placement coming out of public school

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
nspears

placement coming out of public school

Post by nspears » Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:17 pm

My eldest daughter is coming out of public school and I am not sure where to place her bigger, preparing, or CTC? She has always done school fast she will be 10 and in the 4th grade. I have tried to match up what I know that she already knows but I don't want her to get board or too overwhelmed. Any help is appreciated.

Rice

Re: placement coming out of public school

Post by Rice » Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:47 pm

I'm still working on placement myself but I know the ladies here will want more info before making a suggestion. Go here: http://www.heartofdakota.com/placing-your-child.php and see where your daughter places in each category. The best placement for the top section (reading, writing and grammar - and math, if you plan to use the suggested Singapore) is likely your best placement, even if another might look slightly better for the lower sections, since the top section is really the core of each guide. Once you know where she fits (ie in which guide) for each of those subjects you can do one (or both) of two things: come back here and update the ladies with what you've learned and ask for more specific guidance or call HOD to discuss it with them personally. I have done both and you can't really go wrong, but the personal service I've had by phone, once with Michael and once with Julie was wonderful. I came away confident in what we had decided on (which really just confirmed where I was already leaning).

Blessings as you make your decision and welcome on the journey!
Rice

DS 21 - GRAD '20: after WG
DD 19 - GRAD '21: after WH
DS 17 - GRAD '22; did CTC-WH + 2yrs non-HOD (🇨🇦)
DS 15 not using a guide this year (DONE: LHFHG-MTMM)
DS 13 MTMM (DONE: Prep-Rev2Rev)
DS 11 +
DD 9 CTC (DONE: Prep)
6yo DS phonics

my3sons

Re: placement coming out of public school

Post by my3sons » Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:25 pm

Rice did a super job of linking you to the placement chart and giving solid advice! :D I'd look at the PHFHG column to start with and see what you think of the specifics provided in the columns of the chart. Share your findings with us - we'd love to help more then! :D :D :D

In Christ,
Julie

P.S. Rice - thank you for your kind words about speaking with Mike and me! I meet the most wonderful ladies on the phone and on our message board. God is so good to put us into contact with one another. :D :D :D
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie