Self study history vs extension on preparing

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
faithmama4

Self study history vs extension on preparing

Post by faithmama4 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:07 pm

We are new to Hod in the fall. I am planning ahead and am wondering if some homeschoolers could give me some input on which one to purchase. My son will be in 4th grade next year but he is an advanced reader. He's already read books like narnia, the sign of the beaver, etc. I don't want him to be bored with the self study material but some of it looks like more fun. Thoughs? Could I purchase the self study set and add on extension books as I see fit from whatever the library carries? Or would it be better to purchase the material that is more his level (the extension) and add a few of the self study books for fun reading?

The troubles of having an advanced reader :wink:

Thanks!
Teresa

StephanieU

Re: Self study history vs extension on preparing

Post by StephanieU » Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:08 pm

I would buy based on age and not on reading ability. Using books at hte library is fine when they fit, but Carrie picks the books to be age appropriate. So, some of the extension books might be a little beyond what you would want a 4th grader to read (violence, etc). Also, reading in a content area is different than reading fiction for fun. It is a different skill, so I wouldn't push beyound his age in that area at all.
DITHOR would be were you would push a little (using his current reading level or slightly lower), and then for free reading use his current reading level as well.
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

MomtoJGJE

Post by MomtoJGJE » Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:45 am

You don't choose between those two things. The independent history is part of the guide. If the guide as written isn't enough, then you add extensions. I personally would not add extensions to a 4th grader in Preparing...

luv2homeschool

Post by luv2homeschool » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:33 pm

Yes, the extension package is NOT a substitute for any other package. It is in addition to them.

The extensions are for older students, not just ones with a higher reading level.
Christine
DS 12, Rev to Rev
DD 10, Preparing
Our fifth year using HOD!