Subscribing to a forum

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Rice

Subscribing to a forum

Post by Rice » Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:03 am

If I subscribe to a forum (the Main Board) for example, will I be sent an email for EVERY REPLY to EVERY THREAD? Or just an email for every thread that is started, with the option to then subscribe to that thread, if desired?

I'm hoping it will just be one for every new thread as I'm finding it hard to know which threads I've already looked at (and just have a new, unread reply) compared to those I haven't looked at before and I don't get here regularly enough to keep track. I'd love to be able to skim a new thread and decide from that whether to follow it or not, based on how relevant it is for me.

TIA for your help!
Blessings,
Rice

DS 21 - GRAD '20: after WG
DD 19 - GRAD '21: after WH
DS 17 - GRAD '22; did CTC-WH + 2yrs non-HOD (🇨🇦)
DS 15 not using a guide this year (DONE: LHFHG-MTMM)
DS 13 MTMM (DONE: Prep-Rev2Rev)
DS 11 +
DD 9 CTC (DONE: Prep)
6yo DS phonics

daybreaking

Re: Subscribing to a forum

Post by daybreaking » Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:26 am

You only subscribe to particular threads, not to complete forums. If a post comes up that you find interesting, scroll to the bottom of the page and click "subscribe to the this topic." Then, every time a new post is made on that thread, you will be notified by e-mail. Also, when you first get on the board, there is a button you can click that says, "view new posts," which will narrow down your search quite a bit. In addition, there will be a little orange box to the left of any posts that you either haven't yet read or that have had new posts since you last read them.

Wife to one amazing husband and mother to two precious blessings from above:
ds21 & dd17

Rice

Post by Rice » Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:58 am

daybreaking wrote:You only subscribe to particular threads, not to complete forums.
Actually, you can. (I did.) So I'm wondering what emails that actually sends. Right at the bottom, same as in the threads.
daybreaking wrote:Also, when you first get on the board, there is a button you can click that says, "view new posts," which will narrow down your search quite a bit. In addition, there will be a little orange box to the left of any posts that you either haven't yet read or that have had new posts since you last read them.
Thanks! I'd figured out the red/blue color coding but not what the orange box meant (wondered if it meant someone included a picture or a link). I'll check out the "view new posts" button! (Where is it? I can't find it.)
Rice

DS 11 +
6yo DS phonics

daybreaking

Post by daybreaking » Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:47 am

Rice wrote:
daybreaking wrote:You only subscribe to particular threads, not to complete forums.
Actually, you can. (I did.) So I'm wondering what emails that actually sends. Right at the bottom, same as in the threads.
I've been on this board for years and I never knew that! I guess you learn something new every day!! :)

Rice wrote: Thanks! I'd figured out the red/blue color coding but not what the orange box meant (wondered if it meant someone included a picture or a link). I'll check out the "view new posts" button! (Where is it? I can't find it.)
It's on the top of the first page, right above the darker blue "current discussions" bar.

Wife to one amazing husband and mother to two precious blessings from above:
ds21 & dd17

Mumkins

Post by Mumkins » Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:03 pm

Also, there's a little orange square beside the thread title. Click on it instead of the title and it will bring you to the first post you haven't read in that thread.
7 awesome kids!

3 graduated
4 at home this fall
DD6 Beyond
DS10 Preparing
DS13 MTMM
DS16 online high school

Rice

Post by Rice » Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:27 pm

Ahhh. All the little tricks! :) Thanks ladies!
Rice

DS 11 +
6yo DS phonics