What level of DITHOR for next year?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
John'smom

What level of DITHOR for next year?

Post by John'smom » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:19 pm

So dd is in 4th grade this year and it was our first year of using DITHOR for her, so we went with level 2/3 workbook but with books from Level 4/5. We did CTC this year so she only got half of the 2/3 workbook done. My question is, should we just finish the 2/3 workbook next year for 5th grade or move on up to the 4/5 workbook? Not sure what to do. Thanks for any advice. I am inclined to finish the workbook as I don't want to waste it, but also don't want her to get behind either. Thanks again.
Edwena
*Married to my best friend for 16 yrs
*Mom to ds (15), dd (13), dd #2(3)
*Combining my dc in WG (2017-2018)
*Completed and absolutely loved BLHFHG through MTMM

MelInKansas

Re: What level of DITHOR for next year?

Post by MelInKansas » Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:35 pm

I have not used 4/5 yet, we are just getting ready to start it. I think the activities in 2/3 are plenty challenging enough for a child much older than 3rd grade. They challenge me sometimes! I am sure 4/5 does more indepth and gives them more independence. Also I think the activities may take longer to do. I think because at the 4/5 level they are supposed to be reading the books mostly on their own, the dynamic of how you do it in your day changes as well. However, you could have your DD read the books on her own if you feel her reading fluency is really good and she doesn't need help. My DD may be starting 4/5 but I am considering still having her read to me because I think her fluency can use a lot of work. At least, how she handles words she doesn't know or long words, is still pretty shaky.
Melissa
"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases
His mercies never come to an end"

DD12 - Rev to Rev + DITHOR 6/7/8
DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven

my3sons

Re: What level of DITHOR for next year?

Post by my3sons » Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:57 pm

I think you could go either way! :D I try to have each of my dc get through all of the 2/3, 4/5, and 6/7/8 Student Books once prior to high school, but that is just a personal goal. :wink: If dd is ready to move on to the 4/5 Student Book, you could always have a younger sibling finish out the remainder of the 2/3 Student Book. If the 2/3 is a more comfortable fit for dd now, then you can have her finish that out. Either way is a good option, depending on dc's overall needs! HTH!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie