Totally overwhelmed, New to HOD, placement?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
holdingon

Totally overwhelmed, New to HOD, placement?

Post by holdingon » Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:00 pm

After Mel's reply to my post yesterday viewtopic.php?f=6&t=15407, and reading through the FAQ's and posts by Carrie on placement, I looked at the placement chart again, applying it to each individual child. Not only am I still not sure which level to put some of some of my kids in, I am totally overwhelmed at the idea of 1 - completely doing something new, and 2 - doing possibly 3 guides at once. :shock: I'mjust going to give the run-down of where each kid places across the chart, so maybe that can help others help me.

I'm still not sure where to put my oldest. For age, he places in Rev2Rev. For Reading, I think he would place in RestoRef, but I'm really not sure because I have no idea if he could use DITHOR since we've not done it, and I'm not really sure what "formal lit study" means, so I'm not sure if he's had "some exposure" or not. For writing, he would place in CTC, I think. Math and grammar will need to be individualized as he is behind in those. For Bible, he could easily fit into RestoRef. He loves Bible study and worldview type things, so possibly even RevtoRev. For the history row, he definitely could do CTC, possibly RestoRef. Science row - RestoRef. Storytime - RestoRef. Poetry - RestoRef, I think?
So, it seems to me, even though I previously was leaning toward CTC for him, part of that was because I want to start with the Ancients. But after reading Carries FAQ post about history cycles, I realize that is a very low-priority reason. I am not sure he can keep up with the work/time involved, since we have not been doing much of anything except math for the last 6 months. But any of it will be appealing to him and so that will help. He does love history and science.

I am pretty certain my 11 y.o. should be in Preparing.

My 10 y.o. fits in Preparing for age and reading, but she does not entirely know cursive yet, so is that enough to hold her back? On the second tier of placement, she seems to fit better into Bigger - for history, science, storytime and poetry. But I wonder if the books would be challenging/interesting enough for her if I put her in Bigger. She reads at a much higher level.

And my 2 boys definitely would fit in Beyond.

And my 4 y.o. is just along for the ride for now.

And all those different levels are daunting because I just have no way to afford it all and I wonder how I can do it all, even if I could. Feeling very confused and discouraged.
ds 13
dd 11
dd 10
ds 8
ds 6
dd 4

8arrows

Re: Totally overwhelmed, New to HOD, placement?

Post by 8arrows » Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:21 pm

I would not keep a child back for cursive. I think Preparing for the 10 and 11 year olds would be a good fit--and with a larger family, usually, some combining is nice.
It sounds like RTR (Resurrection to Reformation) might be a nice fit for the oldest. This also puts all your groups with a year in between, which is nice for the teacher. you aren't teaching guides back to back. It is also world history, so I think they are a nice pair to do together if it works out that way. I think the science might be a better fit as well. It also uses a writing program which may really interest him. I think you will find this board a breath of fresh air. The ladies are very encouraging and helpful!
Melissa, wife to Jim for 28 years
3 graduated, 2 using US 2, 8th grade dd using Missions to Marvels
Isaiah 40:11 ...He gently leads those that have young.

Nealewill

Post by Nealewill » Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:21 pm

First, I just want to you know that I am praying for you for freedom from the enemy. He is the one who brings guilt and makes us feel like a failure. And I am glad that sharing your story is hopefully helping to bring some freedom, healing and hope.

When you wrote your post yesterday, I hadn't had the time to reply and the first thing I thought of was the guides RestoRef, Preparing and then either Little Hearts or Beyond. I think the cursive thing will not be an issue. To me, I would put it up to you decided whether or not you teach your oldest cursive. I think it is nice to know but necessary?? I leave that to you. For your kids in Preparing though, I would purchase cheerful cursive and have them do one lesson per day. This way when they get to CTC, they can start writing things in cursive. As for math - the level you chose doesn't dictate the math. That is all up to you. Are you planning on continuing on with the current math program that you are using? If not, I highly recommend Singapore. But if you don't have the time to teach it and you are stressed already, there may be other math programs already out there specific for this purpose you have. I am sure that you are not the first person who has a child behind and I would think there are some programs available that will help. I know with Singapore, it teaches many things in a different order. So you may check the placement chart and see where your oldest lines up. The good news is that if he is at level 4 or 5, you could probably cover one and half levels (3 student books) each year and then he would be on track for algebra by the time he is 15. But that would include doing math over the summer possibly. Or he could double up on his lessons (but not sure how you feel about that). If he is struggling with a concept, then doubling up is not good. If is he totally understanding, then doing 2 lessons would be fine. And with Singapore, the lessons are short. So he would only spend 20-30 minutes of his time doing his portion of the calculations.

As for grammar, I love R&S! I think if your oldest is behind, I would start him in R&S 3 and plan to do the whole book that year. Some stuff may seem easy but this is where they start with diagraming. I have not used R&S 4 yet but my oldest dd starts that this year and the stuff is more complicated than R&S 3. By starting in 3, you will know that your child is growing and understanding and each level will build upon a solid foundation. I would then just do a R&S book each year with that child until he graduates. R&S is a very solid program. HOD only goes through level 8. If you finish at least level 7 by the time he graduates, your oldest will have more grammar instruction than most kids in school! As for the other kids, you could start them in grammar when they have grammar in their level. For the children doing Preparing, they would also complete level 3 R&S. I am not sure of the age of the kids in Beyond but you could have them do the grammar already included in the Beyond level or start them in R&S 2. However, by the time they reach Bigger, they could just complete R&S 2 that year.

As for spelling, HOD has studied dictation and I would go with their plans for spelling. This is going to help you move fast through your day and studied dictation is a great way to practice spelling.

The writing programs in each of the HOD levels are great as well because they are multi grade programs. So you oldest doing R2R would still learn a ton in the that writing program.

The last few things I wanted to mention is that by your oldest doing R2R alone, he is going to get the opportunity to grow significantly at his pace. One of my FAVORITE things about HOD is it is actually extremely easy to run multiple levels. I am running 3 guides next year and my teacher time will not be more than 4 hours per day. I know you have 6 kids so you will probably have an extra hour in there teaching math at multiple levels and listening to kids read. But honestly, if you use the products that HOD recommends, your teaching time is kept at a minimum and the kids learn a ton! In addition, with R2R, you will only spend about 1 hour a day teaching your oldest. Obviously, you will need to get him to a grove. So you may want to go slow for the first month or so to help him get used those the program. But other than that, I think he will feel very accomplished and eager to work hard on his day. My oldest did Preparing last year and that was the first time she had independence. It was a total win in this home! Also, the books are absolutely fascinating and my kids are HUNGRY to read them. With Preparing, you will probably be spending about 1.5 hours a day teaching. As for Beyond, you will probably spend about 1.5 hours a day with this program as well. So 4 hours a day teaching! Who can beat that :-)??? And the kids learn a ton LOL! It is wonderful.

As for what to get - For R2R, you would want to get the Economy package for history. You would need to decide if you wanted to do the Shakespeare study. I think your son would like the study if you can afford to add it, but if not, he will still receive an excellent education without it. For science, you would choose either Option 1 or Option 2 based on the books you have read in the past. On a side note, I love every book written by John Hudson Tiner so if you haven't read the books for option 1, that would be my pick. There is study in here for Boys as well. You could decide if this is something you want to add or not. I know that a portion of it does give "the talk" but I think is much more than that. It is just a strong devotional for boys in general. You can add the option of getting the CD to help in memory work. If money is very tight, this might be something I would not purchase but my kids learn well by audio so I personally am glad to have this resource. You will need the writing program and need the manual and student book combo. And for grammar, I would go with R&S 3. If you do this, in total I would buy 1 teacher book and 2 student book. This way your 3 oldest could share the 2 student books. For math, I would consider Singapore. It is a very affordable program and does a great job in teaching to understand the concepts. Now to the story packages. These aren't required but they are my children's favorite part of our day. For you oldest, I would probably skip the basic package and have him complete the extension package alone. The story time books aren't necessary, but especially for you oldest it will definitely extend the learning. And if you choose to teach this child cursive, I would add in a student cursive workbook for him. I really like Cheerful cursive. It makes learning cursive a breeze.

For Preparing, you will need to purchase the economy package for the history portion. Then you will need to purchase the science add on - this was my dd's favorite part of last year. You will also need math. I would consider switching the younger kids to Singapore as well if you feel comfortable. Then I would do R&S 3 with these kids as well. So that is why in R2R, I would purchase 2 student books. This way your two younger kids could go through the lessons at the same time. The Lead me to the Rock CD was fantastic and I highly recommend it. But again, if money is tight and you can't afford it, I would cut it. You will need the deluxe package as well (#8 in the catalog) because this ties to the independent history study portion of the program. Then you have to decide if you are come to the extension pack (#9 in catalog) or the basic package (#7 in catalog). These are the readaloud story time books or the independent story time books. These books are my children's favorite part of their day but again, if you money is tight, they aren't required. Lovely yes, but not required. I also would add in a student cursive workbook for each of these children.

As for Beyond, hopefully this is a little bit more clear. You will need the economy package, the basic package items, and math. Spelling is included as is grammar lessons in the teacher manuals. As for story time, the units are based on genre. You could easily use the library to pick your books and many listed in the packages are also available at the library.

The last thing I haven't mentioned is reading in general for your kids. If your younger kids don't know how to read yet, HOD recommends either The Reading Lesson or Reading Made Easy. If your kids do know how to read, you will need to know what level they are reading at. If they are solidifying phonics, they will need the emerging readers. All of those books are available at the library. That will help save some money. If your children are reading well, they will need to being DITHOR. You will need a teacher's manual and then a student workbook for each child in the program. I would do DITHOR for the child in R2R and the children in Preparing. The great news is that even though HOD has book packs (many of which I have purchased), you can actually use any books you want for the program. So you can get these reading books from the library too. This will also help cut down on costs. In addition, using DITHOR, you will only cover about 5 books per year. So the student books are set up for all 9 genres of literature. The student books are meant to last for 2 years. Finally, at the end of each book your child reads this year, you would complete a project. Since this is your first year using the program, purchasing only one of the Book Projects to Send Home books would be fine. I would probably purchase the Level 4. I am not sure what level your kids read at, but the student workbook is based on their reading level. You would want to look that the different book packs and see what level your child reads at. My guess is that the children in Preparing could either complete level 2/3 or 4/5. Level 4/5 has more writing activities than Level 2/3. Your oldest would probably do best in Level 4/5 this year just to get into the groove of the program.

The one thing that is really nice about doing the levels you chose is that you can easily modify Rev2Rev and MTMM for high school in future years. In addition, you are not doing any guides back to back. This way things seem more fresh to the younger kids for when the older children go through the high guides. And finally, I think if money is really tight, I would pray to God for him to find a way for you to afford it. I know HOD does do payment plans. And for me - I have seen magnificent fruit in my children from using this curriculum. I started last year and had to buy 2 levels. This year, I had to buy 3. To me, it has been worth every penny. My kids have learned SO much and they love what they are learning. They have been begging for a few weeks now to start school back up and I have finally agreed. They all love the hands on activities and the books. I love the volume of learning and their retention from it. This program has blessed my family immeasurably! For me - I work from home and had to find something that would fit my family, grow my kids, be something we could actually get done, and encourage a strong Godly relationship and Biblical foundation. HOD is just that. So again, I will pray for you that the Lord make a path for you to make this purchase.
Daneale

DD 13 WG
DS 12 R2R
DD 10 R2R

Enjoyed DITHOR, Little Hearts, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, RevtoRev, MtMM

Nealewill

Post by Nealewill » Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:22 pm

Sorry for the insanely lengthy novel LOL!
Daneale

DD 13 WG
DS 12 R2R
DD 10 R2R

Enjoyed DITHOR, Little Hearts, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, RevtoRev, MtMM

StephanieU

Post by StephanieU » Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:16 pm

One thing I would recommend is calling HOD tomorrow. Although I think the advice that the others have given might be right on, talking it over with them is often helpful. They can confirm that you have a good plan and placement and help you with what you need to order.
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

holdingon

Post by holdingon » Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:09 pm

Daneale - please don't apologize! I am so grateful for your thorough - WOW - response! Thank you so much! This was so helpful. I feel much more confident about things, now.

Just to clarify, my oldest writes cursive very well (he gets compliments all the time, especially being a boy). It is my 10 y.o. that is still learning cursive, and the placement row for writing under Preparing says "knows how to form upper and lower case cursive letters" - she's not there yet, so I just wanted to make sure that's okay, because in almost all other areas she fits preparing.

I honestly would like to switch to singapore for math, but I'm not sure how my oldest would handle that. He is behind because it was neglected, but add to that Math does not come easy for him and he needs lots of review and practice, so when I took over where my dh left off, I started with Rod and Staff for the drill-and-kill approach (previously we used Mathusee). R&S math is boring, and it takes about an hour between my teaching and his independent work, sometimes more. And that was just with year 3. We are getting ready to start 4, so I could switch to singapore now, but I feel like it's working for him and I don't want to mess it up. I'm thinking and praying about it, though. We got through year 3 in about 5 months. He strangely does better with multiplication and division than with addition/subtraction. I don't know if that's common, but that's him. He takes his time, and doing timed things to try to increase his speed only makes him mess up, so I've given up on that. I don't care if he's fast as long as he's accurate. Which, he is.

Anyway, thanks again!

