Boyhood and Beyond

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
StillJulie

Boyhood and Beyond

Post by StillJulie » Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:14 pm

This week we read about "Preparing for a Wife." What a great chapter! I just had to come here and comment on how I've loved watching my boy interact with his little sisters today. He's usually a pretty good big brother (with two of the three little girls anyway), but today has been phenomenal. And then there's the little girls' response to him. It's just made my heart smile. So I had to share.
16yo DD using US History 1 for 11th grade
14yo DS using World Geography for 9th grade
13yo DS using Rev to Rev for 7th grade
10yo DD using Creation to Christ for 5th grade
8yo DD using Bigger for 3rd grade
7yo DD using Beyond Hearts for 2nd grade

mshanson3121

Re: Boyhood and Beyond

Post by mshanson3121 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:20 am

We haven't started Beyond yet (next year!), but already, at 6.5, my son talks about his wife someday. It warms my heart to know that my husband and I have modeled a marriage that while not perfect (whose is?!), is obviously still such a positive example, that my son already picks up on it, and desires to have his own wife and children some day. It really makes me feel good!

momtofive

Post by momtofive » Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:03 am

StillJulie wrote:This week we read about "Preparing for a Wife." What a great chapter! I just had to come here and comment on how I've loved watching my boy interact with his little sisters today. He's usually a pretty good big brother (with two of the three little girls anyway), but today has been phenomenal. And then there's the little girls' response to him. It's just made my heart smile. So I had to share.
We found this to be true for us, as well! ;) Right down to the change in how we treat our younger sisters! :D The Bob Schultz books are really, really good. My boys relate well to his books, and seem to take the lessons to heart. After reading Boyhood and Beyond, we chose to do the Created For Work book this year. We thoroughly enjoyed that one, and were sad to reach the end of it. I'm thrilled (and so is my ds) that HOD scheduled Practical Happiness (for boys) to be done in the WG guide! :D

Thanks so much for sharing this, Julie! ;)
Lisa ~ Gal. 2:20, Prov. 3:5-6
Mom to five great blessings :)
Ds23 - Graduated from HOD!
Ds21 - Graduated from HOD!
Dd19 - Graduated from HOD!
Dd17 - US History 2
Dd16 - World History

Loving HOD since 2010!

raindrops

Post by raindrops » Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:27 pm

Awwww! That is wonderful. I sure would love to have heard their conversations! Your children are lovely. :)
9 yr old boy in Preparing
6 yr old girl loving all things LHFHG

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:58 pm

This book has a way of helping young boys begin thinking about becoming young Christian men that makes them WANT to be 'that guy.' It is not preachy, it is so down to earth, and the way Bob Schultz writes makes boys want to grow up to be Godly men. It is a diamond in the rough - what a talent that man had in writing. How I wish he was still here to write more!!! But God's timing is always right. My oldest ds is reading "Practical Happiness" by Bob Schultz for his Bible devotional in the HOD WG guide, and I find the same to be true - only with even more mature topics. I am so thankful for this Godly guidance for my sons, as my dh is not always comfortable talking about these things, and I don't know how to or even what topics to bring up sometimes. Thanks for posting this, and I am sure some lovely little Christian lady will reap the benefits of your ds practicing being a Godly man with his sisters someday! :D :D :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie