Pull son from HOD for next year?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
TheATeam

Re: Pull son from HOD for next year?

Post by TheATeam » Wed May 07, 2014 11:16 am

Thanks, Melissa! And, yes, you are right...he needs to be weaned :) today I had him do his science (land animals, apologia) reading on his own and then orally narrating to me. He did it! I was so pleased and surprised. I love how HOD teaches skills little by little and then before I know it, they have mastered a skill! One box at a time, I will wean him. Lord willing, by December -ish he will be on his own for all the "I" boxes.

Until the next update,
Elizabeth

Tooactiveboys

Post by Tooactiveboys » Sat May 10, 2014 7:32 am

Thank you for the update. I appreciate the info everyone has shared.
Becky
Becky
Married to DH 21 years
DS 9 just finishing Bigger
DS 8 just finishing Bigger
Completed: LHFG, Beyond

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Wed May 14, 2014 9:38 am

Elizabeth - thank you so much for your update! :D It is often in reading the updates that those trying to make decisions on how to move forward can better see which direction to take for their own families. I loved hearing about the growth in each of your dc. :) Your dd sounds like she is soaring in those mature, growing up years of upper middle school heading towards high school! My ds enjoyed that maturing process of becoming a young man and taking on more responsibility through the years as well. I thought I'd have a harder time with him taking on that independence, but it turns out that instead of us feeling further apart, we feel closer because the meeting time we have together for high school (which lasts around an hour) is very special to us. He likes to take the lead more, show me what he has accomplished, have me help fine tune things, and then be on his way again to work at his own pace in the order he likes. :D It sounds like you are seeing that with your dd as well - praise God! :D Your ds sounds like he is loving your guidance in CTC as you partner with him to give him the skills for successfully taking on some independence. I have found the same to be true for my ds who just completed CTC and began RTR half-speed. He needed time to grow, time with me, discussions with me, and that time together for the 2 of us has been very special. I gave that to my older ds years ago, and I am glad to give it again to my middle ds now. It is sometimes tougher to go back to those younger years with little ones like my youngest, Emmett, as it always seems new and exciting to me to do the new guides with my oldest. However, I gave my oldest a firm foundation from the start, and he is now strong and ready to build on it more independently. My little one - he needs me now, and he deserves me just like my other 2 dc had me early on. And the funny is... returning to the younger guides is actually a breath of fresh air. It is always a surprise to me, as I've taught those guides multiple times at this point. The delight of a small child - not much brings that special kind of joy to a home! I will be sad to not return to LHTH and LHFHG, as my youngest is now in Beyond. Grandchildren? :lol: I would be a substitute granny teacher in a heartbeat. :D Anyway, I absolutely loved reading your update, I am so thankful you shared your journey here to inspire others, and I am so glad you have found your groove! Your post here will certainly provide inspiration for many other moms! :D :D :D God bless!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie