Telling Time

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Tooactiveboys

Telling Time

Post by Tooactiveboys » Tue May 13, 2014 3:39 am

Does HOD or Singapore eventually teach how to tell time or do I need to do that on my own?
Thanks
Becky
Becky
Married to DH 21 years
DS 9 just finishing Bigger
DS 8 just finishing Bigger
Completed: LHFG, Beyond

MomtoJGJE

Re: Telling Time

Post by MomtoJGJE » Tue May 13, 2014 5:44 am

Singapore teaches it, but my kids have learned before SM taught it simply from us telling them to look at the clock when we told them what time it is.

Tooactiveboys

Post by Tooactiveboys » Tue May 13, 2014 6:36 am

Do you remember which level if Singapore ?
Thanks
Becky
Married to DH 21 years

MomtoJGJE

Post by MomtoJGJE » Tue May 13, 2014 6:41 am

hmm... haha, no? I know it was to the hour in K... hour and half hour in 1either A/B. A quick google search says 2B. A Cathy Duffy review says it's also in the 3 level. I just can't remember specifically which ones right now.

MelInKansas

Post by MelInKansas » Tue May 13, 2014 7:20 am

Yes it is touched on at least in 1A/1B, 2A/2B, I don't remember seeing it in 3A/3B yet but my daughter just started 3B and I think she got it in 2A/2B anyway. I believe Carrie has an activity or two for it in Bigger Hearts with 2A/2B?
Melissa
"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases
His mercies never come to an end"

DD12 - Rev to Rev + DITHOR 6/7/8
DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven

Tidbits of Learning

Post by Tidbits of Learning » Tue May 13, 2014 8:02 am

If you have to test, spend a bit more time on time. That sounds odd, but seriously ds took the IOWA and the CAT this year for 1st grade. His math sections were chock full of analog clocks and not just to the half hour and hour. It was not even just quarter hours either, but quite a few that read like 9:40 or 11:20. He had done well on the time sections when we studied them in math, but it had been a while since we covered them and hadn't really reviewed them before the testing. So just a heads up if you are testing to do a review of reading analog clocks before testing. It was a good % of the questions on one of the math sections on both the CAT and IOWA.
2020-2021
dd20, dd19 Grown and Flown :D
ds18-12th grade at hybrid school
ds14-8th grade MTMM President's Study and Science

Tooactiveboys

Post by Tooactiveboys » Tue May 13, 2014 6:30 pm

Good to know.
No testing in our near future:) prob next year. But good info I will tuck away.
Nana got them watches for their birthday.... but they already forgot and went swimming with them. So they were very eager to learn time until their watches broke, now it is a sad reminder. Just didn't know if I really needed to push that right now or not.

Thanks
Becky
Becky
Married to DH 21 years