And Stephanie - I will try to call HOD. Thanks!
ds 13
dd 11
dd 10
ds 8
ds 6
dd 4

holdingon

Post by holdingon » Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:13 pm

Another question that I meant to ask - about RevtoRef writing - on the EIW site it has the Medieval writing set under "experienced IEW Writers". I'm wondering if it will be too much for my kiddo as a writing program since he's never done one? Would he be better off doing the one from CTC, even though it doesn't tie into medieval history?
ds 13
dd 11
dd 10
ds 8
ds 6
dd 4

Nealewill

Post by Nealewill » Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:39 pm

Great to know your oldest can do cursive. There are so many moms I know who don't teach it :-) It is neat to read that you did teach it.

I wouldn't let the cursive hold you back from doing Preparing. My oldest dd actually was not a strong cursive writer last year when we started. I got her a cursive chart so she could copy letters that she didn't know. Her cursive improved quickly and it is neat to see how much she grew over the year. If your child is not done with cursive instruction, they would just write the things listed as "copy in cursive" in print until they are ready. I think Preparing will be a great fit.

As for IEW, a friend of mine actually started her dd in that level when she was in 5th grade. She had no other experience with IEW. I saw the TM when I was visiting with her and it is very straight forward. She also never watched any of the videos that IEW sells. And her dd did just fine with it. I think your son will probably be fine too. It is a good solid program with specific instructions. If it were me - I would go with IEW because MTMM uses the second installment of Write with the Best. At that time, I would consider whether or not to use WWTB 1 or WWTB 2.
Daneale

DD 13 WG
DS 12 R2R
DD 10 R2R

Nealewill

Post by Nealewill » Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:44 pm

BTW - if he is good at Multiplication and Division, then he should probably place in at least Singapore 4. Singapore 6 is pre-algebra. But if you and he likes R&S math better, then I would you could stick with it. Sounds like you can do two levels a year. The thing I really like about Singapore is that it teaches understanding and thinking things through. I am not as familiar with MUS but did look at it when I originally started research math programs. I fell in love with Asian Math teaching (which is what Singapore uses) because kids are taught to understand. The TM is very helpful and my kids thrive with the explanations.
Daneale

DD 13 WG
DS 12 R2R
DD 10 R2R

Rice

Post by Rice » Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:22 pm

holdingon wrote:After Mel's reply to my post yesterday viewtopic.php?f=6&t=15407, and reading through the FAQ's and posts by Carrie on placement, I looked at the placement chart again, applying it to each individual child. Not only am I still not sure which level to put some of some of my kids in, I am totally overwhelmed at the idea of 1 - completely doing something new, and 2 - doing possibly 3 guides at once. :shock: I'mjust going to give the run-down of where each kid places across the chart, so maybe that can help others help me.

I'm still not sure where to put my oldest. For age, he places in Rev2Rev. . .
I am pretty certain my 11 y.o. should be in Preparing.
My 10 y.o. fits in Preparing for age and reading, but she does not entirely know cursive yet, so is that enough to hold her back? On the second tier of placement, she seems to fit better into Bigger - for history, science, storytime and poetry. But I wonder if the books would be challenging/interesting enough for her if I put her in Bigger. She reads at a much higher level.
And my 2 boys definitely would fit in Beyond.
And my 4 y.o. is just along for the ride for now.

And all those different levels are daunting because I just have no way to afford it all and I wonder how I can do it all, even if I could. Feeling very confused and discouraged.
Hi Holdingon,
I can't help with your placement questions but wanted to say "Hi" and let you know you're not alone. I started with moving our oldest over to HOD, thinking the youngers would continue in our old curriculum until they reached the same level, then I moved the oldest 3 all over, then decided to let go of the old curriculum so all 4 school-age would be in HOD and now I've realized it's best to pull the middle two down one level! Oy! So. . . we'll be doing CTC (12 1/2 yo), Preparing (10 1/2yo, struggling reader & 9yo advanced reader - should be interesting!) and LHFHG (6yo) with 4yo, 2yo and 1yo(in Nov) all tagging along.

I vascillate between peace at having found HOD and the placement decisions I've made and complete confusion and uncertainty about placement or about all the minute details that come with starting a new curriculum. :) I know it will all iron itself out in the end but I'd rather finish making all the decisions and get the prep done so I can enjoy the rest of the summer!

