Geometry... For those using A Guided Inquiry...

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
StillJulie

Geometry... For those using A Guided Inquiry...

Post by StillJulie » Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:03 am

What do you think of it so far?

I'm trying to make a decision on Geometry for next year. I think I'm debating between this and Jacobs. I read an old thread that talked a little about the two, but at that point, I don't think many people had the hands on experience with it yet.

I wish I could get my hands on a copy of each to compare before laying out the money, but I haven't found anyone local using either yet.

So, please tell me your likes and dislikes... what you're thankful for, what frustrates you... how your child likes it...
16yo DD using US History 1 for 11th grade
14yo DS using World Geography for 9th grade
13yo DS using Rev to Rev for 7th grade
10yo DD using Creation to Christ for 5th grade
8yo DD using Bigger for 3rd grade
7yo DD using Beyond Hearts for 2nd grade

my3sons

Re: Geometry... For those using A Guided Inquiry...

Post by my3sons » Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:43 pm

Hi Julie! :D I'd be glad to answer your questions about Geometry: A Guided Inquiry. We are 13 weeks into using Geometry: A Guided Inquiry. It took us a little while to find our groove, but now we are in a good rhythm with it, and I am happy to say Wyatt is really enjoying it. :D I typed up this list for Wyatt and me to use together as we work through each chapter...

1. Watch the chapter introduction on the computer on your own or with the teacher.

2. Work the Central Problem section with the teacher. This will take multiple days. The answers are printed in the binder.

3. Do all of the Central Self Quiz on your own. Check answers in the geometry textbook. This will be graded.

4. Do the Review on your own. Watch the video solution guide on the computer for any areas of difficulty. Check with the answers in the geometry textbook. This
will be graded.

5. The Review Self Test is optional. The answers are in the geometry textbook.

6. Do at least half of the Algebra Review. Check the answers in the geometry textbook. This will be graded.

7. Choose several Projects to work. Check with the the answers in the binder. The Geogebra demos on the computer can be watched as needed.

I usually watch the introduction with Wyatt. It is interesting and sometimes quite witty! :D Wyatt gets a kick out of listening to it, and it reminds me very much of a Charlotte Mason living style book - only just on audio. :wink: He is clearly passionate and knowledgable about geometry, and he has a deep sort of booming voice as he tells about it! :D The introduction shows him 'drawing' on a closeup of Geogebra backgrounds that parallel the Central Problem, similar to how a football coach draws plays as he talks about a play he wants his players to perform on the field. :wink: You never see David Chandler, but you can see his drawings in motion and hear his narrative voice. :) Watching this introduction helps set up the thinking behind the problems the students will be asked to solve. It reminds me of the importance of the 'why' behind the 'how' of doing math that Singapore Math is famous for.

The Central Problem is difficult. It is good to know this going in! However, by watching the Introduction, you can have a jump start on solving the Central Problem successfully. Working the Central Problem together helps ensure the Central Self Quiz and Review going smoothly, and being done largely independently. We were doing all of the Algebra Review, but we have now greatly downsized it and even sometimes omitted it to have more time for Wyatt to work through more Projects at the end. The Algebra Review is not linked to the Geometry concepts just learned, but is more for students to keep their hand in Algebra alongside working Geometry. Wyatt did very well with Foerster's Algebra I last year, and I anticipate him doing very well with Forester's Algebra II next year. So, for Wyatt, I'd rather have him focus on Geometry this year, as I'm confident in his Algebra skills. :D I'm not sure if I'll do it this same way with our other children - if they are not as adept at Algebra, I'll probably work those problems alongside them throughout the Geometry year.

I think doing every single bit of every single part of this text would be overwhelming. With the pacing suggested by Carrie and with the notes I've made above, it is very doable, and Wyatt is enjoying it overall. I mentioned this in my last weekly check-in, but I'll share it here too...
Geometry has Wyatt pulling out his compass and straight-edge ruler to solve complicated problems by hand. I came to meet with him for geometry, and he was hard at work drawing something quite complicated. I asked what problem he was on, and he said, "Oh, this isn't assigned, but I just wondered if I could use just a straight-edge and compass to draw this, but hmmmm... well, it's not working out like I thought it would." I loved this - I didn't even care his hunch wasn't right! It was just the fact that he'd listened to the intro about how many, many years ago, mathematicians didn't have a protractor, and just had to do their geometric calculations with solely a straight-edge and a compass. He'd done multiple problems, that were simpler, along these lines, but he wanted to see if it could be done with a more complicated design. Even the math in HOD makes dc THINK for themselves!

The further we go with Geometry, the more independent of a subject it is becoming. Wyatt is enjoying it, my involvement is minimal, and I have the text, the answer keys, Geogebra, and David Chandler to help me should I need to step in and help more. So, with the above scheduling tips, we are finding this to be an excellent Geometry choice for Wyatt this year! HTH!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

StillJulie

Post by StillJulie » Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:24 pm

Thank you for such a thoughtful reply. It is very helpful!

I really wish I could see it in person...
16yo DD using US History 1 for 11th grade
14yo DS using World Geography for 9th grade
13yo DS using Rev to Rev for 7th grade
10yo DD using Creation to Christ for 5th grade
8yo DD using Bigger for 3rd grade
7yo DD using Beyond Hearts for 2nd grade

dianeh47

Post by dianeh47 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:51 pm

Julie,
We are doing the geometry and I didn't realize that there is an introduction. Where is it? We are in chapter 4 and I feel sad that we missed that part of it.
Blessings,
Diane

Began HOD in 8/2008
Joel -18 US2 History

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:06 am

The introduction is on the flash drive that David Chandler wrote. There is an introduction for every chapter, and we have found it really helps us with the central problem. Before David Chandler wrote this, people used the textbook without it, so I'm sure if it's going well for you that what you were doing is just fine!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Sister to Carrie

dianeh47

Post by dianeh47 » Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:46 am

Julie, I did not get a flash drive, only a CD. Should I call Carrie to get the flash drive? I paid for the entire math package.
Blessings,
Diane

Began HOD in 8/2008
Joel -18 US2 History

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:08 am

I enjoyed visiting with you on the phone about this, Diane! :D Have a Merry Christmas! :)

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Sister to Carrie

dianeh47

Post by dianeh47 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:11 pm

Thank you Julie. I have ordered the flash drive and it has already been shipped.
Have a Merry Christmas.
Blessings,
Diane

Began HOD in 8/2008
Joel -18 US2 History

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:58 pm

dianeh47 wrote:Thank you Julie. I have ordered the flash drive and it has already been shipped.
Have a Merry Christmas.
Great! :D :D :D You have a Merry Christmas as well!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Sister to Carrie