RECORD KEEPING

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Rice

RECORD KEEPING

Post by Rice » Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:18 am

New to HOD this coming fall and using 2 guides (3 kids ages 9-12 in CTC, one with extensions and one in LHFHG). Of course, I know many of you use some sort of record keeping right within the guide, using checks or initial to mark the boxes as they're completed. However, I am wondering what any of you do for a more permanent, concise record, either for your own peace of mind/knowledge or even for reporting purposes.

In the past I have had a checklist with a week per 8 1/2 x 11 page for all my students, with room at the bottom to write in lessons, field trips, etc. The top section had our "family" subjects that we did together and the middle had a place for the individual work for each student. Should I just revamp my old page to fit with HOD or is there a pre-made record sheet somewhere that I could use? I'm also unsure how to reconcile the 4-day weeks of CTC with the 5-day weeks of LHFHG (at least for record keeping - I have some ideas for how it might work out for us practically). I would love for it to fit all my kids (4 students plus a small space for the 3 under school age).

Just wondering what others use. . .

Blessings,
Rice

DS 21 - GRAD '20: after WG
DD 19 - GRAD '21: after WH
DS 17 - GRAD '22; did CTC-WH + 2yrs non-HOD (🇨🇦)
DS 15 not using a guide this year (DONE: LHFHG-MTMM)
DS 13 MTMM (DONE: Prep-Rev2Rev)
DS 11 +
DD 9 CTC (DONE: Prep)
6yo DS phonics

MelInKansas

Re: RECORD KEEPING

Post by MelInKansas » Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:44 pm

I think a daily page would work out great. That way you could record which unit/day each child did that day (making notes if they don't finish all of it) or if you went on a field trip or did other educational activities.

I write the date on the page in the guide, the date we completed that page. But my state does not require any kind of reporting (turning in of my records) and only requires a certain number of days of school. If I was ever audited I could go back through my guide and add in our co op days and show that I had done the required number of days.
Melissa
"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases
His mercies never come to an end"

DD12 - Rev to Rev + DITHOR 6/7/8
DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:53 pm

I think what you choose to do is dependent on 2 things... what your state requires... and what you are comfortable with. So, I'll just start with the first one (because it's pretty cut and dry and easier to figure out :D ) - what does your state require? :) Then, if you would like to share, what are you comfortable with?

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Rice

Post by Rice » Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:34 pm

my3sons wrote:I think what you choose to do is dependent on 2 things... what your state requires... and what you are comfortable with. So, I'll just start with the first one (because it's pretty cut and dry and easier to figure out :D ) - what does your state require? :) Then, if you would like to share, what are you comfortable with?

In Christ,
Julie
Hi Julie,
Our province doesn't require anything. I state my curriculum choices in Sept, then send in a 1-page report in January and June. No marks are required, no number of school days, just "satisfactory progress".
I just like to keep a record of what we have done (partially because I just like it, partially "in case"). I'd like a record outside of the guide because I will use the guide again (hopefully) for up to 4 more kids, so that will be lots of marks if I don't erase between uses! And I'd also like a nice concise yearly record that I can pull out and say, "That's what that year was like." I'd like all students in one at-a-glance place to know if we're "on track", that kind of thing.
Does that help at all? :)
Blessings,
Rice

DS 11 +
6yo DS phonics

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:21 pm

Thanks for answering my questions! :D I guess it depends how much information you are comfortable with jotting down, if it is not a requirement that must be met for your province. I used to be a very detailed person and now have become much more a no frills gal. The detailed person in me would probably make a daily template; the no frills gal would make a monthly one. If you are doing a daily template, you can easily title sections with each child/guide, special comments, field trips, etc. If you are doing a monthly template, you could just use a calendar template (easily found and on the Internet). A calendar's monthly template is general 6 rows by 7 columns. For the days of the week, I'd just keep the days you school on (or Monday through Friday if a 4 day week is not consistent). You can then use the other 2-3 columns for personal comments/field trips. I'd probably jot the guide, unit #, day # in each day's square (or type the guide's acronym, unit __, day __ - so you don't need to write that daily). For example: LHFHG: Unit ___, Day ___. Then, I'd just fill in the number and comments as you go. I'd lean toward the monthly template, but the daily one will be better if you enjoy keeping quite detailed, daily notes. HTH! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Rice

Post by Rice » Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:35 pm

Thanks, Julie,
Looks like I'm on my own then - no one's volunteered a pre-made template. Now I"ll have to decide if I modify my week/page set-up from last year/curriculum or switch to your modified monthly idea. Thanks for the suggestions!
Blessings,
Rice

DS 11 +
6yo DS phonics

Nealewill

Post by Nealewill » Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:29 pm

Rice,

I am the queen of paper LOL but the only records I keep is the completed years in my basement. I am the same way - I am always worried about the just in case LOL. But I have never had anything happen and my kids have always gotten rave reviews from the certified teacher who reviews my kids schooling. Plus, my oldest has always rocked the standardized test! In the past, when I was eclectic, I did used to have a planner of what I completed. But now I just have the HOD manual that shows what we did. I don't really need anything else because I have the back up of what they completed and the manual to show what we did (we pretty much follow the manual to a T so that is what we do :-)) HTH.
Daneale

DD 13 WG
DS 12 R2R
DD 10 R2R

Enjoyed DITHOR, Little Hearts, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, RevtoRev, MtMM