K or 1st grade placement, LHFHG/beyond

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
faithmama4

K or 1st grade placement, LHFHG/beyond

Post by faithmama4 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:32 pm

I am wondering about placement for my second child. She is 6 now. She is just getting into the routine of having school on a regular basis. I consider her to be a K level but I am not sure. My first born was always very advanced. She is just starting to read cvc words with AAS. She is enjoying it but gets frustrated easily so we break up the lessons into 2-3 days each. She is doing early bird math B and has no difficulty with it.

I am wondering what skills are necessary for beyond? We read a lot so sitting for a story is not an issue for her. I am more concerned about her writing skills. I want her to be challenged but not too much so that she gets frustrated. I have a friend willing to lend me "beyond" for next year. What other skills need to be in place for beyond? I feel like there is such a narrow space between her being bored vs frustrated.

Any advice is appreciated!
Thanks!
Teresa

StephanieU

Re: K or 1st grade placement, LHFHG/beyond

Post by StephanieU » Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:05 pm

Beyond has handwriting as copy work (about 5 minutes copying from a poem) and spelling. It isn't a large amount of writing, but it does take a little maturity to copy from a poem, etc. You can look at the first week of each guide (posted on the HOD page for each guide) if you want to see the specific instructions for Language Arts.
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

faithmama4

Post by faithmama4 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:58 pm

Thank you Stephanie! I have been pouring over so much information trying to figure out what to use.

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:09 pm

Hi Teresa! :D You can also check out the placement chart, looking closely at the "Beyond Little Hearts for His Glory" column...
http://www.heartofdakota.com/placing-your-child.php

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

MomtoJGJE

Post by MomtoJGJE » Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:47 am

I think it sounds like she'd do great in Beyond. She will mature a lot in the next 4-5 months.

One thing I've done in Beyond when I had a weak writer was just have them do handwriting workbooks at the beginning instead of copy work. So you could start her now on one of the first grade handwriting options, and when she finises that while she's in Beyond she would start the copy work.

I've also just had them only do the spelling words for a while, then just one line of the poem per week, etc until they got to where they could do more.

Remember, it's not about how much they write, it's about doing it well.

Also, you could start out half speed if you feel you need to...

MomtoJGJE

Post by MomtoJGJE » Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:48 am

I think it sounds like she'd do great in Beyond. She will mature a lot in the next 4-5 months.

One thing I've done in Beyond when I had a weak writer was just have them do handwriting workbooks at the beginning instead of copy work. So you could start her now on one of the first grade handwriting options, and when she finises that while she's in Beyond she would start the copy work.

I've also just had them only do the spelling words for a while, then just one line of the poem per week, etc until they got to where they could do more.

Remember, it's not about how much they write, it's about doing it well.

Also, you could start out half speed if you feel you need to...