New to HOD--Question re materials

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Sunflower Face

New to HOD--Question re materials

Post by Sunflower Face » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:37 pm

Hi,
I have decided late in the ballgame to return to homeschooling one of my daughters (5th grade, after a year in public school--whew, we got socialized!) and plan to use HOD this year. I do not have any curric. yet,and am on a tight budget so I am trying to get only what I need for the first semester, or even the first quarter.

I plan to order the teacher guides, but can someone tell me which books I will need up front for Creation to Christ for History and Science in particular?

I do have my math and grammar, whew!

Thanks!

Jena

StephanieU

Re: New to HOD--Question re materials

Post by StephanieU » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:51 pm

I would call HOD. I know they have done payment plans in the past. Normally that works out better for everyone because things are only shipped once. So many of the books HOD uses are used throughout the year, so often it is only one or two books in each package that you could wait on.
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

TXmommy

Post by TXmommy » Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:40 pm

I am also having a "budget" problem... I want ALL the books!!! It's too much for me to get all at once though.
I will be doing Preparing with my two oldest... would this work? :

Buy all of the following: Economy package, Economy package science add-on, DITHOR and workbook, math, and English
THEN...
Buy or borrow books as needed from: DITHOR books, Basic pkg, deluxe pkg, (and maybe extension pkg.)

OR which package is more important if I can only get one: Basic or Deluxe package? (I'm thinking the Basic package should be purchased for the Storytime box.)

Thank you!
Mommy to three precious little ones... and one on the way!
Excited to be using HOD for the first time our next school year :)

MomtoJGJE

Post by MomtoJGJE » Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:43 am

If I HAD to skip getting either the basic or deluxe in Preparing I would choose to get the Deluxe.... However if you could work out a payment plan with them and get all of it that would be even better...

Nealewill

Post by Nealewill » Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:44 pm

Yes, I would also skip the Basic package as well if you need to. The deluxe package is what gets the kids ready to complete the following level.
Daneale

DD 13 WG
DS 12 R2R
DD 10 R2R

Enjoyed DITHOR, Little Hearts, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, RevtoRev, MtMM

TXmommy

Post by TXmommy » Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:36 am

Wow! Thank you for the input Nealewill and MomtoJGJE ... I am praying that this all works out, and trying to figure out what's best for me to do, so I appreciate your help.

Thanks again!
Mommy to three precious little ones... and one on the way!
Excited to be using HOD for the first time our next school year :)

MelInKansas

Post by MelInKansas » Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:44 pm

You CAN sub in other books for the storytime books, I think there's a Bibliography in the appendix, so possibly you could find some that are available at your library or something.
Melissa
"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases
His mercies never come to an end"

DD12 - Rev to Rev + DITHOR 6/7/8
DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven

Sunflower Face

Post by Sunflower Face » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:42 pm

Thanks, everyone for the ideas. Please pray for wisdom! :?

Nealewill

Post by Nealewill » Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:14 am

Sunflower,

I will pray for you. Hopefully you were able to get in touch with HOD to ask about a payment plan.

If I were trying to purchase the bare minimum amount of stuff, I would buy the Economy Package (history), Economy Package Science Add-On, you will need the DITHOR Teacher manual and the Level 4/5 student book, Grammar book - possibly English 4 or 5, Write with the Best writing book, the Singapore math level book, and the Philippians CD. We did purchase the Illustrated Family Bible but I found that my dd much prefers to read her own Bible. You could easily borrow the story time book from the library if you plan to read from the boy/girl interest pack. You may be able to get some of the books from History package from the library but probably not nearly as many. As for the extension package, you don't need that since your child isn't in 6th or 7th grade. As for the books to read for DITHOR, you could easily use the library for that as well. And with DITHOR, there is also a book called "Book Projects to Send Home." If you plan to do any of the projects, then you would need to purchase this book as well

But definitely call HOD. They are wonderful and they can help guide you through your purchase.
Daneale

DD 13 WG
DS 12 R2R
DD 10 R2R

Enjoyed DITHOR, Little Hearts, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, RevtoRev, MtMM