writing, suggestions for adapting the curriculum for different learning styles, and student proofreading and writing guides are also valuable parts of the program. Each daily lesson takes only 15-45 minutes, is addressed to the student and can be used with all children in a family at the same time. The program includes all needed excerpts from all of the literature that it models so that teachers are not required to purchase additional material. This curriculum is a genuine, incremental (step-by-step) program which requires minimal teacher involvement towards the goal of mastery of creative writing. Hearts for Him Through Time: Creation to Christ will schedule lessons from this guide twice weekly. For grades 3 -12, but best suited for grades 4-8. (View a pdf of part of the guide here)

Nine different genres are covered:
* Describing an Object from Jules Verne - a Place from Charles Dickens - a Character from Daniel Defoe
* Dialogue from Kenneth Grahame
* The Short Story from O. Henry
* Fables from Aesop
* Friendly Letters from Robert Louis Stevenson
* Poetry - Rhyming Verse from William Wordsworth
* The Ballad or Narrative Poem from Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

I hope something here helps as you consider what you'd like to do.

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

juliegmom

Post by juliegmom » Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:56 am

Hi Poppy,

My daughter will also be starting CtC as a 5th grader in the fall. We are in our first year using CAP Writing and Rhetoric and it's been a hit. I plan to continue with it next year. We already use Rod and Staff for grammar, but DITHOR will be new for us next year.

I have to add that based on Julie's comments that I will be taking another look at Write With the Best. I don't know that it can sway me from CAP. So far, I've been very pleased it.

Blessings,
Julie