Res. to Reformation extension package

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Starla

Res. to Reformation extension package

Post by Starla » Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:27 pm

I have a 10 year old who finds reading enjoyable and is reading more and more difficult material as time goes on. (He's read all the Narnia books, the Chuck Black Kingdom series books and the Viking Quest series among others) I THINK we may try Res. to Ref. this fall with him starting off at 1/2 speed. Question....would it be better to get the history read-a-louds by themselves, the extension package by themselves, or both? Is the subject matter of the extension packages too much for a 10 year old - soon to be 11 year old boy? Thank you ahead of time for your help!
Starla
Wife of wonderful husband
Mother of 2 boys and 1 girl (LHFHG)
Homeschooling and loving it!

lmercon

Re: Res. to Reformation extension package

Post by lmercon » Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:39 pm

I am using that program this year, however, we are not using the extensions. So, I can't answer your question about appropriateness for a 10 yo. However, the read-alouds in the regular program are meant to be read TO the child by the parent. The extensions are to be read BY the child. So, I don't think it's one or the other. It would be a matter of whether you wanted more reading material for your ds to do on his own. RtR is a very full program. I don't think you'll be wishing for more material. It would be more a matter if he wanted extra reading.
Wife to a great guy and mommy to:
Ds(15) - using WG and loving it!
Dd(11) - using Res.to Ref and having a blast!
Ds (3) - our joy!
Two little ones in the arms of Jesus - I can't wait to hold you in Heaven!

Starla

Re: Res. to Reformation extension package

Post by Starla » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:15 pm

Thank you, Imercon! That's helpful to know....
Starla
Wife of wonderful husband
Mother of 2 boys and 1 girl (LHFHG)
Homeschooling and loving it!