Looking forward to starting this journey with you!
Blessings,
Rice

DS 21 - GRAD '20: after WG
DD 19 - GRAD '21: after WH
DS 17 - GRAD '22; did CTC-WH + 2yrs non-HOD (🇨🇦)
DS 15 not using a guide this year (DONE: LHFHG-MTMM)
DS 13 MTMM (DONE: Prep-Rev2Rev)
DS 11 +
DD 9 CTC (DONE: Prep)
6yo DS phonics

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:38 pm

double post
Last edited by my3sons on Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:38 pm

I just have to say I am incredibly impressed by the ladies that responded here to help!!!!!!!! The advice here is so wise, well-thought-out, and given with an incredibly caring, gracious, encouraging spirit. Ladies - you are appreciated so much!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
holdingon wrote:Another question that I meant to ask - about RevtoRef writing - on the EIW site it has the Medieval writing set under "experienced IEW Writers". I'm wondering if it will be too much for my kiddo as a writing program since he's never done one? Would he be better off doing the one from CTC, even though it doesn't tie into medieval history?
In regard to this question, all students who have moved through HOD have not previously done IEW when they do it in RTR, so your ds will be in good company with the rest of the kiddos doing RTR this year. CTC's WWTB writing program is good training for it, but if your ds has done some writing program(s) previously or if he places solidly in the writing of RTR anyway, he will be just fine. Carrie chose this particular IEW program for its narrative quality, because it was written in such a way by a different author that viewing the teaching DVD's and doing previous years of IEW are NOT necessary for success. My first and second ds did fine with it and grew immensely in their writing skills. HTH!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

MelInKansas

Post by MelInKansas » Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:42 pm

Hey I'm back too and just to add a word of encouragement. I can't imagine how daunting it is financially, mentally, emotionally to consider doing 3 HOD programs when you haven't done them before. The shopping cart might be sticker shock but consider that this is pretty much EVERYTHING for all subjects (except any you are doing with different programs like math). And within HOD there are so many subjects included that believe me, if you pieced it all together yourself buying books from other sites you would spend a lot more. HOD is a great value for the money spent, in the richness and depth of what your children learn. And if you keep going with it, in a couple of years when you can reuse a couple of the programs you will be so glad! A majority of the materials are reusable and HOD is also committed to keeping customers up-to-date so if there is a reason parts of it need to be adapted due to new editions or materials they give you that information for FREE rather than making you buy a new teacher's guide to get it.

I know they also offer payment plans or you could perhaps stagger buying parts of it so that you don't have to buy it all at once.

I personally think, as hard as it sounds like you have worked to get where you are, it will serve you and your oldest best to stick with the math you have. Maybe one constant thing that you are both used to will make it a little easier, if a bit longer work but hopefully he is up for that.

I think combining 2 in Preparing and 2 in Beyond is a good way to go from what you have described. The folks at HOD are great on the phone too with helping you figure out all the parts you will need for each child. Running 3 programs, as others have said, is not as hard as you might think. The independence that is taught in HOD makes it easier, along with a rhythm to each week where you do many of the same things in the same way. I love that each child is building their skills and getting one-on-one attention from me and can proudly share what they are reading and learning with the others.

Sometimes, especially starting 3 new guides, it's recommended to start one guide at a time, one kid for 2 weeks (or a pair if they are combined), get that one running, and then add in the next kid (or pair). Either stagger starting or starting 1/2 speed will make your transition a little smoother.
Melissa
"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases
His mercies never come to an end"

DD12 - Rev to Rev + DITHOR 6/7/8
DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven

holdingon

Post by holdingon » Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:51 pm

Thanks Mel! I really appreciate your thoughts.

I have a question about RestoRef, which might deserve it's own topic but I'll start here and see if anyone can help. So doing this with just my 13 y.o. - His reading level is definitely more at the Extension level, so should he do that *with* the basic, or is that more of an either/or situation? (either/or makes my budget happy, of course). Not that he wouldn't enjoy both, but if I can do just one, I'd much prefer it. And perhaps add some basic titles that we can find on kindle or at the library.

Also, are the extension books scheduled in the guide? Or do they come with a schedule?

Thanks again, everyone, really really appreciate all the great, caring, encouraging and helpful responses!

Holdingon
ds 13
dd 11
dd 10
ds 8
ds 6
dd 4

MelInKansas

Post by MelInKansas » Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:32 pm

Personally given all the other stuff you are in for, I would wait on the extensions. There is a schedule for the extensions along with suggested activities in the back of the guide. I would get started and on a good roll and if you feel he would benefit from the extensions then add them. HOD is so rich you may not think they are needed or helpful. Or he may be so excited about the history that he may want more. I think you will see that as you go on.

Extensions are most often used when two children are combined in a guide and the older one needs more challenge. They explore the history and science topics more in-depth. Yes, there are age ranges too but the placement is the best way to figure out the best fit and the placement chart is used without the extensions.
Melissa
"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases
His mercies never come to an end"

DD12 - Rev to Rev + DITHOR 6/7/8
DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven