number lines in kindergarten b math

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
queenireneof3

number lines in kindergarten b math

Post by queenireneof3 » Wed May 07, 2014 12:39 pm

Hello...

Simple question here! My daughter is in Singapore Kindergarten B math. So far it has been great. She is doing well and comprehending everything and always looks forward to math. (My oldest son is in singapore 1b and has always struggled.)

Anyways, we hit a small bump with adding and subtracting on the number lines that I am tempted to ignore, but since i know everything is important in Singapore, i would like some advice for how to teach the number lines.

The concept is obviously simple, count up on the number line for addition and count backwards for subtraction. But crossing off for subtraction makes much more sense to her (and me!) so I have allowed her to do that. That means crossing off the number we are starting with when subtracting. For example. 7-2= She would cross off 7 and 6 and see that there are five left on the number line and know that 5 is her answer. Today I was trying to teach her how to count backwards on the number line to subtract, but I think the difference between that and crossing off are too complex for her.To count backwards, 6,5 she would assume the answer is 4. Does that make sense?

I saw her shut down in math for the first time today and want to quit because she couldn't get the number line. Now I am worried that I should have let her continue to cross off instead of trying to teach her to count backwards. I don't know how important that is? She could probably do 7-2 in her head, but I think I might be confusing her with the number line. I am hoping to avoid the serious struggles I have with my older in math. Can I allow her to cross off the number lines instead of bouncing back? It makes way more sense to me to cross off as well. :( :?:
Sara Irene
wife to Brett for 16 years already!
mommy of ds B (13yo), dd S (11yo), ds S (7yo), dd (3 yo), dd (1.5yo), and two who went to meet Jesus 3/5/2014 and 7/23/14

TrueGRIT

Re: number lines in kindergarten b math

Post by TrueGRIT » Wed May 07, 2014 1:02 pm

My son has always worked better by crossing the numbers off. Sometimes I let him. Other times I taught him to count back by pointing with the pencil. If the dot ended on a number, that was the answer. So, using your example 7-2 he would make a small pencil dot on 6 and count "1", then make a small dot on 5 and say "2". He then knew the answer was 5. 7-2=5
It took a bit but was less frustrating and he finally got it.
Don't know if that would help. Just wanted to throw it out there for you.
Mikki
Ds 12- tutoring
Ds 9- Preparing
Dd 7 - Beyond and ER's
Ds 2- LHTH (sort of)

Gwenny

Post by Gwenny » Wed May 07, 2014 1:19 pm

I don't know what it looks like in Singapore, but with my olders, we always put the pencil on the number you are starting with (7) and then drew a "hop" down 1 and then another hop 2 to land on five. (looks like a half circle)
Nancy
Dd29 married (w/2 sons 1/2/14, 5/24/16), ds27, dd25 married (w/dd born 8/9/16), dd25, dd22
Dd 19 HS in special ed
Dd14 RevtoRev
Ds12 RevtoRev
Ds 9 Preparing
Dd 5 LHFHG

StephanieU

Post by StephanieU » Wed May 07, 2014 1:38 pm

We also aren't using Singapore, but here is an idea to "build up " to subtraction on the number line. Take some sort of cube (Lego, Unifix, snap, etc). Use that as your "unit" for the number line. You probably will have to draw a big one on paper to fit the size. Then build the first number. So, if it was 8-3, make a stack of 8 cubes. Lay this on the number line to show that it is 8 long. Then break off the 3 cubes (one at a time if that is how Singapore does it). Show what you are doing on the number line. It will be similar to crossing things off probably in her head and show how the number line is very similar yet different.
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

raindrops

Post by raindrops » Wed May 07, 2014 6:54 pm

StephanieU wrote:We also aren't using Singapore, but here is an idea to "build up " to subtraction on the number line. Take some sort of cube (Lego, Unifix, snap, etc). Use that as your "unit" for the number line. You probably will have to draw a big one on paper to fit the size. Then build the first number. So, if it was 8-3, make a stack of 8 cubes. Lay this on the number line to show that it is 8 long. Then break off the 3 cubes (one at a time if that is how Singapore does it). Show what you are doing on the number line. It will be similar to crossing things off probably in her head and show how the number line is very similar yet different.
I was going to suggest something like this, but I was going to say use goldfish crackers above the numbers. LOL. Food always helps.
9 yr old boy in Preparing
6 yr old girl loving all things LHFHG

MelInKansas

Post by MelInKansas » Wed May 07, 2014 10:28 pm

In one of the guides there was the activity where you make a number line on the floor with tape and then you drive a car on it. This really clicked for my 7YO when she did that. She loved it and played it for quite a while. So you put the car on your number, and drive to higher numbers if adding, to lower numbers if subtracting. Counting to the number you are adding or subtracting (rolling the car to the next number as you count). She loves the crossing off too but that one really helped her use the number line.

So I don't think the point is that she needs to be able to count backwards right now. Just that she can see on the number line how subtracting is going down in numbers and adding is going up. It's a slightly different idea than the adding to and taking away. It's looking at things slightly differently to help them understand. I don't think my kids could count backwards when they were doing K math, it was just some exposure to the idea of counting backwards.
Melissa
"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases
His mercies never come to an end"

DD12 - Rev to Rev + DITHOR 6/7/8
DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven

queenireneof3

Post by queenireneof3 » Thu May 08, 2014 9:46 am

Thank you! I think the issue comes with when she crosses off the numbers on the number line, the answer is always the next one down. However when counting backwards on the number line, the answer is the one you land on. So knowing the difference between when it is the number she lands on and when it is the one below the last one she crossed off is too complicated for her it seems. I think we will try the number line with a car today and see if that helps. thank you!
Sara Irene
mommy of ds B (13yo), dd S (11yo), ds S (7yo), dd (3 yo), dd (1.5yo), and two who went to meet Jesus 3/5/2014 and 7/23/14

queenireneof3

Post by queenireneof3 » Thu May 08, 2014 9:57 am

So here's what we did today that worked: I got out the tape measure and a cheerio. We worked through the problems in the workbook by bouncing the cheerio up and down the tape measure. I told her this was a different way than crossing off and she totally clicked with it today! Yay! I told her it was the bouncing method. ha ha! Thank you for all your input!
Sara Irene

MelInKansas

Post by MelInKansas » Thu May 08, 2014 3:36 pm

Great! I'm so glad it clicked for her. I think just physically moving the car/cheerio is what makes it click for some reason.
Melissa
"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases
His mercies never come to an end"

DD12 - Rev to Rev + DITHOR 6/7/8
DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven